Re: [HCDX]: Acronyms [was: 6550U RCI etc.]

Re: [HCDX]: Acronyms [was: 6550U RCI etc.]

>I feel acronyms should be used only for stations in English-speaking
>countries. "RCI" or "BBC" okay, everyone will understand, even those
>whose native tongue isn't English.

It confuses some of us English-speakers, too.  After years of listening
to shortwave, I plunged again into medium wave about 1975 or so.  I
subscribed to a medium wave club newsletter and searched in vain for a
station signing off with SSB.  It took me a couple of months to realize
the reporters meant Star Spangled Banner and not Single Side Band.  When
there is room to type, one should give the phrase and acronym together,
or at least use the full phrase at the beginning:  "When I first started
listening to shortwave, one of the stations that became my favorite was
Radio Canada International (RCI) with its mix of news, music and DX news.
 RCI has a strong signal to most of North America. . ."    That way, the
acronym is tied with the name, and the reader knows what it means, or can
quickly find out.