[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX Report 99-24

         GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-24, June 3, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

WORLD OF RADIO BACK ON THURSDAYS. WWCR has switched our 2030 time
on 15685 from Tuesdays back to Thursdays, as of May 27. This will
make the first airing on WOR more timely again. WOR on WWCR is now:

Thu 2030 15685
Sat 1130 12160
Sun 0230 5070
Sun 0630 5070
Mon 0501 3210
Tue 1230 15685

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 991. See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor991.html

BELGIUM [non]. More mixups at RVI: Checking for Radio World via
Bonaire 15565 at 0400, UT Sun May 30 had Music from Flanders; UT Mon
May 31 no Radio World but Friday? program (Joe Hanlon, PA, June 1,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

CANADA/INDONESIA. I spoke with the CBC's frequency manager's secretary
about 15150 at 1900-2100, and told her how RCI was clashing with the
Voice of Indonesia. She told me she would look into this problem and
speak to Mr. Hendro Martono, the director of the English service, VOI.
She had no intentions of moving to a different frequency, but I indeed
told her that they are also broadcastiong to Asia and Africa at that
same time (Gordon Hein, Jr., Alcester SD, May 17, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

CHINA [non]. CRI relay at 2300 on 5990 is still intermittent, missing
entirely some days and sometimes having mixing problems when they are
on (Ivan Grishin, Ont., May 25, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

COLOMBIA [non]. FARC has just set up an FM station in Stockholm,
Sweden, R. Cafe Stereo, 88.4 at 0815-1045; slogan calls for seizing
Colombian embassies in Europe (Semana website, Bogota, May 17 via
BBC Monitoring (C) summarised by Hauser)

COSTA RICA. RFPI news from the Mailbag as repeated June 2 at 0330 with
James Latham and Joe Bernard: Have given up on carrying Pacifica News,
due to $2000 cost for affiliation required, and 3-4 hours of
downloading it took to get the half-hour show. Instead, RPFI from
May 31 and for the new programming quarter from June 1, is starting its
own production, Progressive Network News, M-F at 2200, length varying
20-30 minutes; includes Kosovo report, and Chiapas news. The FM
transmitter [101.3] is being moved to a hilltop for better coverage.
Expects to get a grant from Rotary to install for backup power a
"massive photovoltaic array"; and a 1000-watt wind generator, which
they hope will not get blown away itself! 15050 has been off the air
due to lightning strikes [but on as of June 2] and 21460 has been off
with a fan problem, but back soon [also on as of June 2]. Everything is
recycled at RFPI, including computer paper, printing it on both sides.
Institute for Progressive Communication has some great students, and
three from May are staying over another month in June [and presumably
involved in PNN production]. (via Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

CUBA. RHC's DXers Unlimited was playing the tape backwards, at 0330
UT Wed [May 26, I believe -gh], but was forwards at 0130 (George
Thurman, TX) Haven't heard it past couple weeks but nothing about
this on June 1 show; did Arnie ever say anything about the China
relays, forwards or backwards? Check his scripts at website
http://www.radiohc.org (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 991)

EUROPE. SWRS, Shortwave Relay Service, 11470-USB, heard May 9 0720 with
Euro-pops. Many multi-lingual IDs with Wuppertal, Germany address.
Acknowledged listeners' letters; weak, but in the clear with quiet
conditions. Also May 14-15, 2310-0230+. Variety of rap, US pops, Euro
pops. IDs and Germany address. Heard throughout my local evening with
SWRS programming and also rebroadcasting several different pirates,
including WLIQ. Fair-good; gone at 0303 check (Brian Alexander, PA,
WORLD OF RADIO 991)

FINLAND [non]. Subject: NUNTII LATINI

Glenn, You can read YLE's Weekly Latin news broadcast on the CBC's web
site at:

http://www.cbc4kids.ca/general/whats-new/latin-news/mainlatin.html

Also includes an English translation and interesting comments.
The website includes previous newscasts. CBC Radio's overnight service
carries YLE, which explains the connection bwtween YLE & CBC (Ivan
Grishin, May 25, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

GREECE. V. of Greece at 0000-0350 to NAm is on 12105 ex-15630, but
still //11645, 9420, 7450 (Joe Hanlon, PA, June 1, WORLD OF RADIO 991)

NEW ZEALAND. I heard RNZI change freqs at 1130 from 9700 to 6100 on May
24 to carry a silly ball game.  I thought they were supposed to use
6105 when they're on late.  WSHB on 6095 was making life difficult for
NZ on 6100. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., May 25, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

NIGERIA [non]. See the latest SENTECH update below. The two "WRN"
transmissions at 1900-2000 on 6205 and 11560 are obviously R. Kudirat
Nigeria, which in an open (?) secret is fed from London studios via WRN
satellite facilities - but according to this has just been deleted. Is
anyone still hearing them?? Nothing audible here June 2 at 1900 on
11560 but that's inconclusive (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 991)

SOMALIA. R. Mogadishu, V. of the People of the Somali Republic, in
support of Husayn Muhammad Aydid, was heard May 19 at 1700 on 6980,
for the first time in over three months. There had been reports of
technical and staff disputes at the station ((C) BBC Monitoring May
19 summarised by Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 991)

SOUTH AFRICA. More freq changes for Channel Africa arrived on Saturday:

UTC   UTC Freq.  Antenna Power
from  to  in khz bearing in kw Studio Remarks
1900-2000 11560   330    250   WRN    (deleted)
1900-2000  6205   328    250   WRN    (deleted)
http://home.mweb.co.za/an/andre46/
(Comments to Andre du Toit.    adutoit@xxxxxxxxxx  May 29 via BC-DX
May 31)

U K O G B A N I.  Hi Glenn, Merlin Network One made its last 24 hour
broadcast May 28. It is now only on the air Monday to Friday 1600-1700
on 6175 via Skelton (Mike Barraclough, England, May 29)

It'll be interesting to see how and if Eric Wiltsher explains the
drastic cuts to SW from MNO -- he's been such a promoter, tho always
regarded SW as secondary (Hauser)

I've checked the 1600 6175 Monday to Friday broadcast and it is Roy
Masters Foundation of Human Understanding which according to the Jaybee
Newsline, which is a telephone based information service, has a paid
contract with MNO. The satellite service is apparently continuing and
they are talking about putting the network out on the internet, (Mike
Barraclough, England, June 1, WORLD OF RADIO 991)

VIETNAM. This English programme schedule just in from the Voice of
Vietnam; currently heard at 1700-1728 on 12070 via Russia; 1800-1828,
1900-1928, 2030-2058 on 13740 (Edwin Southwell, England, May 30)

Daily: News and Current Affairs
followed Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri by Press Review.

Final items are:

Mon - Vietnam Land and People
Tue - Vietnam Culture and Sports
Wed - Letter Box & Talk of the Week
Thu - Vietnam Economy; Business Forum
Fri - Rural Vietnam
Sat - Weekly Review; Historical Events; Music
Sun - Sunday Show (via Southwell, WORLD OF RADIO 991)          ###