Re: [HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-73

Re: [HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-73

>** SWEDEN. The above story was also on DX Partyline Dec 11,
>attributed to Karl Kruger. Hurricanes don't hit Europe, let alone
>Sweden in December, tho there certainly could have been a bad storm -
>perhaps some bad translation. I believe remnants of tropical Atlantic
>hurricanes occasionally reach Britain, but I find it hard to believe
>that there was a hurricane hitting Hoerby in December, and that R.
>Sweden's antennas were ``blown to pieces'' -- especially since I was
>hearing SCDX/MediaScan as usual last Tuesday Dec 7 around 1445 on
>18960 and 21810. .... (Glenn Hauser, OK)

Whatever it was that struck southern Denmark and Southern Sweden on Friday
December 3rd/Saturday December 4th it sure made a lot of mess. Hi!

Well, indeed it was a hurricane, though of course not a "tropical
hurricane". Some remainders of tropical hurricanes occationally hit parts of
Europe but never with hurricane force winds.

Now on Friday Dec 3rd 1999 winds were coming in with about 185 km/h on the
southwestern coast of Denmark, which makes it a cathegory 3 hurricane - to
the best of my knowledge. Such a hurricane is not developed the same way as
a tropical hurricane (obviously) but is developed due to an extremely severe
low depression.

When a wind is stronger than a storm, which is very rare here, then it's a
hurricane for sure. The word in Danish is "orkan" and that translates into
"hurricane".

Best 73s
Stig Hartvig Nielsen,
Denmark