Re: [HCDX]: SA MW Bandscan **update***

----- Original Message -----
From: Mauno Ritola <ritola@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [HCDX]: SA MW Bandscan

> At 15.45 7.11.1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >Re unID's: 630 AA probably Tunisia, 765 Saudi Arabia,
> >774 Egypt most likely (though Morocco also there),
> >801 Jordan likely: check 1494, 9830, 11935 possible file://'s,
> >837 Canaries and Spain synchros, 864 most likely Egypt -
> >often a big signal here in MA an hour after local sunset,
> >936 and 999 could be Moroccans, 1107 Egypt, 1251 FF & EE
> >part of Libyan external service, 1296 AA would be Sudan,
> >1386 might be Iran (AA is language of the Koran, so
> >perhaps a departure from Farsi otherwise used), 1557
> >France ? or Gabon ?, 1566 could be Iran or the Al
> >Mustaqbal clandestine from Kuwait.  AIR would not be
> >AA.  Usually (at 0030, the time India-1566 is most often
> >heard in this area, a // with 5010 and other 60-m outlets
> >can be established), 1584 Spain is most common here,
> >sometimes the Kuwait clandestine has popped up on this
> >channel (in addition to 1566 and 1575).
>
> Thanks for the scan. Some more comments:
> 612 AA from ENE bearing: Bahrain?
> 639 AA: BBC Cyprus relay?
> 792 AA: Yemen, the East European: VOA Kavala?
> 918 East European: Slovenia?
> 1053 Iasi, Romania has local programming until -2000
> 1296 Bulgaria used to be strong here
> 1539 Germany is Evangeliums Rundfunk
> 1557 France is nowadays on later than it used to be
> 1575 BBC WS has 1 kW relay in Mauritius
> 1584 Iran is strong here, must be 100 kW tx
> 1593 what language: maybe Radio Free Europe, Holzkirchen, Germany in
> ex-Jugoslavian languages?
>
> 73, Mauno

*******SA BANDSCAN UPDATE******
I've checked out the band some more and possibly come up with a few more
answers,corrections & additions;

(Jean Burnell , you asked me about some of these......)

594 19h30 Definitely no sign of Namibia. NBC 3290 was on at 19h30 with ID's
etc but 594 (& 747 for that matter) were open freq's.
846 20h10 ITALY Radio Duo. ID & 80's pop mx, fair w R.Xhosa nulled. (Used to
be fairly regular before R.Xhosa came on air)
1062 19h49 UNID w AA style music to NE bearing. (didn't sound like Nigeria),
very weak.
1206 MOZAMBIQUE - Still don't have a definite "EP de Inhambane" ID on this
one but did note a few mentions of Inhambane @ 20h00.Will check further.
1377 19h51 PORTUGAL (TENTATIVE) w Swazi nulled. Football comm in PP, some
teams mentioned were Porto, Boavista & Sporting Braga. <Is there still the
Porto txer on this fqy and is it 10KW?> No sign of the Tanzanian here,
Jean....
1485 19h55 UNID (w local R.Today nulled). In PP w mentions of Luanda so more
likely Angola than Azores, poor. (no het noted Jean)
1539 The German I noted here is ERF(not DLF) (Thanks to those who pointed
this one out)
1566 The "AA UNID" I noted might still have been AIR (which I have heard
before). I didn't hear any speech, just music which to my ear could have
been from the Middle East or India,  couldn't quite decide which. Will check
out this fqy some more.

regards Vince