[HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-65

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-65, Dec 3, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1014: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1014.html

THIS MONTH ON CONTINENT OF MEDIA 99-09: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/com9909.html

** ASIA [non]. The B99 schedule for Radio Free Asia is now posted on
the Asian Broadcasting Institute WWW site.
http://www.246.ne.jp/%7Eabi/rfa.htm is the direct URL for the
schedule, which includes transmitter sites. According to the
schedule, KNLS in Alaska and Delano, California are no longer used to
broadcast RFA. 73, {Jim Moats, OH, November 30}

** BELGIUM. The Belgian royal wedding on Saturday 4 December 1999
will be broadcast live on shortwave by both Radio Vlaanderen
Internationaal (in Dutch) and RTBF-International (in French) to
Europe and Africa:

RVI:
0700-0800 UTC 5985, 9925, 11690
0800-0900 UTC 9925, 11690
0900-1200 UTC 9925, 13600, 21550 <<<< additional transmission
1200-1230 UTC 9925, 13760, 21630

RTBF-Int:
0530-0600 UTC 9490
0600-1100 UTC 17580
1100-1300 UTC 21565 <<<< extended transmission
0530-1300 UTC 9965 <<<< additional transmission
(Paul Brems, RVI via Wolfgang Bueschel, WORLD OF RADIO 1014)

** BHUTAN. BBS has retimed their evening txion and also at the
weekend: Nepali Mon-Fri 1130-1200, Sat 0900-1000 5030, Sun 0900-1000
6035.

English Mon-Fri 1200-1300 (nx 1200) 5030, Sat 1000-1100 (nx 1000)
5030, Sun 1000-1100 (nx at 1000). Sat 1015-1100 CountDown Top-20 En
pop songs; Sun 1015-1100 Request Show of En pop songs. (Alok
Dasgupta, India, Nov 26 via Wolfgang Bueschel, WORLD OF RADIO 1014)

** CANADA. This week on C'est La Vie, learn about the beginnings of
French radio in Alberta. From its humble origins broadcasting from a
shack in a field outside Edmonton, Radio CHFA has come along way in
50 years. And it plays a vital role for the French community in the
region. Find out more on C'est La Vie, with host Bernard St. Laurent,
UT Saturday Dec 4 at 0029-0059 on RCI 5960 and 9755 (CBC Hotsheet via
Hauser)

** COSTA RICA. http://www.drgenescott.org/stations now gives schedule
here as 24 hours on all frequencies: 7375/11870 [meaning one
transmitter, one frequency or the other?], 9725, 13750, 5030, 6150
(Peter Boeck, Nov 22 via Hans-Joachim Koch, condensed by Hauser)

** INTERNATIONAL VACUUM. Not exactly SW but DXing ultra-ultra-
shortwave laser light reflections over very great distances; I AM NOT
SURE IF THIS IS FOR REAL and have not heard anything about it on
mainstream media or elsewhere, but Rogerio Krueger, radio-escutas
newsroup, refers us to http://www.moonlight.com . All I get there so
far as of Dec 3 is the word MOONLIGHT at the top. According to him,
on Dec 8 [NOT Nov 8 as I misspoke on some editions of WOR 1014!],
Moonlight Laser Enterprises, Inc. plans to test its ``laser ray
cannons'' by projecting a message using the surface of the moon as
the screen. Colors blue, red and green can be mixed to produce any
color and be animated (like terrestrial laser light shows). The date
has been selected since it is the birthday of the founder of the
company, based in Atlanta, and it is during New Moon. The time will
be midnight there, 0500 UT, when the moon will be well positioned for
viewing from Brasil. The three laser-cannons have a power of 2
megawatts each. The first message will be GOOD NIGHT EARTH, and
others may follow. The ultimate objective is advertising (Hauser's
translation summary of Kruger's posting)

The trouble is, as any amateur astronomer or even casual moongazer
instantly realizes, when the moon is new it sets only slightly after
the sun and would NOT be visible - or reachable by laser - at local
midnight. My calendar does show Dec 7 as New Moon. Possibly they
meant 0000 UT? (Glenn Hauser, Terra)

** IRELAND. Atlantic 252 can continue broadcasting on longwave after
Dec 31. Following a change of administration in Ireland, there is no
problem in extending the expiring license (ERRF DX Mix Dec 4 via
Hans-Joachim Koch, summary translation by Hauser)

** KENYA. 4915: KBC is back on that frequency and the reception is so
strong that Ghana was not audible at 2000 Dec 2 (Mahendra Vaghjee,
Mauritius)

** KOREA NORTH. This evening (UT Dec 3) tuned in North Korea on
17745. Signal here was stronger than it has been over the last few
nights (good signal strength), but still that annoying "buzz-hum" in
the carrier. I could hear the 0200 UT broadcast on 11845, but signal
was fair at best, but at least no weird noises in the carrier on this
frequency. Nothing heard on 15650 at 0200 UT here. Anyway, I was able
to copy the sched. at approx 52 min into the 0100 broadcast (listed
below). Please note that no broadcasts were given (Target) for NORTH
America. Just Central and South America. Humm..???

(Radio Pyongyang) English Broadcasts 1 Hour

SE Asia/ Central and South America 1200 9850, 11335, 13650
Africa 1200 9640, 9975
Africa 1600 6540, 9600, 9945
SE Asia/ Central and South America 0100 15230, 17735, 11735
SE Asia/ Central and South America 0200 15650, 11845
Regards, (David Zantow, Janesville, WI USA)

At 0000-0100 17735 is conflicting with a longtime VOA frequency
[from Tinang to Pacific]. How can we get them to move? (Bill
Whitacre, IBB) Cannot be sure but may be in French that hour (gh)

** KOREA NORTH. An English block from Pyongyang is heard with fair
signal at 2120 on its house-frequency 6575 (ERF [TWR] DX Mix 27. Nov.
via Hans-Joachim Koch, summary translation by Hauser)

** KOREA NORTH. Checking out Radio Pyongyang after 2100 showed 6575
and 7505 in // with horribly distorted speech audio, from 2100 with
what sounded like Spanish, from 2200 with French. Prior to their
latest reshuffelings 7505 had at 2100 German and 6575 something
different. (Kai Ludwig, Germany, Dec 1)

** KURDISTAN. V. of Kurdistan Toilers is a new clandestine heard
since Nov 28 on 4250, in Iraqi Kurdish at 1600-1630, Arabic 1630-
1700, and repeated from 0400 (BBC Monitoring, summarised by Hauser
for WORLD OF RADIO 1014)

** KURDISTAN. I have very little interest in broadcasts that are not
in English, and no interest in clandestines, but in this case I have
a huge geographical advantage, so I invested limited effort and after
writing this, I will forget bout the subject:

V. of the People of Kurdistan is on 4060 from 0345 until 0700. They
sign on a little before 0345 and sign off around 0706. They are also
no 4060 at lest from 1545 to 1745. Languages are Arabic, and very
likely Kurdish and Farsi. I think, each language, one hour. For me,
the signals are strong, observed 16, 17, 18 and 19 November. The
present Passport shows nothing on 4060. Best wishes. Yours, (David
Crystal, Ramat Zvi, Israel, WORLD OF RADIO 1014)

** RUSSIA. The Italian segment on VoR's special Kosovo programmes was
already months ago replaced by Serbocroatian. Additionally there is a
sesquihour programme in Serbocroatian 2200-2330 on 6205, repeated (at
least I guess it's a repeat of the 2200 broadcast) 0400-0530 on 5920,
both from the Popovka transmitters near St. Petersburg. Regards, (Kai
Ludwig, Germany, Dec 1)

** U K O G B A N I. Glenn--- DIGITAL RADIO MONDIALE TESTS: UT Dec 1,
tuned around the 31 meter band until landing on 9665 kHz at 0131 to
hear familiar Radio Netherlands voices Jim Cutler, Jonathan Marks and
Diana Janssen talking about the Digital Radio Mondiale tests... then
went into this digital noise (?) I can't figure out, until off at
0300. Coming from Rampisham with good signal but nothing worth while
to listen to, if noise is all they are doing for test purposes. Try
this out tonight... (Joe Hanlon in Philadelphia)

** U S A. Although announced as on 92.7, St. Louis MO has an apparent
pirate in stereo on 92.9 playing a variety of mostly secular Latin
music, taped by Will Martin Oct. 16 for over an hour from 1555 UT.
There were only five brief announcements during this period: 1) ad
for Iglesia de la Nueva Comunidad, 314-664-5565; 2) ``Somos 92.7 FM,
Radio en espan~ol'' 3) ``92.7 FM Estereo, regalo de dios para nuestra
comunidad'' 4) ad for La Clinica, 3 Ave y S. Grand Blvd, specializing
in la depresion; 5) ``92.7 FM Estereo, La Radio de la Comunidad
Hispana, San Luis'' and this time also in English. This last one is
included in our December Mundo Radial and for Radio Enlace on Radio
Nederland (Glenn Hauser)                           ###