[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-06 Jan 17

	DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-06, January 17, 2000
		EDITED BY GLENN HAUSER

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

CONTINENT OF MEDIA 00-01. A new edition has been produced Jan 16 and
could start as soon as Tue Jan 18 at 2000 on RFPI. And later also on
http://www.DXing.com For topic summary see
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/com0001.html

QRM to WORLD OF RADIO. Glenn-- Saturday 1/15 at 1240 I heard World of
Radio on WWCR being severely interfered by another station (Voice of
Tibet?) which dominated over WWCR at my location. Anyone in SWL-land
know what station was causing this interference? Has Voice of Tibet
gone back to 15685, just to give WWCR trouble? (Joe Hanlon in
Philadelphia)

** BOLIVIA. 5952.6, R. Pío XII, Siglo XX, 13/01 0052-0137 33333 mx f
ID "Sensacional, por Radio Pío XII, se transmite los sábados a la 7
de la noche, el px Lo bueno, lo malo y lo feo mx ID "La invitación
cordial, para que sigan en su Radio Pío XII" px en quechua. (Pedro F.
Arrunategui, Lima, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. Our colleague Samuel Cassio Martins has heard here in Sao
Carlos in the evening around 2255 a new station on 5025, IDing as FM
Vale do Xingu, Altamira PA, (ex Radio Jornal?), probably a relay of a
local FM (Marcio R. F. Bertoldi, founding member of DX Clube
Paulista, radio-escutas Jan 16 translated by Hauser, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CANADA. Hi Glenn: Catching this week's WOR last night made me
realize that I hadn't e-mailed you lately about the status of the
STARF strike. It's still going on, and there hasn't been much about
it in the news media for most of the past week. There were some
mentions at the beginning of the week, since both sides agreed to
restart negotiations, with a government-appointed mediator. That
happened on Wednesday morning...but I've heard nothing since about
how the negotiations might (or might not) be going.

The effect on RCI programming is mainly that it's more difficult to
get stuff produced, considering the lack of technicians...but things
are getting produced, and I don't believe that they've cancelled any
programming. Both Radio-Canada radio networks have had to cancel
programming, especially the "Chaîne culturelle" (equivalent of CBC
Radio Two). Mostly fill music is going on in place of the cancelled
programming, though a couple of programmes have gone into reruns
instead of going the fill music route. 73- (Bill Westenhaver, PQ, Jan
16, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Along with 11760, I have been checking RHC on //11705 for
the big bad buzz on sidebands. Jan 17 at 1223, I noticed for the
first time that 11705 also had it, tho not so bad, out to 11700 and
11710, with the usual distorted undermodulation on 11705 itself. At
this time 11760 buzz was out to 11750, 11755, 11765 and 11770.

Also, ran across R. Rebelde on 12280 = 2 x 6140 at 1235, better than
fundamental at times, which had QRM, but the harmonic had fadeouts;
talking about, what else? Elian. ``Patria o suerte, pensaremos!``
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ISRAEL. Dear friends, The change mentioned below is canceled. I
will send a new change in some time; sorry for the bother. (Moshe
Oren, BEZEQ, Jan 16)

That refers to moving to 6240 and 5830 as of Jan 17 as in DXLD 00-04,
already mentioned at least on WOR, DXPL (Hauser)

You'd also have to add back the old frequencies which the new ones
replaced. http://www.israelradio.org should be correct (Doni
Rosenzweig, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Still missing time for a Spanish

** MONGOLIA. VOM schedules broadcast recently, including on this
week`s RVI Radio World, claim English at 1200, 1500 and 2000 is on
12085, but I have my doubts. One cannot believe the admittedly
outdated VOM websites. Jan 17 at 1225 check I had some weak audio on
12015 but not on 12085. Would those in better position please confirm
which 12 MHz frequency VOM is actually using for each English
broadcast? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. Glenn, I caught the tail end of Radio Waves yesterday at
0015. It must be starting at 0005 now [UT Sun on 6055, so also 0105,
0505]. (John H. Carver Jr., Mid-North Indiana, Jan 16, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. You would never know it by looking at the WBCQ program
schedule, but American Viewpoint, Sunday 2300-2400 on 7415 is
actually made up of programs familiar to RFPI listeners: 1) Jim
Hightower commentary; 2) Counterspin; and 3) Making Contact. Jan 16
the opening with Hightower played by mistake at the closing, and
there were several minutes of dead air before Le Show started late UT
Jan 17; then at 0100 Johnny Lightning held off starting until the
recovering Harry Shearer was over (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Shortwave Program On Raleigh Station WPTF (680)

To my surprise, while scanning the AM band last night, I discovered a
show about shortwave listening in progress on Raleigh (N.C.)'s
talker, WPTF (680). http://www.wptf.com/

Turns out that it's a regular show aired on the third Monday of every
odd numbered month (which means it won't happen again until Jan.!) on
Tom Kearney's nightly  "Open Line:, 10-11 PM ET.

Tom has a regular co-presenter these nights (I didn't catch his name)
and the two talked about what they've been listening to in the two
month period since the last show.  They had air checks on catches
from Vietnam, Radio St. Helena, etc.  There was some basic info for
beginners (No. Carolina's own Grove was recommended, of course), some
talk about single side band, and tips on when to listen to programs
on Radio Australia, etc. In addition, there were several callers.

I don't recall any clubs or SW periodicals or shows like World Of
Radio mentioned, but I assume that happens other months.

Great to have run across this; I can't think of any other regular
(non internet) local show on shortwave  I've been ever able to hear
from D.C.  (Chet Copeland/Wash DC, NOVEMBER)

I had intended to mention this earlier in Jan on WOR or COM, but we
are just in time to remind you in this report, since the next edition
should be Monday evening, Jan 17 (UT Tue 0300-0400) (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KLIF, 570, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market will be changing
call letters very soon following a format revamping and extensive
changes in on-air personnel. The disappearance of the call KLIF
leaves but three radio stations of some 80 in the market to retain
their original calls. Those stations are WRR (AM on-air in 1926 but
now FM), KRLD and WBAP. 73 de (Bill Smith, W5USM 'Shortwave Since
1950', hard-core-dx, Jan 16)

** YEMEN. 9780, Radio Yemen from Sana. Just after Arabic program with
ID and a song, signature tune and NA at 1800, then ID in English as
?This is English service of the Republic of Yemen radio broadcasting
from Sana``, then continued with ``we broadcast twice daily`` and
time and freq of MW, FM and SW 9780 given, then short Instrumental
music, and followed by news summary, then an English song and ID in
between the song, then press review and news bulletin until 1830,
then at that moment VOA (in French) sign-on and Yemen became
inaudible until 2000 when VOA went off. Fair/good at 1800 but much
better after 2000 (Mahendra Vaghjee, Mauritius, Jan 13, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)                                                  ###    ###