[HCDX]: Station ID's and a good report

As an avid SWL, I have been a member of this list for some time now. I
am always amazed at the posts to the list asking for help identifying a
station heard but not ID'ed. The following excerpts from recent email to
this list say it all...

This morning, I received a station broadcasting in Spanish on 6712 kHz.
What station is that? Maybe it was Peruvian?

Or

Some days ago I heard an unid South American station with a very strong
signal just before sign off at 0100 UTC on 1620 kHz.  Anyone with any
idea on this?

The passion that drives us as SWL'ers should include getting the station
ID ourselves... not soliciting help from others when either our
equipment or language limitations preclude us from determining a given
station's ID. How can anyone  (in all honestly) QSL a station heard if
you have to seek help from others to determine the ID. Let us not forget
the premise of this list server, according to the HCDX FAQ it is
"shortwave/mediumwave listeners who try to listen to rare, weak and
previously unheard broadcasting stations." There is nothing in the
statement that suggests we should rely on this list when we are not able
to do the job ourselves.

We should all strive to stick with the weak stations and get the ID's
ourselves... then come to this list server with our personal success
stories. Let the victory be yours and yours alone.

Paul B. Peters
StoneyGround Station

"Learn to listen... so you can listen to learn"