Re: [HCDX]: Station ID's and a good report

Re: [HCDX]: Station ID's and a good report

> "Paul B. Peters" <pbpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>The passion that drives us as SWL'ers should include getting the station
>ID ourselves... not soliciting help from others when either our
>equipment or language limitations preclude us from determining a given
>station's ID.

Ah, but where do you draw the line? I know i have in many instances
recived help from, and helped other DXers to VERIFY that what they
or i thought was on the tape really was there.

I find that kind of outside assistance unvaluable. If you have a
weak station, that no one have heard in your region before, then it
helps to have another set of ears verify that what you think is the
station ID really is. That have saved me from sending some reports
that would have been embarrising early in my career. And that help has
also got me som VERY nice stations in my QSL collection.

I cannot agree that you should do everything without help. A good
example is when me and a friend logged Radio Horizonte in Peru when it
just had started its broadcasts. Both of us knew that it was a Peruvian,
and that it was a new station, and we where quite sure that the name was
Radio Horizonte. But the help we got from outside sources really helped
us nail this one down. And to get the address to the station, which is
equally important. :)

I could quote many more examples of loggings where outside help have
helped me get that QSL. So i think outside help is good for the DXing
community. Its a good way to educate those that just have started and thinks
every logging is something rare, (im sure we all been there more or less :) )
to the experienced that need help to verify that it really was that
rare station that they heard.

> Let us not forget
>the premise of this list server, according to the HCDX FAQ it is
>"shortwave/mediumwave listeners who try to listen to rare, weak and
>previously unheard broadcasting stations." There is nothing in the
>statement that suggests we should rely on this list when we are not able
>to do the job ourselves.

There's nothing in that statement that suggest the opposite either.
Cooperation is good IMO.

>We should all strive to stick with the weak stations and get the ID's
>ourselves... then come to this list server with our personal success
>stories. Let the victory be yours and yours alone.

If we all sit in our chambers and listen and only report the loggings
that we are shure of then the hobby of DXing will fail to evolve, or
evolve more slowly. Reporting possible loggings (as probables)
get others to try to hear the same stations at the same time from the
same area. In the long run that means that DXing evolves and new
openings against other continents are discovered. No i dont think
everything is known about propagation yet. Im quite sure that it isn't.

>"Learn to listen... so you can listen to learn"

Thats good. But i would like to say "Share what you listen to.. so that
other may learn to listen."

/Thomas Grennefors (TG)