Re: [HCDX]: Radio Tanpa

At 15:10 +0900 3/9/99, Marie A. Lamb wrote:
>No, it is not "Tanpa."  On their own QSLs, it says "Radio Tampa," as I
>have seen myself. And the "Tampa" spelling has nothing to do with the
>Florida city, but is a Japanese word.
>
>It has been under this spelling in both WRTH and Passport for the past few
>years; the two books used to use different spellings, but WRTH changed
>to the "Tampa" spelling a few years ago, so now both books use the same
>one.
>
>I believe that both books also mention "NSB", for "Nihon Shortwave
>Broadcasting."

Box, Marie and all,

Tanpa/tampa is the Japanese word for "shortwave." Since the station clearly
prefers the spelling "Tampa," maybe it should be Radio Tampa, but in
Japanese our orthography is the word should be written "Tanpa" (in three
syllables TA-N-PA), even if the real pronunciation is more like Tampa
because the 'n' occurs before a 'p.'

For the station name I agree that "Tampa" is preferred (by the station),
but when writing "shortwave" in romanized Japanese, I would render the word
as "tanpa" rather than "tampa," because that is more widely practiced.

The Japanese name of NSB is "Nihon Tampa Hoso," and they have used the
nickname "Radio Tampa" since 1979.

Sonny