[HCDX]: TFW 93 3/3

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright   Part  2
Year   4  Number 93   - Rome, 10 August 1999

KOSOVA-  [non]. I am helping a group of Kosovo refugees here in
Manchester, NH. We have a short wave radio and want to help them learn
of news from their homeland in their native language. Most of them
don't speak any English. I have the Yugoslavian station, but it is a
bunch of bogus propaganda I really don't think they want to listen to.
If you can offer any help, it would be appreciated. (Mike Pelletier
peletier@xxxxxxxxxx 603 624 9375 Manchester, NH via REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-31, July 22,
1999)

NAMIBIA- 3270 - NBC was inactive for nearly 2 months; is back on the
air, good reception at 00.30 as well as on 3290 July 21.  (Mahendra
Vaghjee, Mauritius, WORLD OF RADIO 998 / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32,
July 27)

PIRATE EUROPE- From a messagge of Peter Moore-Radio Caroline: "Can you
tell your people that Caroline will be on air on 1503AM  from the first
moments of July 26th and then continuous for twenty eight days. The
power is low and the signal is not intended to go far,  but with luck
some people may hear it at distant locations. The ship is based in Essex
at Southend." (Pecolatto, Italy / Radiorama Pirate News July 99 # 04)

PIRATE EUROPE- Right now it's 0245z, 18th July and I'm listening to R
Pasteur via SWRS on 21860kHz... I believe this is unscheduled  and I am
really surprised that it's making it to NZ on this frequency... there
are NO other Europeans audible on 13mb (maybe no-one else is using this
band from there at this time). (Paul Ormandy, New Zealand)

PIRATE SOUTH AMERICA- Pirates Logs, Txs Via Radio Cochiguaz:  Saturday
10/7/99 2300-2400 6950 kHz, LSB Radio Torenvalk International, pop mx,
netherlands mx.SINPO 43443 --- Sunday 11/7/99 0000-0030 Radio Dr. Tim,
pop mx, SINPO 43443 --- 0030-0100 Jolly Roger Radio Intern., ireland mx,
SINPO 43443 --- 0100-0145 Radio Blandengue, la mx, pop mx singer "Fito
Paez", SINPO 42332, hard QRM. --- 0200-0300 Radio Cochiguaz, la mx, hard
QRM.  73´s  (Enrique Alejandro Wembagher, Argentina)

PORTUGAL- Like John Figliozzi of sw programs, I have been keeping an ear
on 21655 for RDP Int'l African service, which has been missing lately.
Finally on July 19 at 1631 check I could detect it amid the usual
BBC-21660 Ascension splash -- BBC is not too strong, but always stronger
than Portugal here, and one would think, in Africa. But a sesquiminute
later 21655 was gone; back on and off at  1641; on again at 1708, maybe
for a while, but not when I rechecked at 1910. So they are obviously
having transmitter problems, but trying to get it back on. Then the next
day, July 20, I listened to music from 1830 until deliberate closing at
1900* after precise   timesignal. Altho it used to be audible as late as
2400 UT, it was seldom strong enough to enjoy the music. This time BBC
was off, but there was some splash from French Guiana on 21645.
Radio-escutas item thinks they will be turning off 21655, unfortunately
for  Brazilians who listened to it in the daytime, once the FM relay in
Guinea-Bissau be back on (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF  INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-31, July 22, 1999)

SERBIA-  As Karel Honzik pointed out, "Milosevic" keeps getting
mis-pronounced by American newscasters. They think they've got it licked
by making the -c correctly a "ch" sound, instead of a -k -- but the "s"
is pronounced "sh". Since his name is originally spelt with
Serbian/Cyrillic letters, we wonder why it was not transliterated
correctly in the first place! Such transliterations should be phonetic;
there is noexcuse for making the spelling and pronunciation any more
confusing than necessary. So it should be spelt in Roman/English:
MILOSHEVITCH. Pronouncing his name correctly is the only courtesy this
SOB deserves (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32, July 27)

SRI LANKA - Have just heard VOA Iranawila with POP tests carrying
regular programming on 17650 at 0000z with program in Tibetan 10-15dB/9,
also on 15565 in English 30-35dB/9 and 15115 in Tibetan
20-25dB/9...(Paul Ormandy, New Zealand)

TAIWAN- Thursday 22nd July 1999: MERLIN COMMUNICATIONS INTERNATIONAL
LIMITED SIGNS EXCLUSIVE  AGREEMENT WITH THE CENTRAL BROADCASTING SYSTEM
OF TAIWAN. On Tuesday 13th July 1999 in Taipei, Taiwan, Merlin
Communications International Limited signed an exclusive agreement with
the Central Broadcasting System of Taiwan to market and broker its
facilities globally. Merlin already has an exchange agreement with CBS
where air time is exchanged between Taiwan and the UK. However, this
agreement means that Merlin has the exclusive right to market CBS'
extensive facilities around the world.  CBS  has some 41 transmitters,
both short and medium wave, based in Taiwan with excellent services into
all the Asia Pacific regions.  CBS and Radio Taipei International
programmes are broadcast via a transmission system connecting the South
and North of Taiwan. CBS own nine transmission sites across Taiwan, with
sixteen medium wave transmitters and twenty five shortwave transmitters
which transmit  programming into Indo-China, Mainland China and all over
the Asia Pacific region. (Merlin Communications website via Hauser,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32,
July 27) --- I wasn't aware CBS had ANY facilities outside Taiwan -- at
least not transmitters. See also the related story under USA [non]
below! I think the following story is saying that CSPS will no longer
use KHBI,  and in effect is being replaced by CBS facilities -- NOT that
Saipan station ownership will be taken over by Merlin from RFA in
August! But R. Taipei Int'l (never mentioned by this name) will get
relays into Europe from UKOGBANI. Haven't the Chinese people enough
problems -- and religions -- already without being bombarded with wacky
CS propaganda? Why should Merlin care? (Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT
99-32, July 27)

U K O G B A N I-  Since early June, BBC WS on 9410 has been OFF AIR
between 0700 and 1500 UTC, leaving 12095 as the only reliable frequency
in Central Europe during the late morning/noon/afternoon (signal quality
on // 15565 depends on propagation  conditions). Seems to be the first
step towards the reduction of SW transmissions to developed countries as
announced earlier this year. In some programs such as "Newshour", they
firmly advise their listeners to listen via the internet. (Matthias
Gatzke, Germany, July 16, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-31, July 22, 1999)

USA-  [non]. Thursday 22nd July 1999: MERLIN COMMUNICATIONS SIGNS
EXCHANGE SHORTWAVE DEAL WITH  HERALD BROADCASTING SYNDICATE, Inc &
CENTRAL BROADCASTING SYSTEM OF TAIWAN. Merlin Communications
International is pleased to announce the signing of a one year contract
with Herald Broadcasting Syndicate Inc. (HBS) to provide  shortwave
audio transmission of The Christian Science Publishing Society's (TCSPS)
programmes into South China, Beijing and India  for three hours a day.
The deal is part of an exchange with Central Broadcasting System of
Taiwan (CBS), the major broadcaster in Taiwan. Herald programming will
be transferred via the internet from TCSPS's studios in Boston, USA, to
Merlin's London control  centre at Bush House. The signal will then be
uplinked via Merlin's GDS satellite onto CBS' transmitter in Taipei for
rebroadcast into  Asia and India. "We look forward to a long, successful
relationship with Merlin in broadcasting in the Pacific Rim," says
Catherine  Aitken-Smith, Director, International Broadcasting for HBS.
Three hours of CBS programming in English, German and Mandarin will be
transferred from their studio in Taiwan via the internet into the Merlin
London Control Centre and then onto Merlin's GDS satellite. The
shortwave signal will then be transmitted from Merlin's site in Cumbria,
in the North West of England into Western Europe, Germany and Eastern
Europe. HBS broadcasts from the island of Saipan on a shortwave station
owned by Radio Free Asia until August of 1999,  when Merlin
Communications will take over these broadcasts. Merlin has conducted
business in over 100 countries worldwide and  transmits over 1000 hours
of both short and medium wave per day. Outside the UK staff are
permanently located in Ascension Island,  Antigua, Cyprus, Oman,
Seychelles, Singapore and Thailand. (Merlin Communications website July
22 via Hauser, REVIEW OF  INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-32, July 27)

U S A- Glenn, Here's an AFN, 12689.5 USB program for your compilation:
Car Talk - NPR program heard from 0925 to end at 1000 on  Sunday morning
with a statement this is NPR Worldwide for the Armed Forces Network. I
assume it started at 0900 UTC. (Pete Costello, July 25, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32, July 27)

U S A- Not only did WRMI 7465 run Viva Miami at 0400 UT Sunday July 25,
but followed it with another airing of AWR Wavescan at 0430. This was
No. 234 for Father's Day, June 20. BTW, Wavescan spelt backwards is
Nacsevaw (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF  INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32, July 27)

U S A- Bandscanning on the ICF-5900W July 26, came across strong signal
of R. Marti on 19610 at 1137; deep fades to nothing, and very strong
peaks, as if sporadic E opening from Greenville, which, however had not
reached TV frequencies. This quickly proved to be 2 x 9805, a frequency
not in the original A99 IBB schedule, which was also very strong, and
one must carefully suspect the possibility of inside-receiver production
rather than propagation. After 1200 I was also getting V. of Greece on
19380 = 2 x 9690 in similar   circumstances, as well as the sum of the
two on 19495. And on the ATS-909, I checked the third harmonics and
there were VOG on 29070, RM on 29415 (Glenn Hauser, OK, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32, July 27)

U S A- A few days ago, Adrian Peterson told me something was in the
works to improve audibility of AWR Wavescan in NAm. Perhaps this is it:
The only worthwhile program so far heard on WRMI's new 7465 is AWR
Wavescan, #233 ending at 0442 UT Sat July 17. Only caught the last few
mins since didn't expect it to start at the odd time of 0415, tho I
should have since preceded by racist Herald of Truth which is a quarter
hour. Edition was about a month old since 6/19 was "next Saturday". Had
weekly feature with Steve giving out some URLs, not all of them radio-
related but e.g. Kellogg, who had an Adventist nutrition connexion.
After false start of sign-off   announcement, at 0445 up came The Word
of the Spirit Radio Broadcast, which had also been on at 0330. Still no
jamming, but lite ute QRM. We hoped some of the other DX, media or
mailbag programs would show during this sesquihour UT Sun or Mon, but
instead  WRMI signed off an hour earlier at 0400* without even running
Viva Miami. We have now checked 7465 every night of the week and there
is nothing but Wavescan worth hearing on it (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 997 / GH SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-31, July 22, 1999)

U S A-  You may want to check the AFN frequencies you mentioned in last
week's DX report 99-30 and WOR 996: I have them listed as 6458.5 and
4278.5 USB (along with the 12 MHz one, on which we concur). (Jim
Wishner, MN) -- Oh, I confused the digits again on the two lower
frequencies. Why should I remember them when my receiver does? :( (Glenn
Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 997/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-31, July 22, 1999)

VENEZUELA-  R. Amazonas, Puerto Ayacucho, 4939.5, heard on 10 of the 31
mornings in May from 0900v, four days from 0930, and one day from 1000.
During April there were two Venezuelans audible instead of just this one
as Mr. Johnson reported in Cumbre DX  quoted by gh on Radio Enlace May
7. The other was Ecos del Torbes, which was audible only in the daytime
until April 19, and at night until April 21 (Emilio Pedro Povrzenic,
Rosario, Argentina, May Latinoamerica DX via Radio Nuevo Mundo,
translated by Glenn  Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32, July 27) ---
E. Pedro Povrzenic never misses a day monitoring, for the past 3987
days, and publishes extensive statistical analyses of LA station
monitoring, audibility, both long- and short-term; I've never seen
anything quite like what he does, elsewhere. No E-mail, apparently
(Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32, July 27)

---------------------------
DX PROGRAMS
---------------------------

Join me for the "SOUTH PACIFIC DX REPORT" on Radio New Zealand
International, HCJB, AWR, and NZ's Radio Reading Service - ZLXA. Full
details available from the South Pacific DX Resource web-site: <
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/3216 >Or you can listen to
RNZI's "Mailbox" here:  < http://www.audionet.co.nz/ranz.html > (Paul
Ormandy, New Zealand)

Hi, everyone! Here is the newest DXING WITH CUMBRE schedule. We have two
new transmissions. Frequencies are in kHz; times  are UTC. Programs are
approximately 30 minutes long.  WHRI ANGEL I (Americas/Caribbean) Sat
0500 7315   --- Sat 0730 7315 --- Sat 2230 9495 --- Sun 1400 15105.
WHRI ANGEL II (Eur/Mideast/Afr/Rus/N Am)  Sat 0500 5745 --- Sat 0730
5745 --- Sat 1430 6040  --- Sat 1800 13760 --- Sun 0300 5745. KWHR ANGEL
III (Asia)  Sat 0300 17510 --- Sat 0600 17780 --- Sun 0000 17510
(NEW) --- Sun 0600 17780 --- Sun 1830 17510.  KWHR ANGEL IV (South
Pacific)  Sun 1030 11565 (all Angel IV transmissions of Cumbre are on
this fqy)   Sun 1300 WHRA ANGEL V (Africa/Mideast) (may also be audible
for many WHRI listeners) Fri 2200 17650 --- Sat 0130 7580 (NEW) --- Sat
1600 (1603 start time according to WHR web site) --- Sat 2130 (moved
back from 2230 UTC) --- Sun 2230 The program may be heard on Real Audio
whenever it is on shortwave at the World Harvest website
<http://www.whr.org>. Also, it is  audible on  demand at the Cumbre DX
website; the URL for it is <http://www.cumbredx.org>.  The postal
address for shortwave  reception reports: World Harvest Radio, P.O. Box
12, South Bend IN 46624, U.S.A.  Thanks for listening and contributing,
as always!  73--Marie Lamb, DXing with Cumbre

WORLD OF RADIO SHORTWAVE-only schedule as of July 27.  Days and times
strictly UT:  Wed 2100 WBCQ 7415 --- Thu 2030  WWCR 15685 --- Fri 1930
RFPI 21460-USB 15049 --- Sat 0330 RFPI 15049 6975 --- Sat 1130 RFPI
15049 6975 --- Sat 1130 WWCR  12160 --- Sat 1930 WWCR 12160 [NEW] ---
Sat 1800 RFPI 21460-USB 15049 --- Sun 0200 RFPI 21460-USB 15049 6975 ---
Sun 0230 WWCR 5070 --- Sun 0630 WWCR 5070 --- Sun 1000 RFPI 15049
6975 --- Sun 2300 RFPI 21460-USB 15049 --- Mon 0501 WWCR  3210 --- Mon
0700 RFPI 15049 6975 --- Tue 1230 WWCR 15685 --- Tue 1900 RFPI 21460-USB
15049 --- Wed 0300 RFPI 21460-USB 15049 6975 --- Wed 1100 RFPI 15049
[NEW; temporary?].  For complete details on all WOR and Continent of
Media broadcasts see <  http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio >
Regards, Glenn

PRESS RELEASE

Our Internet Service Provider PING was taken over by another company and
it is very likely that our e-mail address < tdp@xxxxxxx > will soon
change as well as our website URL at < http://www.ping.be/tdp/ >.
Therefore, we would appreciate if you could delete the above e-mail
address and URL from your files and websites (check possible links) and
replace them with: E-mail : < info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > Web : <
http://www.transmitter.org >  OR  E-mail : < info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > Web :
< http://www.transmitter.be > Thanks for your cooperation.  --- TDP Tel
: +32 (3) 314 78 00  c/o Ludo Maes Mob : +32 (477) 477 800 --- P.O. Box
1 Fax : +32 (3) 314 12 12 --- B-2310 Rijkevorsel E- mail:  <
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > BELGIUM Web : < http://www.transmitter.org >
(Ludo Maes, Belgium)

FROM THE EDITOR - As usual, August  means vacation and time of
relaxation here in Italy. Next TFW will be issued the last two or three
days of August.

###