Re: [HCDX]: Beverage Antennas

Patrick Martin wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have talked with others about beverages and they should not be any
> higher than 10 feet off the Ground and the antenna becomes less
> directional. Closer to the Ground the better. I run mine neighbors

<snip>

Up at my summer cottage on an indian Reserve on  The Bruce Peninsula (ON), I
often string beverages, which are usually just suspended on underbrush in
the forest -- never more than 4 feet above ground. I don't have much problem
in keeping these straight as keeping them intact. There are no deer or elk,
but there are porcupines who love to chew the vinyl coating on the wires,
and of course, the wires too!

At one time another hazard  to my beverages were kids. I once stretched a
1200 foot beverage made of stainless steel strand with colourful vinyl
coating. Large sections of the antenna kept disappearing. They were being
cut out and I continually had to patch the sections. Later, I saw some of
the local children wearing my antenna in the form of braided wire necklaces
and bracelets. The problem stopped when I gave a couple of them some lengths
of wire. I had kids coming by asking for more of the same wire more than
once that summer and  I still have a bracelet that one of them braided for
me. :-)
--
Regards,
Werner Funkenhauser