[HCDX]: Coup d'etat attempt in Ecuador.

There's a coup d'etat attempt in Ecuador. It started
at the verry early hours (local time) of today jan
21st 2000. It started when the high representants of
the CONAIE (spanish abbreviation for the Indigenous
National Confederation of Ecuador), and some second
class members of the ecuadorian Army (colonels,
lieutenants, etc.), took over the National Congress
and tried to establish a façade goverment.
I am checking out the Ecuavisa tv network (actually
with all over info from Quito and Guayaquil) thru my
cable system.

Sequence of events follows:

1930 UT I just came from university. I came to know
about the coup after i watched a breaking news service
from a local, peruvian network. Then switched to
Ecuavisa and getting info from it.

2030 UT Ecuador president Jamil Mahuad gives speech.
For me, one of the most intelligent speech ever given
by a latin american president. He said he wouldn't
give up the office and he wouldn't accept the
proposition made by the Army to give up office.
Checked thru Ecuavisa.

2045 UT Sppech finishes.

2050 UT Checked HCJB at 15120 approx., lower than
usual. YL announcer reading info from international
services (EFE, AP, UPI, etc). Even read a US State
Department document, a reaction of the US about the
situation in Ecuador. SINPO 33433 (much weaker than
the S-4/5 received here in Lima).

Well, i have to go back to the university (how
terrible!!!) Later will check tropical bands. Maybe
the CONAIE is running a clandestine station.

Greetings from Peru.
Moises