[HCDX]: IRCA's AM DX NewsFlash - EXTRA (2nd try)

[HCDX]: IRCA's AM DX NewsFlash - EXTRA (2nd try)

Sorry folks... the first time I sent this (two weeks ago) it didn't come out
right.  I just found out yesterday when I looked at what I'd sent myself
here in Mukilteo.  Sorry.  I guess Lotus Notes IS different from Exchange.

Here's the complete NF report in one file!!

         WELCOME TO IRCA's AM-DX NEWSFLASH  -  December 8 1999
                             Vol 5  No 36

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
                   IRCA's web site... check it out!!
                http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5792/
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

THIS IS AN AM DX NEWSFLASH EXTRA... DIRECT FROM RI TO YOU

Deadline for next issue = WEDNESDAY, December 22 1999 @ 1400 UTC

 Send all contributions to me @ philip_bytheway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
                 X         XX    XX     XX    X     XXXXXXX
                X X        X X  X X     X X   X     X
               XXXXX       X  XX  X     X  X  X     XXXX
              X     X      X      X     X   X X     X
             X       X     X      X     X    XX     X
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

1999 NF DXPEDITION REPORT by Jean Burnell

Introduction

   This was the eighth major effort at Cappahayden, and as such we seem
to be getting more and more demanding about what we expect to hear. The
incredible 130 country total of the fifth DXpedition is unlikely to be
surpassed without an equally large DXpedition, so we have focused once
more on going for new catches and difficult DX.  The DXpeditioners were:
Alan Merriman [AM], Chincoteague, VA, AOR AR-7030 Plus 15 Oct - 23 Oct
John Fisher [JF], Calgary, AB, Icom R-71A 15 Oct - 17 Oct Neil Kazaross
[NK], Barrington, IL, AOR AR-7030 17 Oct - 24 Oct Jean Burnell [JB] St.
John's, NF Drake R8A & Icom R-71A 9 Oct - 24 Oct
   As I had my children with me for a couple of days, some logs have
also been contributed by 9-year-old cub-DXer Christopher Burnell [CB]
using a Sony 2010.
   The antenna complement at the DXpedition was: Brazilian Beverage: 1
km twin-lead with Byan termination aimed at eastern Brazil.  This is
also quite effective for Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina as well as
southern Africa.  We extended this even longer for one night. African
Beverage: 390 m unterminated wire towards southern Africa. This was
extended half-way through the DXpedition, and with a wider beam than the
Brazilian Beverage, it really helped with the Africans. European
Beverage: 500 m terminated wire towards northern Europe. Eastern routes
were far from exceptional, so we may not have missed much when this
antenna was clipped short by wave action. Delta (K9AY) Loops: Up to
three such systems were used. By and large these were handy for filling
in the gaps between the Beverage beams, and sometimes these provided
quieter coverage than the Beverages. The ends of the Beverage antennas
connected through noise-reducing transformers to coaxial cables that
brought the signals into the radio "shack."  The signals were gently
amplified using Kiwa broadband amplifiers then split four ways using ICE
splitters.  Each DXer could choose his antenna at the flick of a switch.
I used a modified MJF-1026 unit for phasing.  Al used a unit based on
Mark Connelly's Super-phaser design, and Neil had his zillion-knob
Connelly unit of uncertain vintage (carbon-dating being unavailable at
Cappahayden).
   I like to go to the DX site the weekend before the crowd arrives so
that I can ferry the many spools of antenna wire and coax and other
heavy material such as bottles of drinking water.  The hamlet of
Cappahayden does not change much.  This time there seemed to be even
fewer human inhabitants, but more aggressive dogs.  The best way to make
sure that nothing important has been forgotten is to DX for a night.  I
had forgotten part of my delta (K9AY) loop set-up!  It would have been
foolish to try to erect it anyway, as the wind was howling at about 100
km/h, and it began to rain heavily.  I did stretch out the 1-km long
Brazilian Beverage and the 500-m European wire, but neither was
terminated until the next week.  I was stalked by a seal while fiddling
with the latter, and I picked up a jawbone and a vertebra of a baleen
whale on the beach.
   Propagation from the East was better than during the full-fledged
DXpedition.  I heard stations such as Yemen on 760 kHz and BBC from
Redmoss on 1449 kHz that were not audible a week later.  I discovered
that the Brazilian Beverage had snapped about 250 meters from the shack,
which explained a disappointing initial showing from Brazil.
   The next Friday I was back in Cappahayden getting the shack set up.
Al Merriman arrived in the afternoon, and I had to zoom back to St.
John's to collect my children from school and bring them down to
Cappahayden. They were disappointed not to be stalked by a seal, but we
did find another whale vertebra and half a dozen pieces of baleen
(machete-sized, but flexible whale teeth).  My first log was Tanzania on
1377 kHz, not a bad start!  We were DXing when John Fisher arrived.  He
picks up the narrative
here:

John Fisher:
   While this may have been my third trip to the East Coast Mecca of
DXing, Cappahayden, Newfoundland, time has not jaundiced my appreciation
of this great location.
   As with my last trip in 1998, I was fortunate to have been able to
have my visit coincide with a business trip to Germany.  So rather than
have to deal with an 8-hour time difference and jet lag in Germany, I
was able to split the trip in half, making my transition to German Time
easier. (That's my story, and I am sticking to it!).  In fact, when I
heard in late Spring that I would be making this trip, I sent off a note
to Jean, asking if he would be interested in a weekend of DX.  His reply
was that he had been thinking of having another DXpedition, so invites
were sent and the plan was set in motion.
   Every time that I have been to Newfoundland, the weather has been
almost as exciting as the DX.  This year was no exception.  I saw on
Friday morning's weather report in Toronto that there were high wind
warnings for Atlantic Canada, so I expected a rough ride on the flight
in.  When I landed and picked up the rental car, I got the first taste
of the wind that was awaiting me.  The woman at the counter told me that
I may want to avoid an area near the University since some streets were
closed because the roof was blown off the Aquarena.  When I got in the
car and tuned on the radio, I heard that there had been hurricane-force
winds of 140 km/h on the south shore (where I was headed) and that the
winds tonight would be gusting over 100 km/h.  Well those winds stayed
with us all weekend and made putting up the K9AY loops for Jean and Al a
real challenge.  However, I tip my hat to the pilots of the planes that
flew in and out of St. John's airport; they really know how to handle
these windy conditions.  The take off and landings were as smooth as any
that I have had in calm conditions.   While I was only at the DX Inn for
47 hours, reception conditions provided for a little bit of everything.
On the first night, reception was so-so; Europeans were in with fair
signals, South America was OK, and we could hear Kenya on 1386.  A check
of the MW bands in the morning revealed improving conditions to deep
South America and my first logging of HCJB on 690.  On Saturday
afternoon, central Europe and North Africa was coming in stronger,
providing me with my first receptions of Belgium 1188 and Algeria 1422.
But the real highlight this afternoon was an African station on 1062
that had all three of us, listening and taping intently.  All
indications were that this station was from Nigeria, however, it took us
until the next night to confirm this.  By early evening, stations in
Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay were making a good showing.  Many of the
Argentineans were new for me, including 630, 1030 and 950.
   But by far the highlight of the night was hearing a station on 530
with a British-accented announcer in English under Radio Visión on the
southern Beverage. Could it have been Falklands?
   On Sunday afternoon before I left, I went for a short drive in the
countryside.  After passing through "The Barrens," a zone of sub-arctic
tundra with only rocks, a few short trees and ponds, I reached the
hamlet of Portugal Cove South and the sign to Cape Race and its
lighthouse.  Only 20 km to Cape Race the sign said, so it should only be
a short drive.  The road started off as a gravel road, turned into a
more rocky trail and then it really started to degenerate.  After about
6 km, it was little more than two tire paths over the rock and grass.
At times it was hard to tell where the road stopped and where the field
took over.  I finally reached the end of the road.  My rental car had
scraped over the rocks to get here and there was the lighthouse was
finally in view.  After all that, when I got a little closer, I saw that
the lighthouse was surrounded by scaffolding and plastic - a
reconstruction project.  So much for getting a nice photo of a remote
lighthouse on a desolate Atlantic point!
   Sunday evening left only a few hours of DXing before I had to leave,
but they were good hours. In all of my trips to Cappahayden I had never
experienced really good conditions to Southern Africa. There were a few
glimpses of Lesotho and Botswana, but never anything really solid. Today
that changed.  It started off with strong signals from Guinea on 1386
and quickly led to Angola 945, a weak signal from Senegal on 765 (so
they are still on, but not very strong), a killer signal from Mozambique
on 1206 and a possible unauthorized relay of Merlin Network One on 1485.
   Once again it was great to see Jean and enjoy his hospitality and the
use of his Icom R71A. That saved me from lugging around a communications
receiver for 3 weeks while I traversed North America and Germany on
business.  Once again, I got to meet Neil for a couple of hours; it
seems like one of us is always leaving when the other is arriving. Maybe
one of these trips we will overlap for a longer period. And it was a
pleasure to meet Al for the first (and probably not the last) time.
While I have numerous tapes to keep me busy for a little while, I am
already looking forward to my next trip to the windy coast of
Newfoundland.

   Again, Neil and John seemed to cross in the air!  As the weather
continued to disappoint, the DX didn't.  Conditions were quite auroral
on the night that John left, and we scored some fabulous reception of
Mozambique on 1206 kHz and of the Nigerian on 1062 kHz.  We also picked
up some good Argentinean and Uruguayan signals, and the best audio I
have for Falklands on 530 kHz was taped that night.  The next few nights
were not as interesting, even though more new Brazilians were logged.
   The 19th was probably our worst day in terms of weather.  The 120
km/h winds, the tail of Hurricane Irene, had managed to drag our
European wire into the heavy surf during the night, then in the morning
as I drove to St. John's there were snow flurries.  (The missing
sections of the European wire were spliced in a few days later, and we
set out another, shorter wire aimed roughly at southern Africa.)
However, the 19th was also the evening in which auroral conditions
returned, and this time in spectacular fashion.  I missed most of the
fun since I didn't arrive back in Cappahayden until after Africans had
signed off.  Neil and Al gleefully recounted how I had missed Lesotho on
891 kHz and a bunch of stations from Botswana.
   Fortune smiled when the weather didn't.  The auroral conditions
persisted, and in subsequent evenings I managed to relog most of the
stations I had missed on the 19th.  This included Family Radio on 1197
kHz, which is from the ex-BBC transmitter in Lesotho, Emissora
Províncial de Tete from Mozambique on 963 kHz, and three "new" (for me)
Botswana stations.  We also caught a lot of great signals from southern
South America, and even a "new" Peruvian on 810 kHz.  Every DXpedition I
gripe that we never hear Chile on our big antennas.  I did hear Radio
Familia del Maule on 1570 kHz back in August, so it doesn't hurt as much
to admit it this time...we still didn't hear Chile on a DXpedition, but
I'll trade Falklands for Chile any day!
   To wrap up, here's a final word from Neil:

Neil Kazaross:  It was great to see Jean and John again and to meet Al
and see the impressive K9AY loops in action.  The DXpedition was a HUGE
success thanks to great auroral conditions, and helped towards Africa by
the shorter wire just to the east of our monster 1-km Brazil-getter!

The Logs  (UTC dates and times)

Trans-Atlantic DX

 530  UNID  20 Oct, 1951 - Woman in AA, AA music; SIO 221 with splatter
       from LORAN [JB].  21 Oct, 2045 - Here again with AA music, then
       Koran with French translation, Neil has an ID for Cairo on tape!
       SIO 222 [JB].
 531  BOTSWANA   R. Botswana, Maun, 19 Oct, 2145-2200 - Poor-fair with
       EE music, // 972, then lost under the Spanish pest; new wire put
       a nice null on Spain to give us a new logging [NK].  23 Oct, 2111
       - African pop music, // 972; SIO 243 [JB].  23 Oct, 2116 - In
       well over Spain and Madeira with mellow African music, // loud
       873 and 972 [NK].
 540  MALI  ORTM, Bamako, 23 Oct, 2147 - Clear under CBT with tribal
       African rhythms, // 4783 [NK].
 549  ALGERIA  RTA, Les Trembles, 16 Oct, 0113-0118 - AA stringed music
       and AA talks; very good // 891 was poor [JF].
 567  IRELAND  RTE-1, Tullamore, 16 Oct, 0119 - Interview with woman
       about a nurses' strike; fair [JF].
 612  MOROCCO  RTM, Sebaa-Aioun, 16 Oct, 0122 - AA talk in what sounded
       like a news-magazine show; fair until faded under co-channel
       Ireland [JF].
 630  NORWAY  RRK, Vigra, 21 Oct, 2244 - Country and western music, //
       1314; SIO 333 [JB].
 630  TUNISIA  RTT, Tunis, 16 Oct, 0100 - Slow pips over AA music, AA
       talk from 0002; SIO 443, but later QRMed increasingly by another
       AA station [JB].
 648  GAMBIA  Gambia R., Bonto, 17 Oct, 2028 - Decent with tribal music
       and African talk [NK].
     + 17 Oct, 2036 - Presumed; man in African language; fair to good
       [JF].
     + 21 Oct, 2131 - Woman with news about Gambia and Africa; SIO 242
       but no sign of Botswana [JB].
 657  ENGLAND  BBC R. Cornwall, Bodmin, 16 Oct, 0108 - Report on
       Hurricane Irene, // 909; SIO 322 [JB].
 657  ISRAEL  Kol Israel B, Tel Aviv, 16 Oct, 0012 - Hebrew phone-in
       then "My Way," // 1206; SIO 322, under Spain [JB].
 657  SOUTH AFRICA  Pulpit R., Meyerton, 23 Oct, 2133 - Tentative;
       religious tunes, few or no announcements until off at 2200, but
       level too low for much comprehension by that time; SIO 242-1
       [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 2135 - Presumed; over Spain for a few minutes on our
       African antenna with EE religious singing; after 2200 this was
       off but their open carrier was clearly on [NK].
 666  ALGERIA  ENDS, Tindouf, 21 Oct, 2242 - Clear and almost alone, //
       891, with AA talk [NK].
 675  NETHERLANDS  R. Ten Gold, Lopik, 10 Oct, 0007 - Pop music, jingle
       ID; SIO 544 [JB].
 747  BURKINA FASO  Radiodif. Nat. du Burkina, Ouagadougou, 23 Oct, 2114
       - Man in African language, // 4815, but lost to Spain shortly
       after; SIO 232 [JB].
 760  YEMEN  Yemen R., Mukalla, 9 Oct, 2037 - Woman in AA; SIO 333 with
       LORAN QRM [JB].
     + 9 Oct, 2209 - Koran, man with announcement in AA, anthem at 2212
       and off; SIO 243 [JB].
 765.08  SENEGAL  RTS, Dakar, 17 Oct, 2022 - FF talks by a man - the
       type of French definitely sounded more African than European -
       pop music; fair, but only audible on the southern Beverage;
       nothing heard on the European antenna [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 2023 - Presumed; man in African language, sounded like
       Senegal of old, but weak; SIO 242 [JB].
 765  SWITZERLAND  R. Suisse Romande, Sottens, 9 Oct, 2039 - Pop music;
       SIO 444 over unID Brit [JB].
     + 9 Oct, 2300 - FF news, sports, and weather; SIO 544 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 2145 - Pop music, FF news at 2200, IDs as "La Première;"
       good [JF].
 792  GREECE  Voice of America, Kavalla, 22 Oct, 0353 - Over Spain with
      woman in Slavic language interviewing an American EE speaker [NK].
 792  UNID  16 Oct, 0126-0131 - Koranic chants, AA (?) talks, time pips
       at 0130 mixing with co-channel Spain and starting to fade down;
       fair [JF].
     + 16 Oct, 0126 - Koran, possible AA ID at 0129, AA talk under
       Spain; SIO 322 [JB].
 810  SCOTLAND  BBC R. Scotland, synchros, 9 Oct, 2249 - "Celtic
       Connection" program to 2255, then news and weather and into BBC
       WS at 2300; SIO 444 [JB].
 846  ITALY  RAI R. 2, Rome, 16 Oct, 0305 - News in EE; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 0305-0311 - EE news and sports and into Italian news at
       0306; "Notturno Italiano" program at 0311; fair [JF].
 846  SOUTH AFRICA  R. Xhosa, Komga, 17 Oct, 2041 - Talk in unidentified
       language on southern Beverage; poor [JF].
     + 18 Oct, 2125-2127 - Fair with talk in Xhosa into mellow EE music;
       on our new, shorter 1300-foot wire, which had great nulls to
       Europe in this bad area, we could listen to this basically clear
       of Italy all night [NK].
 864  ARMENIA  Trans-World R., Kamo, 10 Oct, 0042 - Eastern language,
       into "Old Rugged Cross," IS and ID in EE at 0045 then American
       syndicated religion; SIO 544 [JB].
 864  EGYPT  Egyptian R., Santah, 17 Oct, 0320 - Koranic readings, //
       9755; fair [JF].
 873  BOTSWANA  R. Botswana, Ghanzi, 22 Oct, 2152 - // 972 with man and
       woman in African language well atop Spain [NK].  22 Oct, 2155 -
       Man and woman with news, // 972; SIO 252 [JB].
 891  LESOTHO  R. Lesotho, Maseru,  19 Oct, 2220-2240 - New to our log
       thanks to new wire with a great null to Europe in this frequency
       range and very little QRM from Algeria and only remnants from
       Portugal; station had African talk and nice tribal music, //
       4800, with good peaks [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 2005 - Man in African language, // 4800; SIO 232, best on
       the K9AY loops since the Beverages were picking up a lot of QRM
       from co-channel Algeria and Portugal [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2022 - HUGE signal, way better than SW!! When this was
       this strong, it beat up Algeria on our Brazilian Beverage as well
       [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 2036 - Now strong with nice African music, over Algeria;
       SIO 433 [JB].
 907.84  GAMBIA  R. Syd, Banjul, 19 Oct, 2013 - EE country & western
       music; good [NK].
     + 21 Oct, 2137 - African music, then woman DJ in EE before more
       African music; SIO 242 [JB].
 909  BOTSWANA  Voice of America, Selebi-Phikwe, 23 Oct, 2048 - Very
       weak under unID African with woman in EE, definitely // 4950; SIO
       121 [JB].
 909  ENGLAND  BBC R. 5, synchros, 16 Oct, 0125 - EE interviews [CB].
 909  MOROCCO  RTM, Safi, 17 Oct, 2026 - Talk in French and local music,
       // 774; fair [JF].
 909  NIGERIA  FRCN Abuja National Station, Fwagwa Lada, 23 Oct, 2043 -
       Tentative; males in African language, definitely mentioned
       "Abuja" at 2050, African music after 2056; SIO 222 [JB].
 945  ANGOLA  R. Nacional, Cazenga, 17 Oct, 2046-2102 - Religious
       program with male preacher in PP who mentioned Angola several
       times and some religious music, clear ID at 2056 as
       "Radiodiffusão Nacional Angola," more music until French news at
       2100; good [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 2047 - Man in African language preaching, mentioned
       Angola often; SIO 444 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 2030 - HUGE signal; man reading news in FF mentioning
       various local officials [NK].
     + 21 Oct, 2034 - French "MicroMagazine" news program to 2045, then
       African music; SIO 354 [JB].
 954  UNID 22 Oct, 2127 - Presumably an African; weak briefly well under
       the Spanish pest with American Black-oriented music [NK].
 963  FINLAND  Oy Yleisradio Abe (YLE), Pori, 10 Oct, 0254 - Finnish
       folk music, pips and news at 0300; SIO 333-2 [JB].
 963  PORTUGAL  R. Renascença, Seixal, 17 Oct, 2253 - Pop music
       including "Monday, Monday" by the Mamas and Papas, PP IDs and ads
       at 2257; fair to good with no sign of Finland [JF].
 963  MOZAMBIQUE  Em. Prov. de Tete, Tete, 22 Oct, 2100 - ID as"
       Emissora Províncial de Tete...." I can't make out the word after
       Tete; into PP news mentioning Cidade de Beira after 2100; this
       had virtually no QRM on the new shorter Beverage, which allowed
       nice African reception due to wider beam but a nice null of
       Europe [NK].
     + 23 Oct, 2058 - On the K9AY loops and on the African Beverage; pop
       music, PP talk from 2059, telephone report at 2101; SIO 242, R.
       Renascença was audible on the European Beverage [JB].
 972  BOTSWANA  R. Botswana, Sebeli, 17 Oct, 2042 - EE announcer giving
       sports scores and then African language; fair-good [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 2034 - Man in African language; SIO 243 [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 2123 - Deep-voice man then woman with news report in EE;
       SIO 333 [JB].
 972  GERMANY  Norddeutscher R., Hamburg, 16 Oct, 0258 - German talk
       mentioning Hamburg, instrumental music bridge; good [JF].
 972  UNID  22 Oct, 2128 - Likely a Nigerian; emerging to mix with
       Botswana, woman in African language hosting program of US pops;
       SIO 222 [JB].
 981  GREECE  ERT, Athens, 16 Oct, 0333 -Woman in Greek; fair-good [JF].
 999  ENGLAND  Magic 999, Preston, 21 Oct, 1955 - Oldies, news at 2000,
       nice ID at 2006; SIO 322 [JB].
 999  SPAIN  R. Pop. de Madrid, Madrid, 21 Oct, 2019 - Local ID as "COPE
       Madrid en 9-99;" over RAI but Brit has disappeared, SIO 333 [JB].
1008  CANARY IS.  R. Voz, Tejada, 16 Oct, 0122 - Loud SS talk [CB].
1017  GERMANY  Sudwestfunk, Mainz, 16 Oct, 2110 - Music "When I Need
       You" by Leo Sayer, male announcer in German mentioning Baden-
       Baden; poor [JF].
1017  TURKEY  TRT-1, Mundanya, 16 Oct, 0245-0304 - Local music with
       female announcer, news at 0300, music at 0304; good [JF].
     + 20 Oct, 1916 - Football play-by-play, IDs as "Radio Bir;" SIO 322
       [JB].
1035  ENGLAND  Country 1035, London, 9 Oct, 2111 - "Country 10-35 AM"
       ID, country music; SIO 343 [JB].
     + 9 Oct, 2304 - Jingle seemed to include "Ritz Country;" SIO 232
       [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 0337-0404 - IDs, C&W music with no announcements, ad at
       0359 for "Country 1035 Match-maker," 0400 Independent Radio News
       read by Mitch Karasay, C&W music at 0402; fair [JF].
1053  ENGLAND  Talk Radio, synchros, 16 Oct, 0107 - ID and phone-in
       show; good and // 1089 fair, 1107 fair [JF].
1062  DENMARK  Danmarks R., Kalundborg, 19 Oct, 0341 - Rock tune, male
       DJ in Danish, woman with marine weather from 0345; SIO 343, with
       QRM from test tones (RAI?) and a buzz on the frequency [JB].
1062  NIGERIA  Enugu State BS, Onitsha, 16 Oct, 2159 - Station/location
       tentative; African music fading up, EE ID by woman (muffled
       audio) and time as "11 o'clock," pop tunes, ID at 2237 as "Radio
       2," seemed to be news at 2300, children recite Nigerian pledge at
       2310 and off; variable but SIO 443 at peak [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 2202-2310* - Program of pop and rap music including songs
       by Madonna and Michael Jackson, female announcer in English with
       heavy African accent with time checks for UTC +1 and numerous Ids
       mentioning "Radio 2", but on this day it was not possible to
       clearly make out the full ID, jingle ID, time check and ID at
       2300 followed by news, music at 2304, English prayer at 2309,
       children's' chorus giving a pledge including the words "God Bless
       Nigeria, my country," short anthem and then off; fair to good
       (JF).
     + 17 Oct, 2058-2102 - Rap music, ID at 2100 as "This is the local -
       -- service of Radio Nigeria," news read by a woman; good but over
       modulated [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 2100 - Woman with the "latest from the news service of
       Radio Nigeria;" audio always muffled! SIO 443 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 2300 - Muffled ID included "Radio Nigeria," Nigerian
       news, religious message, Nigerian pledge, anthem and off at 2309;
       SIO 342 with deep fades [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 2000 - Good with ID "ADFC AM you've got the place;" this
       was very easy to hear all week [NK].
1062  UNID  15 Oct, 2338 - Back to back old pops/country tunes, suspect
       Country R. in Czech Rep.; SIO 242 [JB].
1098  SLOVAKIA  Slovenska R., Velke Kolostany, 17 Oct, 0057-0123 -
       Slovak talk, time pips at 0100 followed by news, overnight EZL
       music program at 0104; good [JF].
1116  CHANNEL ISLANDS & ENGLAND  BBC Guernsey and BBC Derby, 16 Oct,
       0217 - BBC Overnight show with the two stations not synchronized
       producing a one-second echo; fair [JF].
1134  CROATIA  Hrvatski R., Zadar, 16 Oct, 0219 - Pop music; good, //
       1125 was fair [JF].
1152  ROMANIA  R. Romania, Cluj, 16 Oct, 0221 - East European music,
       male announcer; fair, // 855 was poor [JF].
1161  SCOTLAND  R. Tay, Dundee, 10 Oct, 0237 - Scottish-accented
       presenter w/ "Five Questions" contest, music, seemed // Clyde 2
       on 1152 kHz; SIO 342 [JB].
1170  NIGERIA  Ogun State Broadcasting Corp., Abeokuta, 17 Oct, 2136 -
       Tentative; talks under co-channel Brazilian; very poor [JF].
     + 19 Oct, 2020 - African-sounding language mixed in a mess of QRM
       [NK].
1179  SWEDEN  R. Sweden, Sölvesbörg, 16 Oct, 2032 - Dance music request
       show in EE and Swedish, // 6065; fair [JF].
1188  BELGIUM  R. Twee, Kortrijk, 16 Oct, 2010-2033 - Two men in
       Flemish, jingle ID at 2012, variety of music including Shania
       Twain, Sister Sledge; fair with fading under Hungary by 2030[JF].
1188  HUNGARY  Magyar R., Szolnok, 16 Oct, 1938-2010 - Pop music, news
       at 2000 in Hungarian mixing with co-channel Belgium; fair [JF].
1197  LESOTHO  Family R., Lancer's Gap, 17 Oct, 2034 - EE religious
       program on southern Beverage; poor [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 2134 - EE religion; SIO 222-1 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2044 - Religion in EE, "Family Radio" ID at 2101, more
       religion; SIO 242 [JB].  This is the ex-BBC 100-kW transmitter.
1206  ISRAEL  Kol Israel Reshet Bet, Haifa, 16 Oct, 0010 - Hebrew phone-
       in program; long deep fades, SIO 443 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 2343 - Phone-in show with announcer saying "Shalom;" only
       in momentarily, poor [JF].
1206  MOZAMBIQUE  Em. Prov. de Inhambane, Inhambane, 17 Oct, 2102-2206*
       - Pop music program with PP announcements, nice ID at 2200,
       anthem at 2204 before sign-off; fair peaking at good [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 2123 - PP news, instrumental guitar music and PP songs;
       SIO 333 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 2022 - Good with local mentions during PP male and female
       commentary; the Beverage and auroral conditions took out European
       QRM [NK].
     + 22 Oct, 2055 - Pop music, ID, silence for almost 2 minutes before
       music at 2059, ID and news at 2100; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 2106 - PP woman tried to talk to child...she couldn't
       understand the child either; SIO 332 [JB].
1215  BOTSWANA  R. Botswana, Mahalapye, 23 Oct, 2119 - African music, //
       972; SIO 232 [JB].  23 Oct, 2120 - Very good, // several others
       [NK].
1251  LIBYA  Voice of Great Homeland, Tripoli, 16 Oct, 2348 - AA talk
       and music, // 15415; poor [JF].
     + R. Voix de l'Afrique, 18 Oct, 2031 - EE news just ending then FF
       news with IDs; SIO 433 [JB].
1260  ENGLAND  Classic Gold 1260, Mangotsfield, 21 Oct, 2027 - DJ chats
       with female caller, pop tunes, weather for "Bristol and West" and
       "Bristol and Bath," lots of IDs and promos; SIO 333 [JB].
1260  ENGLAND  Sabras Sound, Freeman's Common, 21 Oct, 2022 - (It's not
       "common" here!) Poking occasionally above Classic Gold with
       Indian music; SIO 222-1 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 2040 - Peaking now with Indian music; SIO 232 [JB].
1269  GERMANY  DeutschlandRadio, Neumünster, 15 Oct, 2224 - German talk;
       good [CB].
1278  ENGLAND  Classic Gold 1278, Bradford, 19 Oct, 0155 - Over and
       under Ireland with "Classic Gold" ID [NK].
1296  ENGLAND  R. XL 1296, Langley Mill, 10 Oct, 0004 - Indian music,
       Hindi announcer but some EE; SIO 444 [JB].
1323  GERMANY  Voice of Russia, Wachenbrunn, 16 Oct,  1924-2000 - FF
       programming, sign-off announcement at 1958, chimes IS, time pips
       and EE ID at 2000; EE news; fair [JF].
     + 16 Oct, 2052 - "Russian by Radio" program, frequency announcement
       and IS at 2058; SIO 333 [JB].
1332  UNID  23 Oct, 2005 and 2043 - African here in PP, not // Portugal
       or Madeira stations, with US music; is this Angola or Mozambique?
       [NK].
1341  NORTHERN IRELAND  BBC R. Ulster, Lisnagarvey, 16 Oct, 2028 - C&W
       music show, program promo for a BBC Live music show for the
       Millennium, ID as "BBC Radio Ulster," old jive music; very good
       [JF].
1359  EGYPT  Egyptian R., Batra, 9 Oct, 2131 - Fade up over Brits w/
       classical flute music; SIO 332 [JB].
1368  ISLE OF MAN  Manx R., Douglas, 16 Oct, 2318 - Oldies music
       "Imagine" by John Lennon; fair with het [JF].
1377  ENGLAND  Asian Sound R., Manchester, 15 Oct, 2200 - Independent
       Radio News to 2202, then quickly faded; SIO 222-1 [JB].
     + 15 Oct, 2355 - Male host in unIDed language, Independent Radio
       News, then ads or slogans; SIO 242-1 as Tanzania had faded down
       for a while [JB].
1377  TANZANIA  R. Free Africa, Mwaza, 15 Oct, 2158 - African choral
       music, VOA news from 2200 to 2206, then back to music; SIO 232
       [JB].
     + 15 Oct, 2258 - More repetitive African music, ID at 2300 as
       "Radio Tanzania, Dar es Salaam" before news; SIO 353 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 2127 - African choral music, no announcements; SIO 333
       [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 2330 - Music sounded like an anthem, then just piano
       music without announcement; SIO 444 [JB].
1385.93  GUINEA  R. Rurale, Labé, 17 Oct, 1954-2032 - Flute music with
       tedious singing (it must be an acquired taste!), "Le Magazine du
       Monde" in FF at 2001 with many mentions of Conakry, local music
       at 2025 and more FF talk at 2031; good [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 1957 - Repetitive African music, "Le Magazine du
       Dimanche" program in FF began at 2001; SIO 354 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 1937 - In reasonably well by 1937 and was huge most
       evenings by 2000 [NK].
1386  KALININGRAD / RUSSIA  Voice of Russia, Bolshakovo, 16 Oct, 2026 -
       EE economics show talking about the price of diamonds in Germany;
       good [JF].
     + 20 Oct, 1911 - Newsmagazine in EE about organized crime
       conference; SIO 353 [JB].
1386  KENYA  KBC, Maralal, 16 Oct, 0158 - IS, choral anthem at 0200,
       woman with frequency announcement; SIO 232 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 0158-0202 - Talking drum IS, choral anthem at 0200,
       female announcer at 0201 with "You are listening to..." then
       music; very poor [JF].
1422  ALGERIA  ENDS, Alger, 16 Oct, 2043 - FF pop music with FF
       announcements; poor to fair [JF].
     + 16 Oct, 2044 - Faded up over Germany with FF program "Galaxie,"
       phone-in contest then pop music; SIO 433 [JB].
1422  GERMANY  DeutschlandRadio, Heusweiler, 16 Oct, 2043 - Light
       orchestral music program; SIO 422 [JB].
1431  SPAIN  RNE R. 5, two stations, 18 Oct, 2024 - Two signals, poorly
       synchronized with network program; SIO 332 [JB].
1449  ITALY  RAI Radio 2, synchros, 9 Oct, 2157 - Over Brit with music,
       woman with program announcement, then anthem; SIO 322 [JB].
1449  SCOTLAND  BBC R. 4, Redmoss, 9 Oct, 2159 - Became more apparent as
       Italy disappeared, "Radio 4" just before pips and news at 2200,
       marine weather from 2203; SIO 222 [JB].
1458  ENGLAND  Lite AM, Manchester, 9 Oct, 2053 - Old pop song, ID and
       jingle before news at 2100; SIO 322 [JB].
1467  FRANCE / MONACO  TWR, Roumoules, 16 Oct, 2140 - Religious music,
       preacher in English with simultaneous AA translation; good [JF].
1467  SAUDI ARABIA  BSKSA, unknown location, 15 Oct, 2241 - AA music and
       talk, // 1440 (which was stronger); SIO 343 [JB].
1476  AUSTRIA  ORF, Bisamberg, 16 Oct, 2154-2202 - EE/unID language
       talks, soft pops, multilingual IDs at 2158 "Radio Austria -
       Neighbour in Need," news in German at 2200; fair [JF].
1476  UNITED ARAB EMIRATES  U.A.E. R., Dubai, 16 Oct, 1920 - AA talks
       and music, // 13675, poor [JF].
     + 19 Oct, 1922 - Fair to good with AA music, // 13675, over/under
       Austria [NK].
1484.3  SPAIN unID SER station, 23 Oct, 1945 - Station off frequency
       here [NK].
1484.90  ANGOLA  unID station, 23 Oct, 2000 - US music and PP announcer,
       soon QRMed by Spain and Ascension [NK].
     + 23 Oct, 2018 - Rave/dance music with PP announcements, time to
       time heard echoed canned "Música!", and at 2028 and 2037 also
       said something about "cultural" as well as AM and FM frequencies;
       SIO 242 [JB].
     + I thought this might be the Estação Rádio de Madeira (which I've
       never previously logged), but Rocco Cotroneo in Brazil, who has
       heard this station as well, says he is sure it  is  Angolan.
1485  ASCENSION ISLAND  R. Ascension, English Bay, 17 Oct, 2151 - Very
       likely this based on antenna bearing; Merlin One rock music with
       Merlin IDs; occasionally faded up very strongly, SIO 444-2 [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 2155-2232 - Usual Merlin rock music program with British
       announcer saying that they were also on shortwave (9720) and
       satellite; possibly an unlicensed rebroadcast from Ascension as
       the station was only audible on the southern Beverage; a phone
       call to Merlin on the next day, indicated that they were unaware
       of a broadcast on this frequency; good [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 2200 - Well atop Spain on Brazilian Beverage with Merlin
       Radio feed with popular rock music [NK].  Are the guys in the
       middle of the Atlantic are getting a little tired of BBC WS?
1485  ENGLAND  BBC R. Humberside, Hull, 21 Oct, 1950 - Mixed with Spain
       and atop a station that was different from R. Merseyside with
       Indian film music (possibly a new Dutch station which has Indian
       format) ID heard as "serving Lincolnshire and the North Midlands,
       this is BBC Radio Humberside" [NK].
1485  ENGLAND  BBC R. Merseyside, Wallasey, 21 Oct, 1944 - News of
       Merseyside Bangladesh Centre, ID at 1946; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 1945 - Excellent; over Spain with ID after Indian music
       [NK].
1485  SPAIN  Onda Cero R., Vilanova & Antequera, 18 Oct, 2100 - Under
       SER with different news broadcast in SS; SIO 322-1 [JB].
1485  SPAIN  R. Santander, Santander, 18 Oct, 2057 - Regional program
       with "Radio Cantabria" IDs and ads, back to SER network at 2100;
       SIO 444 [JB].
1492.7  MOROCCO  RTM, Casablanca, 18 Oct, 1950 - Wild music and AA
       announcer, //1044, 774, 909 .. note this is NOT Ivory Coast [NK].
1502  ANGOLA  Em. Prov. de Benguela, Benguela, 17 Oct, 2017 - PP talk;
       fair [NK].  17 Oct, 2126 - Presumed; African music; fair [JF].
1503  AZORES  AFN, Lajes, 16 Oct, 1941-1957 - EE features; fair [JF].
1503  POLAND  TWR/Norea R., Szczecin, 21 Oct, 1947 - Scandinavian
       language talk; SIO 444 [JB].
1512  BELGIUM  R. Vlaanderen, Wolvertem, 16 Oct, 1902 - Flemish news;
       fair as European stations were starting to fade in [JF].
1512  CRETE / GREECE  ERA, Chania, 23 Oct, 0111 - Far under the Koran
       from Saudi Arabia with very Middle-Eastern-sounding music, then
       talk in Greek; SIO 322 [JB].
1521  ENGLAND  The Breeze, Reigate, 15 Oct, 2242 - "The Breeze 15-21"
       ID, old pops; SIO 333-2 [JB].
1521  SAUDI ARABIA  BSKSA, Duba, 16 Oct,1903 - AA music; good [JF].
1530  SÃO TOMÉ  Voice of America, Pinheira, 16 Oct, 0300 - EE ID and
       news; poor-fair [JF].
     + 18 Oct, 2142 - EE talk about dangers for Americans in Nigeria;
       SIO 333 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 2000 - "Africa World Tonight;" SIO 433, over British
       commercial station [JB].
1530  VATICAN  Vatican R., 17 Oct, 1950 - EE radio drama "The Trial Of
       St. Theresa;" fair [JF].
1539  GERMANY  Evangeliums Rundfunk, Mainflingen, 18 Oct, 2139 -
       Christian rock music; SIO 422 with massive QRM from SER
       station(s) [JB].
1548  MOLDOVA  Voice of Russia, Grigoriopol, 16 Oct, 0133 - EE ID into
       sombre vocal music; poor [JF].
1566  BELARUS  R. Mayak, synchros, 21 Oct, 1930 - Peaking good with man
       in Slavic language [NK].
1566  UNID  17 Oct, 0029 - Mid-eastern style stringed music; likely Iran
       since it did not go to Hindi news at 0030, which is what AIR
       stations have done here in the past; poor [JF].
1575  CLANDESTINE / KUWAIT  Al Mustaqbal, 9 Oct, 2027 - AA music over
       Spain, ID and AA talk about Iraq; SIO 444 [JB].
1601  SPAIN  R. Vitória, Vitória, 15 Oct, 2208 - SS news; good [CB].
1630  UNID  9 Oct, 2144 - Middle Eastern or Eastern European a cappela
       music; very weak [JB].
1636.17  NETHERLANDS  unID pirate, 16 Oct, 2115 - Dutch and German hoaky
       tunes, probably R. Barones; SIO 252-1, deep fades and frequent
       transmitter cut-outs [JF/JB].
1670  UNID  9 Oct, 2147 - Similar to 1630 kHz, but too weak to hope for
       an ID [JB].

Pan-American DX

 530  FALKLAND IS.  Falkland Island BS, Stanley, 10 Oct, 0353 - EE talk
       under RVC, but too QRMed to comprehend; SIO 221 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 0137 - Woman and man in EE under RVC; SIO 121 [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 0253 - Rock music; SIO 221 [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 0407 - Man in EE with British accent up briefly under R.
       Visión on the southern Beverage only; music at 0408, but dropped
       out very quickly; very poor [JF].
     + 18 Oct, 0419 - Unequivocally BBC WS under RVC; SIO 222 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 0422-0424 - Under RVC Turks with EE commentary by man and
       woman clearly // 6175 BBC WS; this was not that common during the
       DXpedition, occasionally one could phase a null that helped a
       bit, although this was difficult to achieve and maintain on RVC
       [NK].
 530  TURKS & CAICOS IS.  R  Visión Cristiana, South Caicos, 16 Oct,
       0111 - SS talk and ID; good [JF].
 535  GRENADA  GBC, St. Georges, 16 Oct, 0056-0107 - A really eclectic
       mixture of music with EZL pops, island music and rap; ad for
       "Lacroix Brothers Burial Society with offices in St. Georges,
       Grenville and Carriacou" at 0100; choral style music; fair-good
       [JF].
 550  PUERTO RICO WPAB, Ponce, 21 Oct, 0105 - Tentative; one "Puerto
       Rico" mention in a long talk before lost under the Venezuelan and
       another SS station (probably Uruguay) [NK].
 550  URUGUAY  R. Colonia (CW1), Colonia, 18 Oct, 0409 - Notice of
       church services then ID; SIO 433 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 0409 - Atop Venezuelan with ID, then into SS religious
       program [NK].
     + 22 Oct, 0143 - Promo for program of news and music from Spain "en
       Colonia;" SIO 322 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0143 - Mostly under YVKE with "Colonia" ID [NK].
 550  VENEZUELA  Mundial (YVKE), Caracas, 22 Oct, 0140 - Slightly
       stronger than co-channel R. Colonia, ballads, ads and many times
       checks with "Mundial" slogans; SIO 333 [JB].
 560  BRAZIL  R. Educadora do Maranhão (ZYH887), São Luís, 22 Oct, 2257
       - Talk about football, IDs around 2301, news, long ad string
       began at 2310, more IDs SIO 343 with CHVO reduced by phasing[JB].
 580  BRAZIL  R. CBN (ZYI776), Recife, 22 Oct, 0439 - Perhaps helped
       through CJFX by the lengthening (one day experiment) of our
       Beverage to 4900 feet; // many stations with "CBN Madrugada" net
       ID [NK].
     + 24 Oct, 0208 - Talk in PP, // 860; SIO 222 [JB].
 580  DOMINICAN REP.  R. Monte Cristi (HIAF), Monte Cristi, 22 Oct, 0901
       - Three stations in SS here, this one with lively music IDed; SIO
       222, suspect dominant (news) station was Puerto Rico [JB].
 580  PUERTO RICO  R. Reloj (WKAQ), San Juan, 23 Oct, 0915 - SS chat and
       ads; SIO 433 [JB].
 600  BRAZIL  R. Gaúcha (ZYK278), Porto Alegre, 21 Oct, 0037 - PP talk,
       // 6020; SIO 333 [JB].
 610  BRAZIL  R. Itatiaia (ZYL268), Belo Horizonte, 20 Oct, 2202 - "A
       Voz do Brasil" ends, ID; SIO 433 [JB].
 610  TRINIDAD & TOBAGO  NBS R., Port of Spain, 17 Oct, 2234 - Nat King
       Cole ballad, ID and EE time check at 2237; fair [JF].
     + 18 Oct, 0449 - Good with a British EE male announcer [NK].
     + 23 Oct, 0817 - Caribbean-accented preacher; SIO 333 [JB].
 610  VENEZUELA  R. Centro (YVXY), Centaura, 18 Oct, 0115 - Probably
       this with sports, // RCR 750 [NK].
 630  ARGENTINA  R. Rivadavia (LS5), Buenos Aires, 17 Oct, 0201 - News,
       weather, ID at 0204 "Rivadavia, solo la verdad;" SIO 444 [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 0204 - SS news, clear ID; good [JF].
     + 18 Oct, 0034 - Election coverage; SIO 222, under another SS
       station [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0105 - Over and under WSKN and a domestic station with ID
       [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 0222 - Election ads, amazingly clear; SIO 444 [JB].
 640  GUADELOUPE  RFO, Pointe-à-Pitre, 10 Oct, 0408 -Pop music and woman
       DJ, // 1375; SIO 333 with CBN phased [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 0059 - ID as "Radio Guadeloupe" before France-Inter news;
       SIO 322 [JB].
 640  VENEZUELA  Unión R. (YVQO), Puerto La Cruz, 18 Oct, 0035 - News by
       man and woman, ID at 0101 only as "Unión Radio;" SIO 433 over
       Guadeloupe with CBN phased [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 0417-"Unión Radio" slogans under Guadeloupe; SIO 222[JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0822 - Promo for baseball with list of Unión R. stations;
       SIO 444 [JB].
 650  COLOMBIA  RCN Antena 2 (HJKH), Bogotá, 18 Oct, 0455 - SS
       announcement, ads, "R-C-N" ID; SIO 243 [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0240 - SS reports from cities in Colombia, accordion
       music, talk about football; SIO 322 under domestic QRM [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 0138 - Football play-by-play, fabulous goals, IDs; SIO
       322 [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 0220 - Ads, "RCN" ID, music; SIO 444 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0201 - "Antena Dos de Calí" ID; SIO 343 [JB].
 650  UNID  18 Oct, 0235 - Classical music station, deep fades like a
       "deep South" American, so S.O.D.R.E. (Uruguay) seems most likely,
       but it faded away before possible ID at 0300; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 0207 - Classical music occasionally fading up but mostly
       under Colombia; SIO 322 at peak [JB].
 660  ST. LUCIA  St. Lucia BC, Babonneau, 18 Oct, 0124 - Excellent; over
       Venezuela with accented EE giving a 9:24 time check then mellow
       instrumental music [NK].
     + 19 Oct, 0051 - Local-like signal, talking about Victory Hospital
       [NK].
     + 23 Oct, 2151 - Man and woman host "Caribbean Count-Down;" SIO 343
       [JB].
 660  VENEZUELA  R. Anaco (YVQZ), 20 Oct, 0350 - Sign-off announcement,
       mentioning 10 kW (says 5 kW in WRTH), state and Venezuelan
       anthems; SIO 443 [JB].
 680  BRAZIL  R. Difusora AM (ZYH885), São Luís, 18 Oct, 0500 - ID [NK].
     + 18 Oct, 0501 - ID, then notice of a meeting for entrepreneurs in
       São Luís; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 0003 - ID then rapidly fading under Puerto Rico; SIO 322
       [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 0259 - Way over WAPA and then lost to unID Brazilian QRM
       [NK].
 680  PUERTO RICO  R. Guapa (WAPA), San Juan, 16 Oct, 0905 - ID "La
       Maxima en Noticias," male announcer; fair [JF].
     + 20 Oct, 0004 - Rose rapidly with IDs listing this and a couple of
       affiliated stations, ads and jingles; SIO 444 [JB].
 680  VENEZUELA  R. Continente (YVQR), Cumaná, 22 Oct, 0210 - Horse-
       racing results, // 740, mentioned "dos mil Bolivares para ganar"
       (can't be much ?) [NK].
 690  BRAZIL  R. Dragão do Mar (ZYH587), Fortaleza, 17 Oct, 0138 -
       Likely; Portuguese language preacher; good [JF].
     + 21 Oct, 0348 - Presumed; seemed like PP religion, mentioned
       "Fortaleza;" SIO 322 [JB].
 690  COLOMBIA  R. Recuerdos (HJCZ), Bogotá, 24 Oct, 0928 - Faded up
       over HCJB with ads and many IDs; SIO 433 [JB].
 690  ECUADOR  Voz de los Andes (HCJB1), Quito, 10 Oct, 0927 - Local
       music, talk in presumed Quechua, // (and better than) 3220; SIO
       444 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 0934-0941 - EZL music, // weaker 3220, coming up nicely
       over nguilla as sun rose, Quechua talk, but fading down by 0941;
       good [JF].
     + 24 Oct, 0919-Man in Quechua, clarinet music, //3220; SIO 333[JB].
 700  ARGENTINA  R. Córdoba (LV3), Córdoba, 20 Oct, 0106 - Man and woman
       with news and sports for the Provincia de Córdoba, ID (garbled)
       and Web address; SIO 322 [JB].
 700  BRAZIL  R. Nova Eldorado AM (ZYK686), São Paulo, 18 Oct, 0522 -
       Lucky to land here as woman IDed; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 0110 - Ads, program promo, ID; SIO 222 [JB].
 700  COLOMBIA  R. Net (HJCX), Calí, 24 Oct, 0933 - "Radio Net" and time
       as 4:30 before news; SIO 332 [JB].
 700  VENEZUELA  R. Sur (YVPQ), Puerto Ordaz, 20 Oct, 0101 - Presumed;
       very likely this with baseball coverage; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 0256 - Still baseball, Caribes del Oriente vs. somebody;
       SIO 332 [JB].
 705  ST. VINCENT  National Broadcasting Corp., Kingstown, 17 Oct, 0345
       - Typical Caribbean eclectic program with LA music, old C&W
       ballads and EE announcer with heavy Caribbean accent; fair [JF].
 710  ARGENTINA  R. Diez (LRL202), Buenos Aires, 17 Oct, 2239 - Election
       coverage, best around 2301 with inaccurate ID: "Radio Diez, la
       radio más potente de Argentina;" SIO 444 briefly [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 2323-2332 - Mostly atop another SS with loteria ad,
       deportes (sports report), and a nice ID "Radio Diez, La Radio más
       potencia de Argentina;" of course many Argentines use more power
       than them [NK].
 710  VENEZUELA  R. Capital (YVKY), Caracas, 17 Oct, 0042 - Baseball
       play-by-play; SIO 322 with QRM from CKVO [JB].
 720  PARAGUAY  R. Pa'i Puki, 25 Leguas, 23 Oct, 0830 - Seems to have
       just signed on with ID (sounds more like "Patai-Paku" to me!) and
       weather; SIO 333, but fading fast [JB].
 730  PARAGUAY  R. Cardinal (ZP7), Asunción, 16 Oct, 0312 - Very likely
       this, no ID noted during sporting event but the Paraguayan team
       was obviously the 'good guys;' SIO 332 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 0314 - SS sporting event with male announcer mentioning
       Paraguay often; poor [JF].
 750  BRAZIL  R. CBN (ZYH709), Brasília, 18 Oct, 0513 - Good with "C-B-
       N" ID atop presumed ZYL213 with RCR off [NK].
     + 24 Oct, 0216-ID noted over/under Venezuelan, //860; SIO 322 [JB].
 750  VENEZUELA  R. Caracas R. (YVKS), Caracas, 17 Oct, 0039 -
       Venezuelan baseball, "R-C-R" IDs; SIO 444 [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 0212 - "RCR" ID and promo, time check, telephone chat;
       SIO 322 [JB].
 760  BRAZIL  R. Record (ZYH588), Fortaleza, 10 Oct, 0225 - Phone chat,
       canned ID at 0227, mellow music; SIO 444 [JB].
 759.78  CUBA  R. Reloj, Caney de las Mercedes, 19 Oct, 0950 - News and
       IDs; SIO 333 [JB].
 760  GUYANA  GBC, Georgetown, 24 Oct, 0126 - Caribbean-accented EE
       women under Fortaleza's big signal [NK].
 760  VENEZUELA  R. Puerto La Cruz (YVQQ), Puerto La Cruz, 16 Oct, 0026
       - Announcement with huge reverb, ID in promo; SIO 333 [JB].
 770  COLOMBIA  RCN (HJJX), Bogotá, 10 Oct, 0229 - "RCN" IDs and hype
       over likely R. Oriental, Uruguay; SIO 433 [JB].
 770  URUGUAY  R. Oriental, 17 Oct, 0331 - Nice ID "Transmite
       CX12...Radio Oriental, Montevideo, Uruguay," male announcer
       talking about classical music; fair [JF].
 780  BRITISH VIRGIN IS.  ZBVI, Roadtown, 24 Oct, 0128 - Caribbean EE
       man ranting atop the SS and PP QRM [NK].
 780  PARAGUAY  R. Primero de Marzo (ZP70), Asunción, 23 Oct, 0836 -
       Spotted in unusually strong opening to Paraguay, telephone
       report, ads, ID at 0840; SIO 343-4 [JB].
 780  VENEZUELA  R. Coro (YVMN), Coro, 16 Oct, 0927 - Promos, ads, ID,
       and "Fiesta 7-80" promo; SIO 433 [JB].
 790  ARGENTINA  R. Mitre (LR6), Buenos Aires, 16 Oct, 0846-0857 - SS
       talk, music "Girl from Ipanema" in PP and EE, ID at 0855 as
       "Mitre, La Radio;" fair [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 2244 - Presidential election returns; very unusual to
       hear Argentina well this early, SIO 433 [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 2340 - Atop with local ads [NK].
     + 18 Oct, 0224 - Ad for Channel 14 TV, Mitre ID; SIO 444 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0116 - Fair and clear with "Radio Mitre" ID [NK].
 800  BRAZIL  R. MEC (ZYJ457), Rio de Janeiro, 18 Oct, 0014 - PP talk
       then classical music; SIO 422 [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 2304 - Huge with local ads and about 10 IDs which sound
       phonetically like "Rádio Mek-key" into a beautiful PP song [NK].
     + 22 Oct, 2324 - Mellow Brazilian pops, IDs that sounded like
       "Rádio Mecky" at 2330; SIO 343 with VOWR reduced by phasing [JB].
 800  NETHERLAND ANTILLES  TWR (PJB), Bonaire, 18 Oct, 0008 - SS
       religion, address in Atlanta; SIO 422 [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 23 Oct, 0001 - "Radio Transmundial" ID under R. MEC; SIO
       222 [JB].
 810  COLOMBIA  Caracol Colombia (HJCY), Bogotá, 23 Oct, 0905 - News,
       ads, IDs and jingles; SIO 433 [JB].
 810  PERU  Radial Andina (OAX7V), Juliaca, 23 Oct, 0907 - Briefly
       audible through Caracol with clarinet and woman with "en
       simultané...para todo el Perú...RPP;" SIO 322 [JB].
 820  COLOMBIA  Caracol Colombia (HJED), Calí, 22 Oct, 0859 - "Esta es
       Caracol" after fanfare; SIO 232 [JB].
 820.24  COLOMBIA  R. Vigía (HJAD), Cartagena, 22 Oct, 0928 - Hetting
       earlier, but decent level at this time with "Radio Vígia" ID and
       lots of saludos and time checks between LA songs, mentioned
       "Antena Todelar" at 0940; SIO 232-3 [JB].
 820  VENEZUELA  R. Guadalupana (YVXG), Coro, 22 Oct, 0909 - Generally
       dominant on this frequency with Rosary to almost 0930, then local
       ads; SIO 333-2 [JB].
 830  ST. KITTS  R. Paradise, Charlestown, 17 Oct, 0347 - Presumed; EE
       preacher; poor [JF].
 830  VENEZUELA  R. Sensación (YVLT), Caracas, 17 Oct, 0240 - "Cinco y
       Seis" horse-racing under R. Paradise; SIO 322 [JB].
 840  ARGENTINA  R. Salta (LV9), Salta, 19 Oct, 0911 - "Noticias
       deportivas," temperatures for Buenos Aires, news-program hype
       heard twice: "Este País Hoy, Primera Emisión...Radio Salta,"
       often just used "AM 8-40;" SIO 322 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0859 - Sign-on announcement, song about station, more IDs
       and hyped joint news with Mitre, news; SIO 333 [JB].
 840  BRAZIL  R. Bandeirantes (ZYK687), São Paulo, 18 Oct, 0600 - ID,
       "Jornal Bandeirantes" news; SIO 322 [JB].
 840  COLOMBIA  HJKK, Neiva, 19 Oct, 0930 - Suddenly almost alone with
       "La Buena Radio, H-J-Doble K" ID and time, another ID at 0933
       then accordion music; SIO 333 [JB].
 840  CUBA  R. Reloj, Santa Clara, 16 Oct, 0944 - SS news over clock
       ticks, ID; fair [JF].
     + 16 Oct, 0953 - Usual news, time checks, and IDs with code; SIO
       243 [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0945 - Still audible when everything else except locals
       had expired; SIO 333 [JB].
 840  PARAGUAY  R. Guaíra (ZP6), Villarica, 20 Oct, 0937 - Man with
       local announcements/ads mentioned Villarica; SIO 322 [JB].
 840  PUERTO RICO  R. Victoria (WXEW), Yabucoa, 16 Oct, 0858 - Ads, full
       SS ID into LA music program at 0900; fair [JF].
     + 16 Oct, 0859 - Emerged above other SS station (Argentina?) with
       sports news "Radio Victoria, la emisora de campeones," cock
       crows, more IDs; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 0939 - ID under Paraguay "Radio Victoria...Voz del
       Oriente;" SIO 222 [JB].
 840  UNID  19 Oct, 0927 - ID on SS station sounded like "Radio
       Telefonica...oriental...5 kilowatts de potencia...;" SIO 332
       briefly [JB].
 840  VENEZUELA  unID station, 19 Oct, 0909 - Venezuelan anthem, but
       lost around 0911, later heard old Venezuelan tunes; SIO 222 [JB].
     + R. Juventud (YVMY) may be the only Venezuelan on 840 kHz now.
       Guarapiche was supposed to move to 640 kHz.
 850  CUBA  R. Reloj, Nueva Gerona, 22 Oct, 0946 - News and "RR" Ids
       became noticeable through other SS stations, one of which was
       Carve [JB].
 850  URUGUAY  R. Carve (CX16), Montevideo, 16 Oct, 0829 - SS IDs and
       talks mixing with co-channel Boston; poor [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 0238 - Football coverage ending, ID; SIO 443 [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0320 - Atop presumed Venezuelan with ID [NK].
 870  ARGENTINA  R. Nacional (LRA1), Buenos Aires, 16 Oct, 0832-0845 -
       LA music and news items about Argentina; good [JF].
 870  VENEZUELA  R. Pueblo (YVRU), Puerto La Cruz, 16 Oct, 0904 -
       Signing on with anthems, but announcement never mentioned a
       station name/slogan; SIO 443 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0926 - Lively local music; SIO 454 [JB].
 880  PERU  R. Unión (OBZ4N), Lima, 20 Oct, 0819 - Evident with Julio
       Iglesias-type music, definite // with 6115; SIO 222-1 under R.
       Mundial and WCBS [JB].
 880  VENEZUELA  R. Mundial (YVYM), Puerto Ordaz, 20 Oct, 0817 - Ad for
       natural medicines, slow fade but up again at 0823 with ID; SIO
       332 [JB].
 890  ARGENTINA  Emisora Santiago del Estero (LV11), Santiago del
       Estero, 10 Oct, 0900 - Sign-on with prayer, lots of IDs and time
       checks; SIO 343-2 [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0905 - Great IDs, sound effects introed "Noticias..A
       Primera Hora;" SIO 343, over Colombia [JB].
 890  COLOMBIA  R. Galeón (HJPM), Santa Marta, 19 Oct, 0857 - Time as
       "cuatro en punto," IDs, saludos to many people; SIO 344 [JB].
 900  BARBADOS  CBC, Bridgetown, 10 Oct, 0222 - Program promo, music;
       SIO 333 over CJBR [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 2248 - Ad for tires, sports news; SIO 443 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 0130 -  Good with heavily accented man saying that
       something was "brought to you by the Ministry of Health" [NK].
 920  BRAZIL  R. Franca do Imperador (ZYK584), Franca, 23 Oct, 0000 -
       Surprising ID almost alone as all others faded down briefly, then
       instrumental music; PP religion heard on this frequency may have
       been them, too; SIO 242 [JB].
 920  BRAZIL  unID station, 24 Oct, 0240 - Once again we cannot ID the
       religious PP here [NK].
 920  PARAGUAY  R. Nacional (ZP1), Asunción, 18 Oct, 0134 - Good with
       "Radio Nacional del Paraguay" ID [NK].
     + 17 Oct, 0847-0858 - LA music with zither-like instrument, //
       9734, nice ID at 0849; poor-fair [JF].
     + 23 Oct, 0158 - Football play-by-play of Paraguay versus Bolivia
       with Paraguay scoring and announcers screaming joyously; SIO 433
       [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0803 - Just after sign-on with prayer, echoed ID over
       harp music, serious talks; SIO 444 [JB].
 930  BRAZIL  R. Metropolitana (ZYH646), Fortaleza, 22 Oct, 2231 -
       Horse-racing results, promo for coverage of Fortaleza's football
       team; SIO 333 with local CJYQ reduced by phasing [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 2235 - Huge at times with phased CJYQ almost inaudible
       with many "Metropolitana" IDs and a second unID Brazilian
       beneath! At times this was over local CJYQ without phasing [NK].
 940  COLOMBIA  RCN (HJTL), Cúcuta, 24 Oct, 0254 - "RCN" ID noted in
       passing; SIO 332 [JB].
 940  CUBA  R. Reloj, Central España & Mayarí, 20 Oct, 0840 - News and
       IDs; SIO 222 [JB].
 950  ARGENTINA  R. Libertad (LR3), Buenos Aires, 17 Oct, 0832-0843 - SS
       ID "LR3, Radio Libertad, Buenos Aires, Argentina," 'música
       romantica' ballads in SS, ads at 0838 including one for a show on
       Libertad and another for an establishment on Rua Presidente; good
       [JF].
 950  CUBA  R. Reloj, Sancti Spiritus, 16 Oct, 0943 - SS news over
       ticking clock and many mentions of Cuban towns; fair [JF].
 970  COLOMBIA  R. Super, Bogotá, 16 Oct, 0919 - SS ad for an
       establishment in Bogotá, ads and LA music; poor [JF].
 970  VENEZUELA  Mundial Oriental, Barcelona, 23 Oct, 0144 - Romantic SS
       music and "Mundial Oriental" ID [NK].
 980  COLOMBIA  RCN (HJES), Calí, 20 Oct, 0220 - Very strong way atop
       Brazilian QRM with "RCN" IDs during a soccer game [NK].
 990  ARGENTINA  R. 9-90 (LR4), Buenos Aires, 18 Oct, 0406 - Good with
       "Radio 9-90" ID [NK].
1000  BRAZIL  R. Pricesa Serrana (ZYI791), Timbaúba, 23 Oct, 2332 - Ad
       string, stores in Timbaúba, ID was unintelligible due to massive
       reverb, so slogan in presumed; SIO 322 [JB/NK].
1000  VENEZUELA  La Caribeña (YVNM), Morón, 18 Oct, 0025-0029 - Briefly
       atop the Brazilian pest with local ads [NK].
1010  BRAZIL  R. AM de Povo (ZYH635), Fortaleza, 23 Oct, 0757 - Over
       another Brazilian with IDs, ads, ID with call letters then
       "Jornal de Manhã;" SIO 444 at peak [JB].
1020  BRAZIL  R. CBN (ZYH247), Maceio, 17 Oct, 2249-2252 - Several "CBN"
       IDs then lost under R. Margarita [NK].
1020  BRAZIL  unID station, 22 Oct, 0605 - Over and under presumed R.
       Ñanduti (Margarita was off I think) and QRMed by a big growl; PP
       female with what sure sounds like a "Rádio Cultura" jingle; there
       are four R. Cultura's listed on this frequency [NK].
1020  PARAGUAY  R. Ñanduti (ZP14), Asunción, 18 Oct, 0448 - ID, phone
       chat; SIO 333-2 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 0555 - Still telephone chat; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 0846 - Political news, UTC-3 time checks, very nice local
       music; SIO 344 until clobbered by Venezuelan's sign-on [JB].
1020  VENEZUELA  R. Margarita (YVRS), La Asunción, 16 Oct, 0922-0928 -
       LA music, used slogan "Venezuela Primero;" good [JF].
     + 24 Oct, 0855 - Sign-on with first Venezuelan then Estado Nueva
       Esparta anthems, sign-on announcements, IDs; SIO 433 [JB].
1030  ARGENTINA  R. Del Plata (LS10), Buenos Aires, 17 Oct, 0248-0311 -
       Orchestral music ("orchestra romantica") with SS announcements,
       pips at 0300 then more music, 0303 news program "Radionoticias
       del Plata," opera program featuring "Tosca" by Puccini at 0306;
       poor [JF].
1040  DOMINICAN REP.  R. Cadena de Noticias (HION), Santo Domingo, 16
       Oct, 0927 - News read by male and female announcers, jingle ID as
       "Radio Cadena Noticias," ads at 0930 then more news at 0932; good
       [JF].
1050  MEXICO  R. Pirata (XEQOO), Cancún, 16 Oct, 0933 - Mexican music
       under WEVD, but slowly gained strength to be dominant by 0948
       with time checks, ads, and IDs; SIO 433 at 0948 [JB].
     + 16 Oct, 0951-1000 - Weak under co-channel WEVD, SS ID, EZL Latin
       ballads; poor [JF].
1050  URUGUAY  S.O.D.R.E. (CX26), Montevideo, 18 Oct, 0159 - Good with
       woman saying "Buenos Noches Montevideo" and joining into the
       Espectador Net at 0200 with "Informas Espectador" news program
       [NK].
     + 18 Oct, 0206 - SS talk and many IDs, e.g. "Radio Turistica,"
       "Radio Telefonia," and "Radio Rural," before unequivocal ID at
       0230; this sounded like a DX program; peaks to SIO 333 [JB].
1070  ARGENTINA  R. El Mundo (LR1), Buenos Aires, 10 Oct, 0400 - "10-70
       Informa" began with weather for Buenos Aires; SIO 422, QRMed
       heavily by CBA [JB].
1070  COLOMBIA  Em. Atlántico (HJAH), Barranquilla, 23 Oct, 0955 -
       Romantic SS tunes, time check, jingle ID; SIO 232 [JB].
1070  FRENCH GUIANA  RFO, Cayenne, 17 Oct, 0051 - EZL FF pop music, //
       1375 St. Pierre, but not // 640 Guadeloupe; poor [JF].
     + 22 Oct, 0330 - Atop others with 2 FF men, // 1375 [NK].
     + 22 Oct, 0331 - FF report on sailing races, // 162; SIO 322 [JB].
1090  BRAZIL  R. Rural de Natal (ZYJ592), Natal, 2100 Oct 23 -
       Tentative; gave an ID (but slogan was unreadable) which said
       "1270 kHz;" there is a Natal station on 1270...is this a
       frequency change? I suspect Natal from early fade-in of this
       eastern Brazilian [NK].
1100  ANTIGUA  ZDK, St. Johns, 17 Oct, 0856-0930 - Tentative; British-
       accented talk, EE news at 0900, local weather at 0906, short
       newsmagazine program, easy listening gospel music at 0910; fair
       [JF].
1100  BRAZIL  R. Globo (ZYK694), São Paulo, 9 Oct, 2134 - IDs, sport
       talk; SIO 343 [JB].
1110  ARGENTINA  R. Municipal (LS1), Buenos Aires, 18 Oct, 0504 - Woman
       reading numbers (maybe lottery), notices and weather, ID and
       station phone numbers; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0219 - Probably this with classical music (Buenos Aires
       Philharmonic Orchestra), no real ID at 0300, just slogan "La
       Radio de la Ciudad," then rock music program; SIO 444 [JB].
1120  ARGENTINA  R. Atlántica (LU6), Mar Del Plata, 17 Oct, 0017 -
       Sports play-by-play, local ads at 0028; SIO 343 [JB].
1130  BRAZIL  R. Nacional (ZYJ460), Rio de Janeiro, 18 Oct, 0241 - Many
       IDs, but mixing with R. Nacional de Montevideo in SS SIO 322[JB].
1130  URUGUAY  R. Nacional de Montevideo (CX30), Montevideo, 18 Oct,
       0245 - Mainly chat hosted by woman, often using only the slogan
       "La Trenta," but became very clear after the Venezuelan signed-
       off at 0401 and full ID was noted at 0403; lots of QRM earlier,
       but SIO 444 at 0403 [JB].
1130  VENEZUELA  R. Ideal (YVRL), Maiquetía, 16 Oct, 0911 - Romantic
       music, ads, ID at 0913; SIO 322, QRMed by WBBR [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0938 - Rock music, IDs and promos at 0943, "La Emisora
       del Amor;" SIO 444 [JB].
1150  ARGENTINA  unID station, 17 Oct, 0400 - News, local event in
       "Plaza de Mayo" and possible temperature in Buenos Aires, then
       program of music and phone chat (subject: mothers) hosted by a
       woman, mentioned "Frecuencia del Aire" with time checks (UTC-3),
       IDed as both "Radio Continental" and "Radio Nacional" - I'm
       confused! SIO 333 [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 0903 - Man yelling something about "el pueblo de hoy"
       then played spirited accordion music, woman host welcomed some
       guests, more bumpy accordion pieces; clobbered by FF QRM by 0915,
       SIO 333 at peak [JB].
1150  BRAZIL  R. CBN (ZYL283), Belo Horizonte, 17 Oct, 0340 - "CBN
       Madrugada" news faded up over SS religion; SIO 433 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2340 - Many "CBN" IDs atop presumed ZYK656 [NK].
     + 24 Oct, 0219 - Interviews, "CBN Madrugada" at 0233, // 860; SIO
       222 [JB].
1150  BRAZIL  R. Mundial (ZYK656), São Paulo, 22 Oct, 0457-0502 - Mostly
       atop SS and ZYL283 with IDs as "Mundial" and "Mundial, La Voz
       Amiga" [NK].
1160  ANTIGUA  Caribbean R. Lighthouse, St. John's, 22 Oct, 0100 -
       Enormous signal ending religious program with "Caribbean Radio
       Lighthouse" ID [NK].
1160  BERMUDA VSB3, Hamilton, 19 Oct, 0835-BBC WS program; SIO 222 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 1007 - BBC WS news; SIO 242 with local noise [JB].
1160  UNID  R. Unica, 19 Oct, 0835 - Perhaps a domestic station;
       slightly stronger than co-channel Bermuda, SS interviews, ID at
       0842; SIO 322 [JB].
1170  ARGENTINA  R. Mi País, Hurlingham, 21 Oct, 0356 - Noted ID in a
       jumble of SS and PP signals; SIO 222-1 [JB].
1170  COLOMBIA  Caracol Colombia (HJNW), Cartagena, 23 Oct, 0935 -
       Colombian news item, "Caracol" IDs; SIO 343 [JB].
1180.03  BRAZIL  R. Capital?, unknown location, 19 Oct, 0402 - Brazilian
       seemed to ID quite clearly as "Rádio Capital" a couple of times,
       but I have no information about a Brazilian station on 1180 kHz
       using this slogan; SIO 232 [JB].
1190  ARGENTINA  R. América (LR9), Buenos Aires, 17 Oct, 0144-0151 -
       Tango-style romantic vocal music, male announcer mentioned
       "Música Clasica," this style of programming suggested a style
       from the 1930's being broadcast from a glamorous dance lounge;
       good [JF].
     + 17 Oct, 0144 - Old-fashioned SS music then announcement of a
       classical music competition in Buenos Aires; SIO 443 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 0245 - Atop with SS man "Ahora...en América" and local
       mentions [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 0245 - Atop with "Provincia de Buenos Aires" mention[NK].
     + 23 Oct, 0040-Ads for Argentinean companies; SIO 444 briefly [JB].
1190  BRAZIL  R. CBN (ZYJ594), Natal, 23 Oct, 0042 - R. América faded
       down leaving PP news, ID; SIO 322 [JB].
1190  UNID  10 Oct, 0905 - SS with mellow romantic songs, caught bit of
       canned slogan under WLIB:"...ondas del verdad, 11-90 kiloHertz,
       la verdadera en emisión radial..."; SIO 222 [JB].
1200  VENEZUELA  R. Tiempo (YVOZ), Caracas, 17 Oct, 0922 - Time check
       for UTC-4, LA music and SS IDs; fair [JF].
     + 19 Oct, 0851 - SS religious talk, how to get spiritual help in
       Caracas; SIO 333 [JB].
1230  BRAZIL  R. CBN, location unknown, 22 Oct, 0523 and 23 Oct, 0111 -
       IDs briefly through strong ZYJ816; two possible locations, Joao
       Pessoa was IDed here with old format in a prior year [NK].
1230  BRAZIL  R. Guararema (ZYJ816), São Jose, 22 Oct, 0504-0507 -
       Unusually loud with enormous signal with many IDs and "Guararema
       de Madrugada" program  [NK].
1240  BRAZIL  R. Capibaribe (ZYI774), Recife, 17 Oct, 2110-2115 - Many
       local ads during nice sunset enhancement of eastern Brazil; huge
       signal [NK].
     + 17 Oct, 2113 - Talk about the "Copa de Pernambuco," really good
       fade up at 2126 with 2 IDs and ad string; SIO 444 [JB].
     + 17 Oct, 2114 - PP talks and IDs as Brazilian stations start to
       fade in; good [JF].
1240  VENEZUELA  R. Nacional (YVNV), Punta Tumatey, 22 Oct, 0442 - Atop
       with "Radio Nacional de Venezuela" ID [NK].
1250  ARGENTINA  AM 1250 , Rafael Castillo, 19 Oct, 0400 - Mostly atop
       the CBN Brazilian with Argentine-sounding SS man giving two "AM-
       1250" Ids then a woman and Argentine - - - - pips [NK].
1250.04  BRAZIL  R. CBN (ZYI218), Vitória, 17 Oct, 0159 - Promo for "CBN
       na Madrugada," ID and jingle; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0259 - PP news, ID; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0426 - Strong with "Jornal de CBN" program [NK].
1270  ARGENTINA  R. Provincia de Buenos Aires (LS11), Buenos Aires, 19
       Oct, 0244 - ID, Argentinean music; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0230-0233 - So strong in auroral conditions that I needed
       to phase it to hear CJCB; local mentions of La Plata and Buenos
       Aires and local BKB scores and ID [NK].
1270  BRAZIL  R. Continental (ZYJ474), Campos, 23 Oct, 2354 - Pop and
       country & western songs, many "Continental" slogans; SIO 333-2
       with QRM from SS stations and CJCB [JB].
1280  PUERTO RICO  NotiUno / R. Centro (WCMN), Arecibo, 21 Oct, 0942 -
       News and "NotiUno" ID, fading away quickly; SIO 333-2 [JB].
1290  VENEZUELA  R. Puerto Cabello (YVLF), Puerto Cabello, 19 Oct, 0243
       Several "Radio Puerto Cabello" IDs over/under Brazilian QRM [NK].
1300  VENEZUELA  1300 AM (YVKH), Caracas, 21 Oct, 0936 - Lively tunes,
       "1300 AM" ID, mention Caracas; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 0859 - Romantic music, ID as "1300 AM" between songs; SIO
       343 [JB].
     + 24 Oct, 0950 - Local music, ID; SIO 243 [JB].
1310  BRAZIL  R. Cidade Esperança (ZYI691), Esperança, 18 Oct, 2200 -
       Good with ID then "Musica, Desportes, Noticias..." but soon lost
       under another Brazilian [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 2300 - Good with "Rádio Cidade Esperança" ID [NK].
1310  MARTINIQUE  RFO, Fort de France, 19 Oct, 0230 - Fair with 2 FF
       women talking atop PP and SS QRM [NK].
     + 19 Oct, 0235 - FF talk, French-from-France accent; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0900 - "France Inter" heard then FF news and sports; SIO
       322 [JB].
1320  BRAZIL R. Regional (ZYH597), Sobral, 22 Oct, 2159 - More likely
       this is Sobral than the other R. Regional on 1320 kHz, ZYH503,
       from Cícero Dantas for no other reason than Ceará stations
       generally come in well; "Voz do Brasil" ended, "Rádio Regional"
       (but no call or location that I could discern) at 2201 over theme
       from "Once Upon a Time in the West," then music without
       announcements; SIO 222 [JB].
1320  BRAZIL  unID station, 19 Oct, 0259-0302 - Mixing with WUNO ending
       a PP religious program but no ID decipherable [NK].
     + 22 Oct, 2203 - We simply can't clearly read the ID mentioning
       "1320 kHz" and "Universitaria" after the ID [NK].
1320  PUERTO RICO  NotiUno (WUNO), San Juan, 19 Oct, 0159 - Jingle ID;
       SIO 332 [JB].
1320  UNID  21 Oct, 0340 - SS LA here with ballads atop WUNO with CKEC
       phased...some QRM from a religious PP underneath that we've also
       never IDed [NK].
1330  BRAZIL  R. Tupi (ZYK736), Osasco, 21 Oct, 0200 - This is now São
       Paulo's R. Tupi, ex 1150 kHz, with "Tupi" IDs [NK].
1330  BRAZIL  R. Eldorado (ZYJ621), Natal, 20 Oct, 2005 - "A Voz de
       Libertação" to 2059, ID, then into "A Voz do Brasil;" SIO243[JB].
1330  BRAZIL  R. Liberal (ZYI533), Belém, 18 Oct, 0235 - Loud with PP
       music, // 4775, and over another Brazilian with music; the
       Brazilian situation on 1330 was checked out extensively and
       yielded the following: often loud and dominant is R. Eldorado in
       Natal which runs religion; ZYK736 in Osasco, a São Paulo suburb,
       has taken over from 1150 as São Paulo's Tupi station as is heard
       almost as often as the religious R. Eldorado; occasionally, maybe
       5-10 % of the time, ZYI533 is in there. There may be more but we
       were unable to ID any [NK].
1340.07  BERMUDA  ZBM-2, Hamilton, 24 Oct, 0957 - Rock music, just
       before 1000 "At home, at work, or in the car, it's FM 89" then
       ABC news; SIO 343 initially, but faded away by 1004 [JB].
1340  BRAZIL  Nova São Luís AM (ZYH886), São Luís, 19 Oct, 0009 - ID
       with call including "...cobrindo todo o Maranhão, uma difusora do
       grupo Zildene Falcão" (owner's name); SIO 343. Rocco Cotroneo
       (Rio de Janeiro) phoned the station on my behalf. The address he
       was given differs from that in WRTH: Avenida dos Africanos 77,
       Areinha, São Luís, MA [JB].
     + 19 Oct, 0500 - Running what seemed to be a small network program
       as //s found later in the week on 1010 and 1570 kHz; this is a
       program of EE and PP music with phone-in's where the announcer
       asks people where they are from. I was confused at first by a São
       Paulo pizzeria ad and other ads; I think the singing ID slogan
       was "Rádio Tropical;" but Jean heard them ID earlier with a local
       São Luís ID and at another time Al had them break for an EE ID!!
       Often preceding song a couple of girls say what sounds like "Bop,
       Bop, Bop" [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 2232 - Heard in normal programming with local ads [NK].
     + 20 Oct, 2232 - Lots of ads for São Luís; SIO 343 [JB].
1340  BRAZIL  R. Planalto (ZYH661), MMaracanau, 18 Oct, 0038-0042
       Excellent, way atop with soccer promo and local ads and addresses
       [NK].
1340  VENEZUELA  R. Uno (YVNE), Caracas, 18 Oct, 2359 - Woman in SS, ID;
       SIO 232 with rising QRM from CJLS [JB].
1350  ARGENTINA  R. Buenos Aires (LS6), Buenos Aires, 22 Oct, 0057 - PP
       religion, but then switched to SS at 0058 with ID; SIO 333 [JB].
1360  BRAZIL  R. Bandeirantes (ZYJ464), Rio de Janeiro, 18 Oct, 0200 -
       ID with call, into religious program; SIO 444 [JB].  This one
       must still use the "Rádio Guanabara" slogan also, see next log!
1360  BRAZIL  R. Guanabara (ZYJ464), Rio de Janeiro, 18 Oct, 2358 -
       Noted this regular in passing with "Guanabara" ID [NK].
1370  BRAZIL  R. Atual (ZYK766), São Paulo, 20 Oct, 2322 - Up over R.
       Independência with ID; SIO 222 [JB].
1370  BRAZIL  R. Independência (ZYJ267), Curitiba, 20 Oct, 2314 - ID,
       song about the station, telephone chat; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2315 - Atop R. Atual and a 3rd Brazilian with many
       "Independencia" singing IDs and IDs and then a short song about
       the station! [NK].
1380  MEXICO  Romántica 13-80 (XECO), Mexico City, 24 Oct, 1925 -
       Tentative; not sure if this is the same station as the SS
       religion or, more likely, the schmaltzy music, but at puny level
       caught "Esta es X - E -....O" then essentially gone; SIO 131[JB].
1390  BRAZIL  R. CBN (ZYK570), Campinas 19 Oct, 0437 - "CBN" IDs, // CBN
       all-night network, over/under LR11 from Argentina and WISA
       underneath that [NK].
     + 22 Oct, 0446 - Poor-fair with "CBN" IDs, // net [NK].
1390  VENEZUELA   R. Fé y Alegría (YVZA), Caracas, 20 Oct, 0249 "Fé y
       Alegría presenta...;" SIO 222 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 0925 - "Buenos Días Caracas" many times then nice harp
       music; SIO 333 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 0933 - Program promo mentioned "Fé y Alegría" then
       Venezuelan music; SIO 333 [JB].
1400  UNID  21 Oct, 0258 - At least one LA SS here with CBG phased with
       mention of various barrios including what sounded like Barrio
       Elaymundo [NK].
1420  BRAZIL  R. Guarujá (ZYJ754), Florianópolis, 18 Oct, 2201 - "A Voz
       do Brasil" ended, ID, promo for their "Jornal Regional," IDs at
       2203; SIO 332 [JB].
1420  VENEZUELA  R. Marabina (YVNZ), Maracaibo, 21 Oct, 0932 - Talk
       about Maracaibo, ID, jingles, many "Marabina 14-20" slogans; SIO
       333 [JB].
1430  BRAZIL  R. Clube Paranaense (ZYJ200), Curitiba, 18 Oct, 0159 -
       Catholic religion, no real ID but announced a list of stations
       including this one (usual Brazilian heard here); SIO 332 [JB].
     + 20 Oct, 2354 - This regular noted in passing with a loud signal;
       phone call with many "Paraná" mentions [NK].
1430  PUERTO RICO  NotiUno / R. Tiempo (WNEL), Caguas, 21 Oct, 0914 -
       Many "NotiUno" slogans, news; SIO 344, but faded away almost
       immediately [JB].
1430  VENEZUELA  R. Bahía (YVTP), Puerto La Cruz, 21 Oct, 0917 - Program
       about medicinal plants ends, lottery numbers, time checks and
       IDs; SIO 444 [JB].
1460  BRAZIL  R. Agreste (ZYJ615), Santo Antônio, 21 Oct, 2335 - Two
       Brazilians mixing, but this one had a clear jingle and romantic
       music; SIO 333-2 [JB].
     + 23 Oct, 2232 - "Rádio Agreste" song, accordion music; SIO343[JB].
1470  PUERTO RICO  R. Cumbre (WKCK), Orocovis, 21 Oct, 0904 - Seemed
       like sign-on, many IDs, mellow vocals; SIO 333 [JB].
1470  URUGUAY  R. Cristal del Uruguay (CX147), Las Piedras, 17 Oct, 0135
       - Religious phone-in, ID just before big fade; SIO 332 [JB].
1480  BRAZIL  R. Alvorada (ZYH508), Guanambi, 18 Oct, 2301 - Way atop
       WMDD with "Rádio Alvorada" and UTC-2 time check [NK].
1500  BRAZIL  R. Montanhesa (ZYL215), Viçosa, 20 Oct, 2205 - Mixed with
       another Brazilian and R. Dos Mil with "Rádio Montanhesa" ID [NK].
     + 21 Oct, 2342 - Horoscopes, jingle ID at 2344; SIO 332 [JB].
1500  VENEZUELA  R. Dos Mil (YVRZ), Cumaná, 21 Oct, 2341 - Ads for
       stores in Cumaná, lost to Brazil moments later; SIO 332 [JB].
1520  BRAZIL  R. Salinas (ZYJ610), Macau, 20 Oct, 2229 - PP talk, "Rádio
       Salinas de Macau" ID; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 2047 - Ads "en Macau" and ID before big fade; SIO243[JB].
1530  MEXICO  unID station, 19 Oct, 0846 - "15-30, Su Música" slogan,
       anti-drugs message from Mexican government, incomprehensible
       jingle, then instrumental music; mainly under WSAI, SIO 322 [JB].
1529.58  URUGUAY  R. Independencia (CX50), Montevideo, 22 Oct, 0245 - SS
       pops, at least 3 songs without announcements between the songs,
       but then "CX50, Radio Independencia" ID at 0259 and off rather
       abruptly; SIO 342 with deep fades [JB].
     + 22 Oct, 0258 - Separable from weak 1530 stuff with ID after SS
       music, into quick sign-off and carrier cut; clear "Radio
       Independencia ... Montevideo, Uruguay;" 250 watts at night! [NK].
1540  BAHAMAS  ZNS1, Nassau, 17 Oct, 0856-0930 - Tentative; soft rock
       and gospel music, male announcer in Caribbean-accented EE; fair
       [JF].
1550  VENEZUELA  R. Metropolitana (YVMW), Los Teques, 21 Oct, 0910 - ID,
       Venezuelan music; SIO 333 [JB].
1570  BRAZIL  R. Cidade (ZYI418), Aparecida do Taboado, 21 Oct, 0003 -
       Football play-by-play, paused to say something about the
       "Rádiojornal de Aparecida do Taboado;" SIO 332 [JB].
     + 21 Oct, 2356 - PP talk, "Aparecida" mentioned and ID a minute
       later; SIO 343 [JB].
1570  BRAZIL  R. Sertão Central (ZYH621), Senador Pompeu, 17 Oct, 0220-
       0234 - PP music with strange lyrics and male announcer, ID and
       mentions of Fortaleza in a phone call from a listener, phone-in
       requests; fair [JF].
1570  BRAZIL  unID station, 21 Oct, 0532 - Same late night program as on
       1340 with girls saying "Bop..Bop..Bop" before many songs, often
       takes phone calls from listeners [NK].
1580  VENEZUELA  R. Manzanares (YVTK), Cumaná, 18 Oct, 0149 - Good over
       ZY's with "Radio Manzanares Deportes" ID [NK].
1590  BRAZIL  R. Santa Cruz AM (ZYJ614), Santa Cruz, 18 Oct, 0002-0004 -
       Huge with women with ad starting "Attencion Santa Cruz" then
       "Rádio Santa Cruz" singing ID, and a song about the station then
       it seemed to sign of [NK].
     + 18 Oct, 0003 - Ads mentioning Santa Cruz many times, jingle then
       seemed to go off at 0004; SIO 444 [JB].
1600  BRAZIL  R. Nove de Julho, São Paulo, 18 Oct, 2219 - PP religion,
       nice ID and jingle at 2232; SIO 332 [JB].
     + 18 Oct, 2230 - Great signal with "Rádio Nove do Juhlo" ID and
       more PP religious songs [NK].  Listed as a "Construction permit"
       in WRTH - it's obviously on now.
1620  ARGENTINA  R. Tropicana, Buenos Aires, 18 Oct, 0143 - Good peaks
       with SS religion [NK].
     + 19 Oct, 0029 - Presumed; religious talk in SS; SIO 252-1 [JB].

Domestic DX

 760  NY  WCHP, Champlain, 9 Oct, 2212 - Woman with sign-off
       announcement; SIO 242 [JB].
 820  NY  WNYC, New York, 16 Oct, 0955 - "Latino USA" hosted by woman
       with British accent, ID and NPR news at 1000; SIO 354 [JB].
 940  FL  WINZ, Miami, 20 Oct, 0838 - "South Florida's Talk 9-40;" SIO
       232 [JB].
1190  NY  WLIB, New York, 10 Oct, 0900 - This one is now a nuisance with
       Caribbean-accented preaching and reggae music; SIO 322 over more
       interesting signals [JB].
1380  VT  WSYB, Rutland, 21 Oct, 0200 - Legal ID; SIO 222 [JB].
1620  NE  KOIL, Bellevue, 10 Oct, 0130 - Corn Huskers vs Iowa State
       Cyclone football, Omaha ads, but ID at 0205 was "KKAR;" SIO 332
       [JB].
1620  AL  WPHG, Atmore, 10 Oct, 0430 -- Mixing with nostalgia music
       (KOIL?), ID, PSA about hurricane info Web-site; SIO 322 [JB].
1690  CO  KDDZ, Arvada, 20 Oct, 0945 - R. Disney with woman announcer
       and pop music; SIO 222 [JB].

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
The AM DX NewsFlash is sent weekly from Raytheon in Mukilteo WA
    All contributions will be used
    Comments regarding content are appreciated
 With your submission, please include as a minimum:
    Your name, location and email address
 Tell your email friends about "AM DX NewsFlash"
    To receive this email newsletter, send your email ID, name and
    location to philip_bytheway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Folks whose bulletins are returned twice in a row are dropped from the
    list.  If your email address changes, please let me know!
 Information appearing the the NewsFlash can be quoted provided the
   original author and "IRCA's AM DX NewsFlash" are given proper credit.
 Soft copies of the latest IRCA BookStore and Reprint Updater are
    available from:  philip_bytheway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
IRCA DUES STRUCTURE
   DXM-printed DX MONITOR (21x/year), SDXM-"soft" DX MONITOR (35x/year)
WORLD - SDXM $10.00
  USA - DXM $20.00,  DXM/SDXM $25.00
  Canada - DXM $22.00,  DXM/SDXM $27.00
  Overseas surface - DXM $23.50,  DXM/SDXM $28.50
  Airmail (Central America, Caribbean) - DXM $35.00,  DXM/SDXM $40.00
  Airmail (Europe, North Africa, Middle East) - $38.00,
    DXM/SDXM - $43.00
  Airmail (rest of the World) - $41.00,  DXM/SDXM $46.00

To join the IRCA, send the appropriate dues to:  IRCA HQ
                                                 PO Box 1831
                                                 Perris CA  92572-1831