[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-07 Jan 18

	DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-07, January 18, 2000
		EDITED BY GLENN HAUSER

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

** ALASKA. 7365; Is all well at KNLS? This station always provides
perfect reception here in the Pacific Northwest, but at 1317 heard
with a very feeble signal in English with a religous program. Sure
didn't sound like 100 kW, even considering propagation. (Volodya
Salmaniw, 15 January, Victoria BC, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Well, at 1340 check Jan 18, 7365 had its usual fair to good level
here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. This is CTV. You will not be funny
http://www.nationalpost.com/network.asp?f=000118/180108 From the
National Post today (via Ivan Grishin, Jan 18, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COSTA RICA. I often wonder whether RFPI`s 15049 is really on the
air until 0600 as scheduled; UT Jan 18 finally faded out around 0430,
tho it had been fading down for quite some time before. We long for a
lowpower 7 or 9 MHz SSB channel as backup when 6975 fails. Joe
Bernard reports that its antenna had some more problems with wind;
James Latham and crew were working on fixing it Monday but still not
back on UT Tuesday. When 6975 is back, 15049`s extended schedule
before 2100 will probably cease (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** IRAQ/CZECH REPUBLIC. The following item appeared on Radio Prague's
English news, January 17:

Iraq is reportedly refusing to sign trade deals with the Czech
Republic in protest at broadcasts to the country by Radio Free
Europe, which is based in Prague. The AFP news agency said an
official Czech delegation left Iraq empty-handed on Sunday after two
weeks of fruitless negotiations. One member of the delegation was
quoted by the ITAR-TASS news agency as saying that Iraq was refusing
to sign a single contract as long as Radio Free Europe, which is
funded by the US government, continued to operate from the Czech
Republic. The delegation had hoped to sign contracts with Iraq under
the "oil for food" programme.

(Roger Tidy, England, Jan 17, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Gee, why doesn`t Iraq penalize Germany, Greece, and UKOGBANI,
transmitter site countries for this, or is that concept too
sophisticated for Saddam? Here is the R. Free Iraq schedule, actually
considered a R. Liberty service, posted as of Jan 18, all effective
Oct 31 to March 25, in Arabic; number after site abbr is the
transmitter number at the site.

RL RLIQ 0200 0400 LAM 04  9555 108
RL RLIQ 0200 0400 KAV 07  7175 104
RL RLIQ 0200 0300 KAV 03  7105 105
RL RLIQ 0200 0400 KAV 09  5965 108
RL RLIQ 0300 0400 KAV 03  7110 105

RL RLIQ 0600 0700 KAV 10 17740 095
RL RLIQ 0600 0700 KAV 06 15400 095
RL RLIQ 0600 0700 KAV 09 11965 108
RL RLIQ 0600 0700 KAV 07  9435 104

RL RLIQ 1400 1500 WOF 07 11805 114
RL RLIQ 1400 1500 LAM 04 11780 104
RL RLIQ 1400 1700 WOF 09  9685 090
RL RLIQ 1400 1700 KAV 09  6130 108
RL RLIQ 1500 1700 LAM 04 11965 104
RL RLIQ 1500 1700 WOF 07 11835 114
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MONGOLIA. 9720 at 2000 had EE but not // 12085.3 (sounded similar
but went off 2010, - not sure who this is - wasn't English) 12015 has
no trace of even a carrier. I will check earlier times when I can
(Don Moman, Alberta, Jan 17, hard-core-dx via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Your station on 12085 was probably Syria which also occupies that
freq.; they usually start their various language programming at 5 to
10 minutes after the hour.

As one who listens (or tries to) to Mongolia on a regular basis, I
usually can't get them at all between early November and late
February due to propagation-usually the best times to get their
broadcasts in the 1000-1300 time frame here in New England is early
March and early October. I *will* check them in the morning hours
here and let you know what I can hear. (Craig Seufert, Meredith, NH
USA, Drake R8B, AlphaDelta Sloper, hard-core-dx via DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Don, I think I sorted this one out. Last Saturday I was listening
around the same time. No Monglolia, but good enough audio to say this
was Arabic, and most likely Damascus, Syria. The times and frequency
coincide. (Walt Salmaniw, BC, hard-core-dx via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Hi Glenn: While in the Adirondacks in November noted that the Voice
of Mongolia had changed its frequency for English language broadcasts
at 12:00 from 12.015 back to 12.085. The signal was not as good and
there was more interference. I understand that they also use 9.720
for their afternoon broadcasts to Europe. I live in New York City and
don't stand a chance of hearing them here and I don't know when I'll
get a chance to get out of town and try them again. Their website is
worthless. They have been claiming to have real audio coming soon for
the last year or so, though do not another broadcaster from Ulan
Bator broadcasting on the web in Mongolian. Thank you for your
excellent columns and follow them daily. Best Regards, (Tom Sliva,
NYC, Jan 17, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Thanks for everybody`s input on this, but more is needed. Better get
VOM while you can; a few weeks ago columnist Jack Anderson predicted
that in a few years China would take over Mongolia since it is 1) easy
pickings, no longer under protexion of the Soviet sphere; and 2) in
retribution for previous Mongolian control of China; and also Myanmar
to give China an outlet to the Indian Ocean (Glenn Hauser,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN. RADIO SWEDEN - Saturday January 15 saw the addition of a
new language to the Radio Sweden family, Waberi Radio, our new
service in Somali. But you're not going to be able to hear it on any
of our shortwave or satellite relays. Swedish Radio's Immigrant
Languages Department has merged with Radio Sweden, so besides our six
international languages: English, Swedish, German, Russian, Estonian,
and Latvian, we also are responsible for programming in nine other
languages, broadcast domestically for immigrants in this country.
These change as the international situation changes, and January 10th
saw the end of broadcasts here in Greek, and the addition of Somali.
The programs are on the air once a week on our own P6 FM transmitter
here in Stockholm, and around the country on the FM P2 network, and
as part of the DAB Digital Radio stream. And of course, like all 15
Radio Sweden languages, Waberi Radio is available on the Internet in
RealAudio: http://www.sr.se/rs/min/sounds/somali.ram

Webcasting has added a whole new dimension for us. For example,
although Radio Sweden's own programs in Spanish were cancelled some
years ago, we've suddenly discovered that we have an audience abroad
for the Immigrant programs intended for Latin Americans living here.
And during the Kosovo war, we had a considerable foreign audience for
our Immigrant programs in Albanian. You can find broadcasts in all 15
Radio Sweden languages at: http://www.sr.se/rs/listen
(SCDX/MediaScan Jan 18 via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K O G B A N I. I believe I mentioned this briefly in December,
but should make a bigger point of a current BBC WS series, Essential
Guide to the XXI Century. This has a new half-hour programme five
days a week through February, with a different subject each week, so
there is considerable depth. This week: Family, Sex and Society,
specifically: Tue, Meeting and Mating; Wed, Sex and Procreation; Thu,
Gender-roles and Identity; Fri, The Family.

AE stream times are M-F 1830 (on 17840), Tue-Sat 0230 (12095, 6175,
6135, 5975); Af M-F 1930; As M-F 1130-E, 1530-S.

Upcoming weeks` topics: Jan 24, Habitation; Jan 31, Work, Leisure and
Lifestyle... Info from BBC On Air via Chris Hambly (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Larry King is hard to find on the radio any more, tho his
live hour on CNN TV UT Tue-Sat 0200-0300 is supposed to be on
Westwood One, but I have found him now on WMAQ 670 Chicago during the
repeat at 0500-0600. Seems to forget his radio roots, or that he is
still on radio as he says ``Here you see...`` somebody`s book (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. [Re: WPTF SW show Monday night, DXLD 00-06] I was able to
catch parts of the show here in Tampa, a bit of a challenge since we
have a local on 680. Hrd call-in from a lady, discuss apartment based
listening, BBC freqs, mention of Larry Magne's PWBR publication, was
best around 2220-2230 EST here. What I hrd (signal was not there all
the time due fading and shifting tight null on WRMD) sounded like a
nice general interest show, not overly technical. I'll bet this
format could work in a lot of markets, hopefully more often than once
every 8 weeks. (Bob Foxworth, Tampa FL, NRC-AM via DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. [Re: KLIF upcoming call change, DXLD 00-06] I thought US
stations had to give call letter ID on the hour. I haven't heard them
once this morning (!) other than "The Big 570." Isn't that a big no-
no? 73 de (Bill Smith, W5USM, Jan 17, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA. Thais Silva de White (Mrs. Jeff White of WRMI) laments
that Venezuelans abroad have little SW contact with the homeland, in
the wake of the tremendous flooding and mudslide tragedy which killed
and made thousands homeless. Since Radio Nacional de Venezuela cannot
be heard outside the country, she proposes that her application for a
Radio San Juan Internacional finally be granted a SW construction
permit, to operate from San Juan de los Cayos in Falcon State (Letter
to La Razon, Jan 6, via Banda Tropical, Club Diexistas de la Amistad,
translated and summarized by Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn -- Everything you said is correct. I can add that a 60-meter
band frequency was authorized to the station about a year and a half
ago; only the construction permit is needed now. It will be a
relatively low-powered station. There is absolutely no connection
whatsoever with Radio Miami International. The Club Diexistas de la
Amistad (of which Thais and I are members) has been asked for its
assistance with certain aspects of the project, and has been offered
airtime for DX programs and other types of collaboration. Beyond
that, Thais really doesn't want to go into many details at the
moment, as the process with the government bureaucracy is at a rather
delicate stage right now. Things move slowly down there. If and when
something happens, you'll hear it from us or the CDXA. All the best.
(Jeff White, FL, DX LISTENING DIGEST)      ###