[HCDX]: RSL DX'ing outside the city

Hello,

Mad of being tortured by local interference when trying to receive those
offshore RSL stations, I took a drive with a fellow DX'er outside the city
of Antwerp.  I was driving only 15 km to the north to a village called Lillo
on the border of the river Scheldt.  We were armed with a Sony ICF 2001D, a
Sony ICF SW55, two small loop antennas of 35x35 cm and some
cassetterecorders.

At home I can receive RNI during daytime on 1575 at about O=3 but R.Caroline
on 1503 is in fact not really heard, not to speak about Swinging Radio
England 1566. During the drive, I tested regularly those frequencies on my
car radio and it was noticeable that we were entering a less polluted area.
When finally arrived, we were very surprised with the quality on 1575 and
1503 kHz, still on the car radio.

After unpacked our radios and antennas and installed them on a bench at the
riverside we noticed that the results were astounding. RNI was coming in
with full O=5.  Nine leds of ten burning.  Caroline was also very strong 0=4
with seven leds burning.  Time of reception was between 13:00 and 15:00 UTC.
It was however strange that we couldn't hear anything besides a weak carrier
on 1566 kHz.

Does anybody know if Swinging Radio England location is quite different from
the other offshore RSL's ?

What makes those receptions more remarkable is that they were made outside
the city but still in a village surrounded by the refineryinstallations and
factories of the port of Antwerp.

BTW : a tourist passed by and took a few pictures from us, wondering what
those mad Belgians were doing...