[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX 99-17

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 984 -- See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor984.html

OUR NEW E-MAIL: Please stop using hotmail and replace with:
wghauser@xxxxxxxxx

COLOMBIA. R. Macarena, 5975, has been replaced by R. Autentica,
Villavecencio, heard April 2 at 1130-1210, part of the Cadena Radial
Autentica de Colombia, an evangelical organization (Rafael Rodriguez,
Bogota, via Hauser)

COSTA RICA. Glenn, Just entered http://www.rfpi.org into my browser and
connected to the new webpage.  Started trying it this Saturday after
hearing the mailbag show.  Couldn't connect to either website until
Sunday when I got the old one. Tried it today and the new one worked.
(John H. Carver Jr., Mid-North Indiana, April 7)

ISRAEL. Whatever became of the 5-minute English news in "prime time"
which would now be at 2330 on 15640, 15615, etc., during Hebrew? Not
heard at least since A-99 began, and confirmed missing April 8 (Joe
Hanlon, Glenn Hauser)

KOREA (SOUTH). Last minute changes for KBS relays via Sackville
(announced March 28). Spanish for South America will remain at 30
minutes for the time being, although there are plans to increase the
time to a full hour in the near future.  Now heard 1000-1030 UT on
11715, followed by English for the US 1030-1100 on 11715 (replaces
previously announced 9650 kHz 1100-1130 UT). Good reception in U.K. of
English on 11715.

Also, English for Europe relayed from BBC Skelton is now 2100-2130 and
not 2200-2230 as previously announced.  Still on 3970 kHz. (Alan Holder,
Isle of Wight, April 6 via Hauser)

LITHUANIA. It seems the new 100 kW transmitter at Sitkunai is finally
on
the air. I heard them from the beginning of April, 0900-0930
Lithuanian;
0930-1000 English; 1000-1200 Domestic Services (I) and (II) in
Lithuanian - all on 9710 kHz for Europe.

Good signal here. Still co-channelling with Australia, but dominating
until after 1000 when the Australians start to fade out.  The audio is
more "punchy" so they are obviously using a processor.  Hopefully
Lithuania can be persuaded to move to a better frequency.

Presumably they are using the new transmitter instead of Juelich for
the
US on 9855 kHz 0000-0100 UTC for North America. (Alan Holder, Isle of
Wight, April 6 via Hauser)

LITHUANIA [non?]. Subject: Loud Lithuania

For the last few days I have been receiving a very strong signal from
Radio Vilnius at 09:30 on 9710 kHz in English. Some time ago I heard
that LRTV was about to install new transmitters but I believe this
newly
improved signal is coming from Juelich. On the subject of Juelich: a
correction to the SRI schedule given last month.  English at 05:30 on
13635 is from Juelich as at 04:00. Regards, (Peter Hallam, N. Ireland,
April 6 via Hauser)

PERU. 6987.1 RADIO SAN MIGUEL DE EL FAIQUE. 2245-2330  April 3 New
freq.
ex 6895.2  Mx Folk. Advs. Bodeguita Virgen de las Mercedes, renovadora
de calzado El Paisano, Hostal Restaruant La Esperanza. ID: "Desde la
Region Grau, Dpto de Piura renace una luz en los andes peruanos,
comunicando e informando dia a dia en un instante llegando a sus
hogares
con la orientacion y difusion de la palabra... Radio San Miguel de El
Faique fiel guardiana de su frontera..." (Rafael Rodriguez R., Santa Fe
de Bogota, DC, Colombia, April 6 via Hauser)

ROMANIA. I've been listening to Radio Romania International every
evening while preparing dinner.  At 2300, reception on 11810 starts out
only fair, but don't give up. Reception improves as the hour
progresses,
ending up fairly good by 2400 sign-off. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., April 8,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

SERBIA. I monitored Radio Yugoslavia in Eng, now at 0000-0030 on 9580
(Mon-Sat I presume), then in Serbian 0030-0100 with sign-off at 0100.
I kept listening for them to mention of their new schedule, but they
didn't. I've noted that they devote the last part of their broadcast
to listeners comments on the current crisis there.  I also tuned in
9580 Apr. 6 at 0530, but Africa #1 was all I heard. They're also on
6100
& 6185 at 2100, but those aren't propagating to NAm very well as summer
approaches. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., April 6, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

SERBIA. I heard Radio Yugoslavia mention their schedule at the end of
the 0000 broadcast April 7, in which they included both the 0100/0530
and 0000/0430 timings to North America.  It seems that they just tacked
on the revised NAm timings  to the end of their old schedule, not
bothering to remove the old timings.  At least they got the freq of
9580
right! (Ivan Grishin, Ont., REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

SERBIA. In support of Operation Allied Force, elements of the
Pennsylvania Air National Guard's 193rd Special Operations Wing have
deployed to Germany. Two of the unit's "Commando Solo" aircraft left
Harrisburg International Airport Saturday night [March 27], along with
one support aircraft.

Additional personnel and equipment will depart in a military airlift
later this week. In all, approximately 100 members of the 193rd will
take part in the mission.

The "Commando Solo," which the 193rd flies, is a specially modified
EC-130 turboprop aircraft. It serves as an airborne broadcasting
platform, transmitting messages over radio and television frequencies.

Previous deployments have been carried out in support of the Persian
Gulf War and during operations in Haiti and Bosnia (Steven Thomma and
Richard Parker, of Knight Ridder, Washington, in Harrisburg Patriot-
News March 29 via P-mail from Brian Alexander, WORLD OF RADIO 984)

UGANDA [non]. Kony's Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebels in the north
have launched a SW station against Pres. Museveni on "shortwaves one
and two" based in southern Sudan heard very weakly daily at 5 pm [1400
UT] (The Monitor website, Kampala, April 6 via BBC Monitoring,
summarized by gh)

U S A. Re the net on 7450 that you reported in your latest SW/DX Report,
that's a RACES (radio amateur civil emergency service) net located in
Arizona. It sounds like a ham net because they are hams. Like most HF
net operation, it's a "closed shop" of people who have known each other
forever. (Harry Helms, CA via Hauser)

VIETNAM. New frequencies for VoV broadcasts direct from Hanoi.  13740
kHz and 9730 kHz replacing 12020 and 9840.  Heard in English for Europe
1800, 1900 and 2030 UT.  Good signals on 13740 but severe heterodyne on
9730. (Alan Holder, Isle of Wight, April 6 via Hauser)             ###