Re: [HCDX]: Beverage Antennas

Terminating the other end of the Beverage makes it unidirectional.
But this is not the only advantage.
Another effect of the resistor is that it makes the receiving angle of
the antenna lower.  This effect is found both at the main lobe and at
the secondary back lobe.
This simply reduces interference of regional stations and
strenghtens long-distance signals.  The reason is that long-distance-
signals need more ionospheric hops than regional signals.
Here is Scandinavia it means that most European interference comes
from stations with one ionospheric hop while Trans-Atlantic signals
& Far East stations need 3-4 ionospheric hops.  In practice
interfering European signals come to Scandinavia in 10-30 degrees
angle while Trans-Atlantic & Far East signals arrive in 3-8 degrees
angle.
Because of this I wouldn't call long antennas without resistors as
Beverage.  The resistor is the soul of the Beverage - without it the
antenna is a long-wire antenna.

Jorma Mantyla
Kangasala, Finland
http://www.kaapeli.fi/~jmantyla/