[HCDX]: a DXcellent session at Granite Pier

[HCDX]: a DXcellent session at Granite Pier

Greetings to all.  I've started the after-work DX sessions
that I do on (about) a once a month basis during the milder
weather.  Thursday evening's outing to Granite Pier in
Rockport, MA was a success on several levels.

A BBL-1 Broadband Loop was run in the "K9AY" mode.  A
fairly good amount of cardioid pattern nulling was
obtainable with the 6 ft. (1.8 m) per side square loop
with one end of it connected to chassis ground through
a Vactrol (voltage controlled resistor).

With a cardioid pattern already somewhat established
by the "mini-K9AY" antenna itself, phasing its output
against the active whip gave an extraordinary amount
of nulling: most New York City stations - usually
obnoxious pests - were reduced below the strengths of
adjacent Europeans !

DX highlights included Israel-1206; Greece-981, 1179,
& 1512; Egypt - 774, 819, & 864; tentative Iran-1503;
plus the usual blasters from Kuwait and Saudi Arabia
during a "power burst" of Levant / Middle East reception
(DX times: 8 APR 2215 UTC to 9 APR 0115 UTC).  Some
signals came close to pinning the S-meter.

Many Europeans were strong (Croatia-1134 trashing WBBR,
etc.).

More details later ... Mark