From: owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Patrick Martin
Sent: Monday, January 25, 1999 11:48 PM
To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [HCDX]: Re: Beverages

With the beverages on the Oregon Coast, I pick up a fair amount of
static and noise during exteme conditions. Not just on rge beverages,
but eben on car radios and portables. I remember 30 years ago when
driving across a bridge into Astoria where I was a college student,
during rain & hail I would pick up on the car radio a squeal across the
whole MW dial. You could even hear it under the local stations at times.
I would guess it was some kind of static buldup from the storms. We have
very little lightening around here and rarely does it ever strike
anything. I have even Dxed during a listening storm using beverages (as
a kid) with an old tube radio. Except for the noise, I could DX fine.
The AU conditions were so wild I was hear all sorts on South Pacific MW
stations all night. I wouldn't do that today, especiall with solidstate
gear. I still get the squeal across the dial at times to this day in the
Winter months mostly. It seems to be frequency sensitive though. Some
frequencies it is stronger, others not. All my antennas have home brew
matching transformers and Co-ax (RG58, 59, and RG6), so I don't get the
direct colege to the receiver which is much safer.

73s,
Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR  (USA)