[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-58

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-58, Nov 21, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

** COSTA RICA. Glenn, 15050 has been off while we worked on the
antenna for 6975. Project should be finished today, Saturday. (Joe
Bernard, RFPI, Nov 20)

New RFPI Mailbag appeared Nov 21, UT Sun 0230, with James Latham and
Joe Bernard. Ted Turner and Jane Fonda are coming to a meeting at the
University for Peace this week starting Sunday. RFPI hopes to
interview them (and why not see about a few hundred million while
they?re at it...) There are now two antennas for the 6975 range. New
quad is just about finished. The backup antenna is on a free-standing
lower tower not so subject to high winds and with no guy wires to
mess up radiation pattern. James has been spending 15-20 hours up on
the tower.

Michael ---, who set up RFPI's computer system which crashed a few
weeks ago, is solving the problem by sending them a whole new
computer, which should arrive by mid-week and then face at least 4-5
days in customs. So should be back up in 2 weeks tops and again able
to upload Mailbag, PNN and other programming audio.

[BTW, tnx to RFPI for running our RIBOLD promos a lot lately, but we
have been trying to get word to them to stop. At least for the time
being, we seem to be spending our time with these more frequent
public DX reports than producing RIBOLD for subscription, still
suspended]

RFPI is now streamed! Charlie Wilkinson, somewhere in eastern US, who
set up their original website, has volunteered to handle this,
talking the feed off SW. Requires mp3 player which for Windows 98 can
be downloaded free from http://www.icecast.org and the streaming is
at http://www.boinklabs.com:8000

** COSTA RICA/CUBA. Two of my favorite people are fighting over a
frequency, 13750 with a het of about 200 Hz: still dragging its feet
three weeks after B-99 began for everyone else, RHC is still on 13750
for the European service 2000-2200, and on Nov 20 at 2120 we found
Arnie Coro mixing with Dr. Gene Scott. If we listen on USB for some
RHC advantage, we get an even deeper pitch from DGS. It's no better
on RHC's only other frequency to Europe, 13660 USB, which is STILL
clashing with Switzerland, as we pointed out weeks ago (Glenn Hauser,
OK)

And also clash on 13750: 2100 RHC ahead, but Scott Cahuita-CTR on odd
13749.81 and til 2030 AIR Bangalore IND too. (Wolfgang Bueschel,
Germany, Nov 20)

** CUBA. On DXers Unlimited Nov 20, Arnie Coro took a swipe obviously
at yours truly (tho not by name - out of professional courtesy or
blacklisting??), provoked by my comment in 99-53 which reached him
somehow (I have not said this on the air). I did not claim to have
discovered or invented harmonic DXing, or been first to do it, but to
have ``pioneered promotion of this DX angle sesquidecades ago.'' Said
his elmer in Cuba, Oscar in 1955 had shown him on an SP-600 how the
54th harmonic of an Argentine 900 kHz station could be heard on 48600
kHz by trans-equatorial propagation as a pilot for 6 meter openings.
Although it is conceivable, even I find this hard to believe, because
48-50 MHz was an old broadcasting band, and in fact Chilean
fundamentals in that area have been reported only recently. But that
was a long time ago and I wasn?t there in free Cuba.

I don't remember the exact dates, but for a few months I wrote a
column in NASWA FRENDX, called ``Hunting Harmonics with Hauser'' so I
have an informal claim to the expression ``Hunting Harmonics..'' which
Arnie has been using lately. The little one-page column was soon
cancelled for no good reason by club management at the time, whose
names I will withhold now out of professional courtesy. In those
days, it was difficult to convince some DX editors in that club and
elsewhere that DXing harmonics was not: 1) imaginary, 2) illegal, 3)
immoral, 4) irrelevant, or 5) godforbid, non-SWBC even when the
fundamentals were broadcasters! If Arnie did any promotion of DXing
harmonics as early as that in organized DX circles, I'd like to hear
about it.

Anyhow, Arnie is about to do his harmonics special this week, not
clear whether Tuesday or Saturday. He should start with RHC on 12000,
2 x 6000 which several have reported lately. I applaud anyone,
including Arnie, promoting harmonic DXing, and his particular
emphasis on keeping track of propagation on the higher frequencies!
Yes, you heard me right. I just said something nice about Arnie
(Glenn Hauser)

** CYPRUS [non]. Don't expect anything Middle Eastern from Radio
Middle East except the name! Nary an oud nor a muezzin was to be
heard during this program floating on WBCQ 7415 Sat Nov 20 from 2136
tune in until cut off at 2200 for TimTron Worldwide. We did enjoy the
classic rock and pop tunes and the professional style of Nathan
Morley, who might as well be doing this from London, but announced P O
Box 30582, Ayanapa, Cyprus, and fulfilled a number of requests,
including a ``live'' phone interview with Edward in Lethbridge,
Alberta, where it ``is'' 35 degrees C. Somehow I think this was a
while ago. Edward's last name was never mentioned, but I think it must
be Kusalik in nearby Coaldale. Isn?t it great that the active SWL
community is so small that we can guess identities like this?
(Answer: no) (Glenn Hauser, OK)

** GREECE [non]. The VOG/VOA saga continues. On Sat Nov 20 at 1830
check, we found 17565 back on, //17705 and this time both are
precisely in synch - so that must mean they are both via Delano at
the moment. However, no mixing products at 17425 and 17845 were
detectable. With all this Delano RF raining down upon me, that?ll be
the cause of a brain tumor someday, as I never use a walkie-talkie
(a.k.a. cell phone). Would I have a case since VOA is prohibited from
broadcasting within the USA, but does so anyway? Except during loud
music, cross-talk from another ERT program was audible, but not as
bad as yesterday.

Another surprise came at 1900 when an English program started,
``Hellenics Around the World'', for the Greek diaspora (come to think
of it, that is a Greek word meaning scattering, or for that matter,
broadcasting, not a Hebrew word at all though originally applied to
the Jews!). So not only on Sunday but on Saturday there is English at
1900. This lasted until 1943, hosted by Katrina ---, with technician
Ol'ga ---. Katrina has a way of speaking as if she is reading a
script all the time. She gave an URL starting with http: backslash
backslash.

For newbies and anyone else who does not actually use a computer
keyboard but has no choice but to speak computerese now and then:
this is not the first time I have heard someone on the air pronounce
an URL with the words ``backslash'' to show they are savvy? This
backfires, since that character \ NEVER appears in URLs, but only in
offline computer commands. Since URL slashes are always forward, it
is never necessary to modify the word slash with forward OR back.
Furthermore, since ``slash'' is so harsh-sounding, violent, I prefer
and urge everyone to use the word ``slant'' instead, which is just as
valid for the / symbol, long used by amateurs in expressing their
remote or mobile suffixes, later prefixes. Other astounding errors I
have heard elsewhen: speaking only one slash after http: or omitting
a dot after www. This is not nit-picking, as anyone will soon
discover if they try to get anywhere on the net without everything
precisely correct.

The show began after some music with a long phone interview from 1907
in English with Nicholas ---, of the Hellenic Studies Program,
Princeton, until 1935 music break; 1940 a brief report on the
Convention of the American Hellenic Institute in Cyprus and Athens
Nov. 13-16. No sensational coverage of the anti-American riots
Clinton's visit provoked here, as one might have expected or even
wanted from the Greek point of view (Glenn Hauser, OK)

** INDIA. Despite its transpolarity, AIR GOS on 13749.9 is managing
to override TIDGS around 1840. Nov 20 it was even audible on the
relatively insensitive DC-777 with some nice Indian classical music
as I was driving around Enid, USA provoking a sense of culture shock.
We don't even have an Indian restaurant (Glenn Hauser, OK)

** ISRAEL. New for IBA English at 0500 is 21715, well heard here
(Chris Hambly, Australia, Nov 21)

** PAPUA NEW GUINEA. Regarding the ``correxion'' to Chris Hambly's
report about RWNB 3235 having come back after a year: Chris tells me
he checked very frequently for it and had not been hearing it. (The
one year silence was just a guess off the cuff when I asked him for
how long.) Possibly the Grayland DXpedition in July with beverage
could hear it when nearby Chris could not, but it certainly had been
inaudible for some time. BTW, I have seen another recent report that
3235 had just been reactivated, without specifying after how long
(Glenn Hauser)

** TUVALU. In reporting on the .tv domain affair, Kim Elliott on this
week's Communications World remarks that I have a pet peeve against
the word ``tiny'' being applied to places like Lithuania which are not
really tiny, but surely even I would approve of Tiny Tuvalu. Well,
yes, the land area is 10 sq mi, less than half of Manhattan NY, but
even that tiny amount is spread out over 9 islands stretching in a
360-mile chain, says the World Almanac (Hauser)

CIRAF ZONES. Dear Glenn, A map with CIRAF-zones can be found at
http://www.air-time.org . The correct URL for Tom's list with CIRAF-
zones is http://www.trsc.com/ciraf_zones.html (with an 's' at the
end). Kind regards, (Ludo Maes, Belgium)            ###