[HCDX]: Kiwa MW air core loop

To reply to Ruud, I have owned the Kiwa loop for the last four years and would report as follows:
The loop is very well made and a pleasure to own and operate. Its performance is very good, and in field DXpeditions it has been set side by side with other antenna's such as a 200 meter beverage and a 50 meter inverted VEE. In most cases it is able to match the performance of these antenna's, which is quite remarkable.
Like any antenna device, the Kiwa loop must SEE the incoming signal; that is to say if you mount it in a room in your house, it will favour signals that have a direct line to the window where you have mounted it. Obviously, signals from the other side of the house will tend to be shielded from the loop and performance will not be so good.
So you must mount the Kiwa loop near a window that will favour a signal you want to receive.
By use of the directional capabilities of the loop and the regenerative circuit, it is possible to zero in on very poor signals and maximise them to a degree not possible with ordinary antenns.
As to whether it is worth the money, the answer is a definite YES if you are a serious MW DXer.
I take my Kiwa loop on most of my DXpeditions, as it packs well into a medium sized suitcase.
Like any antenna, it will pick up radio Rf noise, but due to its highly directional nulling possibilities, some of the noise can be nulled out in certain circumstances.
Also have a look at Werner Funkenhauser's excellent web page: http://home.inforamp.net/~funk/ where you will find a very good review by top DXer Mark Connelly.

from Oom Jaapie, Johannesburg, South Africa.

Ruud Vos wrote:
"Please can users of the MW Air-Core loop antenna of KIWA report me about their
experiences with this antenna?
Posible I order the antenna, but the quality must be high, the price is not
very low: 360 dollar for the antenna plus Airmail Shipping 100 dollar, so It's
a lott of money for a antenna only to use between 530-1700 Khz.
I life near a railway, about 50 meters, so the antenna can pick up some noise
from coming by trains,I do not know If it is sensitive for this kind of noise?
My T2FD and MLB1 of RF Systems are picking up some noise from the trains, but I
can life with It, It's not to much.
So please tell me some about your personal experiences!
Thank you all for the help and the reactions!"

73!

Ruud Vos
Utrecht
Holland.