[HCDX]: G Hauser's SW/DX Report 99-18

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 985: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor985.html

WORLD OF RADIO ON WWCR: The new Saturday 1130 airing on 12160 is
now expected to start April 17; the Sunday 0930 on 5070 is expected
to end April 25 or May 2

AUSTRALIA. RA's Feedback was missing without apology or explanation,
when checked at usual 0005 UT Sat April 10 on 21740; instead, Asia-
Pacific, Saturday edition. Via John Norfolk, new posted schedule shows
Feedback shifted to 0030 by when I had quit listening. Extracting all
the Feedback times: UT Fri 2110, Sat 0030, 0610, Sun 0330. Also check
out Media Report, UT Thu 2330 etc. (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 985)

AUSTRIA. ORF's German DX programs are now scheduled:

Intermedia: Fr 1605, 2105; Sa 0105, 0405, 0805, 1105, 2005; So 1930.
DX-Telegramm: Fr 1225, 1550, 1825, 2225; Sa 0725, 0925; So 0555, 1955.

Some frequencies to try for these in NAm:

0105-0230 9655; 1100-1130, 1200-1230 13730 (Hauser, from printed
schedule via Maryanne Kehoe)

BELGIUM. RVI's see-saw tilts the other way this week, with Radio
World missing from the UT Sunday April 11 0400 broadcast on 15565,
but instead Music from Flanders, which is the Saturday feature. So
this time they decided to put Radio World on UT Monday as the *last*
transmission of the day's cycle, confirmed April 12. BTW, I usually
find this broadcast ironically marred by adjacent channel Dutch on
15560, presumably R. Nederland; site? (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO
985)

BULGARIA. Someone from R. Bulgaria was interviewed on REE's Radio
Waves April 11; mentioned that they now have English and some other
languages on RA at http://www.nationalradio.bg where you may choose
the two domestic services, or R. Bulgaria external. They pointed out
that Sofia is awfully close, as I had noticed, to Kosovo (Glenn
Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

CANADA. Thanks to tip from CBC Hotsheet, I was waiting for a new series
from April 11 during the last hour of This Morning -- Sunday. Or if
it's a repeat, it's new to me: "From Naked Ape to Superspecies" --
8 parter on human culture and its impact on the natural world, with
David Suzuki. This was Sunday at 1506 on 13650; the only announced
and listed parallel now, 17800, was occupied by something in French,
probably RFI, with something underneath producing subaudible heterodyne
but I was never able to confirm as RCI. Show was pretty good; next
week's episode: The Ecological Footprint. Says it's also running Monday
nights on Ideas. Series is available on cassette for C$39.95 ppd, taxe
inclue, from 416-205-7367 or the usual addresses (gh)

   NAKED APE TO SUPERSPECIES:

This Sunday morning David Suzuki begins a new, special
series on CBC Radio One. From Naked Ape to Superspecies is
a kind of taking stock, about the impact human beings are
having on the natural world, as we approach the end of the
millennium. This week, Suzuki focuses on biodiversity and
how human beings may be less important in the scheme of
things than we think. That's From Naked Ape to Superspecies,
beginning Sunday morning at 11:00 (11:30 NT) on CBC Radio
One.  (CBC Hotsheet via REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

CHINA. Best frequency for CRI in English at 1200 is now 11675; however
there is FEBA co-channel until 1220 (Joe Hanlon, PA, April 10 via
Hauser)

COSTA RICA. Notes from RFPI Mailbag, April 9 with Debra and James
Latham: Verifications currently not by card but by QSL letter, uniquely
on recycled banana paper. Having severe problem getting Pacifica News
downloaded; takes 3-4 hours nightly trying to get it and piece it
together. Re-evaluating whether it is really worth the trouble, trying
to get Pacifica to send RFPI a file directly. Interns at RFPI are
doing a daily Kosovo report based on news from internet, 5-8 minutes
"throughout the day" but no specific times given -- I've yet to run
across it. People continue to be confused by grid program schedule and
the fact that UT days are one day ahead of NAm days in our evenings.
I say, keep the sked that way, but always accompany with a fine print
explanation as done on this program and have two time/day columns, one
UT and the other CST/MDT. New website is up and running,
http://www.rfpi.org and new E-mail: info@xxxxxxxx
Anyhow, the old website and address will remain usable (Glenn Hauser,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

IRAN [non]. New Info on WWCR Persian (Farsi) Radio International Program
Today (4-12-99) I have listened to WWCR on 15685 at 1300 UT in Persian
(Farsi) Radio International. Radio International program is a pro
communist program. Seems to me they are connected to the Iranian
Communist Labor Party (It is outlawed in Iran).  They have mentioned
their fax number for contacts. Fax: 416-515-6722 (anon.)

IRAQ. Dear Glen, Just a note to say that I heard Radio Iraq
International on 8th April at 21:17 UTC freq. 9685 Khz. Ident in
English 'This is Baghdad'; very poor audio, sounded like
they were running on low voltage.  Tx suddenly off at 21:28 UTC.
73s (Jonathan Kempster, England, WORLD OF RADIO 985)

MONGOLIA. As heard mentioning a couple weeks ago, VOM has moved from
12085 to 12015 for English; heard April 13 at 1130 in Standard Chinese
on 12015; and 1200 opening English with new schedule: Au 1200 12015;
SAs 1500 9720, 12015; Eu 1900 9720, 12015 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD
OF RADIO 985)

NIGERIA [non]. ABS Radio did not appear on RFPI the third week, as
scheduled Thu April 8 at 2030 on 15049 and 21460-USB -- instead,
without explanation, Music Medicine played (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

U S A. This Friday afternoon, April 9, I was within reach of a SW radio
at 2030 for WBCQ 7415, to check for Jean Shepherd show as Al Weiner
had previously mentioned on AWW, but which is missing from the posted
WBCQ schedule which doesn't show anything before 1730 ET on Friday --
when you have a website, why not post accurate program schedules,
changed as often as necessary, even if it includes "unofficial" filler??
Indeed, filler info is more needed than anything else. There it was, but
reception was so noisy I couldn't really follow it, despite Shepherd's
ranting -- no soft-spoken storytelling here. Turned out to be a WOR [the
other one] aircheck from the 1960s, as Richard Nixon was referred to as
"former Vice President" (tho if one disapproved of him while President
might well be identified thus). Around 2102-2107 we had full ID for WOR
AM and FM, New York, commercials, a period newscast, and back to more
Shepherd, tho J.S. was supposed to be on at "4:30-5" Eastern. Never
heard a WBCQ ID. Finally at 2118 Gary Bourgois wrapped it up for WBCQ on
his satellite feed from Marquette (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 985)

U S A and non. OPERATION ALLIED FORCES

None of this info is classified. It is public knowledge and has been
in print for years. Anything sensitive on HF would be encrypted.

All frequencies given are HF and all are USB. Possible frequencies.
Those which are highlighted on this copy are indicated here by *,
presumably meaning actually monitored lately or known to be active -

4724, 6693, 6865, 8046, *8921, *8968, 89791, *8992, 9118.5, 9269,
9620, *11175, 15016, 16442.5, 16444, 17976

Navy Hi Command: *6697, *11267

Operation Allied Force activity heard: *2962, *6628, *8825, *11140,
*13354

*11300 hot! Serbian fighters, excited Americans(?) English. This is
 an international ATC frequency

Royal Airforce: 4742

French Airforce: 6712 -- callsign Circus Vert  Code: Cotam xxx
11239, 11245, *11175, 6959, 3930

GHFS US Milcomms: 4724, 6739, 8992, 11715, 13200, 15016

Flight Watch Weather: 11243

USAF: 4724, 6712, *6739, *8968, *8992, 9016, 9023, 9037, 10780,
*11175, 11244, 11271, *13200, 15015, 17975

E3 AWACS: 3900, *5691, *8980, *10315, 23214, *10315, 6700, 11228,
8971, 6760, 6695, 3081, 3225, 4542, 4720, 4758, 6762.5, *8986.5,
11270.5, 15050, 17996.5, 6754, *8980

Andrews AFB: *10086, *11244

NATO Forces:

3178 "Bookshelf Net"
4724 USAF Primary GHFS
5218 "Bookshelf Net"
6693 USN Voice Co-ordination
6712 USAF Primary GHFS
6728 AWACS
6739 USAF Primary GHFS
6761 USAF air refueling primary
6865, 6932.5, 8046 "Bookshelf Net'
8992 USAF Primary GHFS
9118.5
9260
*10315 NATO Naval Command Net
*16642.5 Naval Hotel Tracking Net

(Bob Thomas, CT, April 4) This is an informal checksheet, accounting
for duplications and unclear categorization in some cases (gh)

Serbian fighters heard on 11300 USB with very excited English speaking
shots, possibly Americans?

11175 USB, and 10204 secondary, US GHFC Main, code numbers, weather
requests and weather data given; Andrews, Ascension, Thule, Incirlik

Comms heard on 6912

8968.0 code numbers, wx, initial comms, told next contact to go to 8992
which is a main active frequency

NATO freqs on USB: 5325, 6729, 6773

There's been talk about people with HF access making anti-US/anti-NATO
comments and shouting rhetoric on MilComm freqs. OM/YL radio ops have
ingored them. I'm sure if they heard them they're slightly taken aback
that people would go on MilComm HF with statements. It wasn't done
PGWI or PGWII [Persian Gulf Wars I and II] (Bob Thomas' notes, CT,
April 9, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 985)
                                                                     ###