Re: [HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-73

Re: [HCDX]: G Hauser's Shortwave/DX Report 99-73

>** SWEDEN. The above story was also on DX Partyline Dec 11,
>attributed to Karl Kruger. Hurricanes don't hit Europe, let alone
>Sweden in December, tho there certainly could have been a bad storm -
>perhaps some bad translation. I believe remnants of tropical Atlantic
>hurricanes occasionally reach Britain, but I find it hard to believe
>that there was a hurricane hitting Hoerby in December, and that R.
>Sweden's antennas were ``blown to pieces'' -- especially since I was
>hearing SCDX/MediaScan as usual last Tuesday Dec 7 around 1445 on
>18960 and 21810. Also checked Sunday Dec 12 when the same two were
>audible before 1300, and at 1430 as usual with Sounds Nordic. BTW,
>opening announcement at 1430 still claimed to be on summer frequency
>15240. A sesquimonth into the B-99 season, would it be too much to
>ask for R. Sweden to update their announcements? Oh, oh - it was just
>the MW 1179 facility : (Glenn Hauser, OK)

Surely it was a hurricane. I've never experienced anything like this and
according to the weather department, it was the ever worst hurricane for
more than 100 years, that did hit Denmark and Southern Sweden on Friday 3rd
and early Saturday 4th December. Houses were totally destroyed at the
westcoast of Denmark (and Glenn Hauser: I mean TOTALLY!), seven people died
due to the weather, roofs were smashed, radio transmitter antennas for local
radiostations were damaged and many were off the air for many days, and
national TV-transmitters were also off the air. Insurance companies say, the
damaged from the hurricane will cost around three billion Danish crowns
(about 450 million US dollars).
I was lucky - I only lost some of the roof, four big trees in the garden -
and all my antennas.

Best 73's

Bjarke Vestesen
Denmark