[HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Report 99-04

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-04, Jan 21, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only provided full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 973. See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor973.html

MUNDO RADIAL. Informe DX para enero/febrero a partir del 22 de
enero en WWCR, 9475, viernes a las 2215. Vease los guiones en
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Relmid.html (Hauser)

BULGARIA. R. Bulgaria will stop broadcasting in Spanish March 27
for economic reasons, reports Mario Pace, YV4FCU on the YV2FSW
DX net Jan 17. We call upon all DX organizations and colleagues
to send letters of protest to the station's management in order
to save this service (Jorge Garcia Rangel, Barinas, Venezuela,
via Hauser)

HONDURAS. New name of the 4930.6 San Pedro Sula station is
actually Ebenezer 12-20, R. Costenya (Henrik Klemetz, DX
Window) I.e. the biblical name; spelling it with an A was my
mistake, and pronunciation the same as the hypothesized
"Evenecer" (Hauser)

IRAN [non]. WWCR's Persian program on 12160 Jan 15 at 1100 IDed
as "R. International" -- the English word in the Persian ID. Was
playing an old tape from November with wrong frequency 15685. Gave
P O Box in London, England, and fax number in Toronto, Ont. Said
sister Kurdish program is on Thursday (not Tuesday as in WWCR
sked). The programme includes a talk on the "stupid" and
"disgusting" antics of Iranian intellectuals, but doesn't appear
to say what it favours for Iran's future (fewer intellectuals
perhaps?). (Chris Greenway, BBCM, WORLD OF RADIO 973)

The music behind the "R. Posesh" ID heard via WORLD OF RADIO is
from Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick", a piece recorded in 1972,
and occupying both sides of an LP (Frank van Gerwen, Castricum,
Netherlands, Jan 17 via Hauser)

IRELAND. R. Ozone International tests to North America checked
Jan 16-17; zilch at 2330-0130 on 5770. At 0847* heard closing
5770 to move to "6196.6" but actually on 6195.67 variable
plus/minus .05. Host with strong Dublin accent described himself
as being "knackered"; had used 6880 until 0145, and would stay
on here until 0945. Yep, he was knackered alright but yet it was
blatantly obvious throughout all the bleary talk that he was a
mild-mannered warm ol' aging rocker who had an armful of decent
vintage LPs that he wanted to share. You could only hear this
kind of radio out of love not money. Finally...Mr. Ozone's p-mail
drop, mentioned often enough in the broadcast, is in the UK, but
my guess is that this particular well-known old stalwart of the
pirate waves has not much to fear from the Irish authorities.

-Mr. Ozone, c/o 55 D Chester Road, London North 19 5DF, England.

(Finbarr O'Driscoll, Ireland, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

TONGA [et al.] Actually, Banana bushes will continue to grow for
several years after bearing fruit but will never bear again. so, an
antenna strung to a banana bush will last for a few years. (Rev.
Kenneth D. MacHarg, Miami Rescue Mission via Hauser) I trust this
will climax this vital thread in our reports ;) (Hauser)

U S A. The pirate operating on 1710 has also operated on 1630 and
1650. It operated on 1630 until it was occupied and later on 1650
until this clear channel was occupied. This operator then chose
1710 to settle on. When reception is good they seem to have very
good audio. The X band list I saw on one of the websites confirms
my suspcion. They are reported to be operating near Peoria IL.
This operator did not want to be chased off the X-band by US
domestic stations (Artie Bigley, Jan 14, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 973)

U S A. AFRTS/AFN is again much more active on its three USB relay
frequencies lately--often heard on two or three of them at once,
4278.5, 6458.5 and 12689.5. I continue to suspect 6458.5 may not
be at Key West, but Puerto Rico instead (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD
OF RADIO 973)                                                 ###