[HCDX]: farewell to WCC

Greetings to all.  The old WCC tower in South Chatham was
recently demolished.  WCC, owned by RCA and later MCI, operated
good old Morse code for ship-to-shore service on 436 kHz and
sometimes on the former distress channel of 500 kHz just below
the AM broadcast band.  This station, running big power out of
the middle of a salt marsh, had a killer signal all over the
northeastern US and adjacent Canada.  It was frequently logged
in Europe.  I heard it well in Ireland back in 1977.

I wonder where all the WCC equipment is going to go.  Likely
there were some excellent receivers and transmitters on the
premises, as well as test equipment, tools, and parts.  I'd
rather see DXers and hams recycle it than have it all get buried
or incinerated somewhere.

You can access the Cape Cod Times story about the closing of
this chapter in radio history by pointing your Web browser to:
" http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/archives/1999/mar/3_19/rca19.htm "

73 / good DX ... Mark