Re: [HCDX]: hard-core-dx

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:14:35 cdt john r dale <jrd-four@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>It's Slinky!  It's Slinky!
>For fun it's a wonderful toy!
>It's Slinky!  It's Slinky!
>It's fun for the DXing boy!

I use one as well. I use 8 of the bad boys terminated into a ground rod
with 2.8k resistance. It is fed with a piece of coax with the shield
grounded and it KILLS noise big time.

>I have a Slinky stretched across the room, feeding a section of coaxial
>cable into my R8A and DX398.  I tried connecting it using just wire, but
the
>noise level was tremendous. Using coaxial cable really cut down on
>the noise.

This is the absolute truth. It is noisy until you ground the shield on
the coax. If you get it outside with the shield grounded and then
terminate it then you will get almost no noise. You have 80' of wire in
that slinky and if it is inside the house it will probably pick up all
kinds of noise.

>I have five Slinky toys ready for the first bit of warm weather so I
>can go out on a DXpedition.

I used cable ties to hold the ends of all the slinkys butt to butt. You
probably could use clamps or alligator clips too.

>That would give me almost a
>1000-foot antenna in a smaller space.  Maybe.   I hope.

I will be adding another slinky tomorrow. That will give me 720' of wire.
I am working towards the 1000' mark as soon as I can figure out where to
put it.

Ragnar