[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-14 Jan 25

	DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-14, January 25, 2000
		EDITED BY GLENN HAUSER

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

** ANGUILLA. The horrible spikes from Dr Gene Scott, 11775, come and
go. They were absent on Sat and Sun Jan 22-23, but back on Mon Jan 24
at 1220 check, in fact audible as far up as 12160! Much lower level
at 1539 recheck, still bothering frequencies like 11795. Around 1250
Jan 25 it was OK. This is not the first time we have reported on this
abomination; see Dec 6 report in GH?s SW/DX Report 99-68 (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Besides the tropical band music I hear around sunset
through the fading and static, giving it almost a psychedelic touch,
or should I say New (short) Wave sound, my two favorite music
programs on shortwave happen weekends on RCI. The Global Village,
very well produced, Sunday UTC at 0 can be heard on 5960 and 9755.
For nearly an hour one can travel to different lands through music.
Similarly, again after the news about 00 UTC Monday, Roots and Wings
is an eclectic experience, less polished, but equally entertaining
when I must do boring chores such as finish dinner or wash dishes.
Exotic listening one can enjoy with even a portable. (Donna Ring,
swprograms Jan 23 via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. OUTFRONT: Tonight on OutFront..."Phreaks of Nature." Many
years ago, when computers were young, Jeff Miles got involved in
'phone phreaking' with his Commodore 64 computer. Then he noticed two
men in trench coats waiting outside his door. Hear his scary tale on
OutFront, tonight at 8:45 (9:15 NT) on CBC Radio One. [Tuesday Jan
25, UT Wed] (CBC Hotsheet via Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COSTA RICA. RFPI`s temporary 24-hour usage of all frequencies,
probably for convenience while the staff were tied up with annual
Board of Advisors meeting, is now over; 6975 was missing Sunday
evening, UT Mon Jan 24, as well as before sunrise the following
morning, nor was 15049 on, but 25930-USB suddenly faded up at 1302
after having heard a few bits of audio starting 5 minutes earlier.
15049 came up at *2055, and 6975 was back on the following evening
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Heard Arnie Coro saying RHC would be moving its website due
to problems with the current one. If you have ever wondered how RHC
manages to operate on the internet, read this enlightening report
from its American accomplices: (gh)

http://www.blythe.org/nytransfer-subs/rhcupdate.html

(via Mike Cooper, Jan 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO[?]. Glenn, heard the following tonight: Mexico, unID, 1/24
0043 to 0113* 6950 USB Spanish broadcast with mentions of Zapatistas,
Chiapas, libertad, appeals to the Prez. of Mexico, repeated from
*0115 to 0145* on 6955 USB. Both typical pirate freq. Booming into
western KY. Probable relay by a pirate? Wish I had Spanish in high
school, not French. (Charles Crawford, Henderson KY, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** NIGERIA. Radio Nigeria reception has been improving (peaks in Feb
for the strongest signals of the year...for my area anyway) on 4770
about 0500 UT. Noticed a new "Interval Signal Tune" being used at the
top of the hour. At least this is the first time I have noticed this.
(David Zantow, Janesville WI, Jan 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Glenn, I don`t know if you know or not but KCYI 97.9
[Edmond OK, OKC market] is changing format at present and when I
tuned in at around 1 pm Jan 24 they are running a computer generated
countdown. According to computer, changes are to be complete this
Thursday morning at 6 am. Web site http://www.thecity979.com --when
you go to the web site they refer you to local number 405-858-6170.
Thanks, Glenn, as a former DJ and as a radio buff I think they are
going jamming oldies as many other markets have done. Later and keep
up the great work as always.

Later: Glenn, as of 10 pm central time KCYI is playing classic rock
in between computer generated announcements. no jocks at all, AC DC,
Little Feat and other classics are being played. I don`t know if you
can get this on your radio; they are only 6,000 watts. I`ll keep you
updated (Bill Eckart, OK, Jan 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Tuned in after local midnight early Jan 25, and there was no music,
just the computer countdown interspersed with various clever remarks,
such as ``Mary Fallin, what a gal`` (OK?s Lt. Gov). The times were
all precisely coordinated to a zero-hour of 6:45 am CT Thursday Jan
27. Reception here is marginal, with the low power and co-channel
Wichita; I actually got it better on a portable than with the rooftop
antenna (Glenn Hauser, Enid, Jan 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PERU. 4862.55, Unidentified, Ayacucho? 1007-1048, Andean vocals
and announcer in Spanish and Vernacular with UTC -5 time checks after
every song. No ID's heard. 1014 ad for apparent upcoming concert by
female singer in Ayacucho, "Muy pronto en esta ciudad el primer
espectaculo de este nuevo milenio...con el...Ayacucho...Susan...Muy
pronto en nuestra ciudad.". 1031 possible ID with mention of
"...FM...". Battered by sign-on hets first from 4865 at 1016, then
4860 at 1028, finally 1042 R Verdes Florestas sign on 4865 blew it
away. Good clear signal at first, fading slightly at 1015 (Mark
Mohrmann, VT, Jan 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SLOVAKIA. 5930 // 9440, Radio Slovakia Int'l, English to North
America at 0100-0130. 5930 Suffers from moderate interference on
5935, 9440 had bad interference, and 7300 was totally blocked by
intereference. (Lee Silvi, OH, January 17, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K O G B A N I [and non?] The first stage of implementing Earth
One will be the launch of a pilot station broadcasting in Europe, the
Middle East, North Africa, and East Coast of the United States. The
initial broadcast service will be the starting point for the
implementation of a humanitarian global radio service. It will
broadcast simultaneously ('simulcast') on the Internet. The aim is to
have Earth One on air early 2000. Earth One aims to have the
following operation: 24 hour broadcasting service based on 8-12 hours
of repeated programming in the English Language. (During the trial
period Earth One will offer a maximum of 8 hours programming a week,
gradually building up to a fully-fledged service as resources become
available).

Digital production equipment, ready for future digital broadcasting
and with seamless integration with the Internet. A production office
based in the UK; further production offices will be opened on each
continent as the operation progresses. Earth One will build a
reputation as a broadcaster that is relevant, authoritative and
entertaining; one that is a natural choice for listeners who care
about the planet and its people - and want to know more. In this way,
Earth One has the unique opportunity to promote itself as 'world
radio' as it can represent the wishes of the global community.

For further information on Earth One please see GVN's website at:
http://www.gvn.co.uk For details on programming, advertising and
sponsorship, please contact GVN: GVN Ltd Elstree Film Studios
Borehamwood Herts WD6 1JG United Kingdom Tel: 44 020 8324 2701 Fax:
44 020 8324 2700 E-mail: earth.one@xxxxxxxxx Web:
http://www.gvn.co.uk

For transmission details, please contact Merlin Communications
International Ltd at: Richard Hurd Merlin Communications
International Ltd 20 Lincoln's Inn Fields London, WC2A 3ES United
Kingdom Tel: 44 020 7969 0000 Fax: 44 020 7396 6223 E-mail:
richard.hurd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Website:
http://www.merlincommunications.com
[ http://www.gvn.co.uk/earth1/pilot.htm ] Seemingly this week`s
'Media Network' is expected to carry a report on this new service.
(Ray Woodward, British DX Club via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Berkeley Liberation Radio, 104.1 FM, is now announcing the
phone number of 510-665-4852 on the air. I called and was told they
use 40 watts and are located on the western end of Ashby Street near
Interstate 80. I was also told there is a similar station, San
Francisco Liberation Radio, on 93.7 with 40 watts from the Richmond
district of SF. If this station is on the air, it doesn't make it
across the water to the East Bay. I asked Berkeley Liberation Radio
if they planned to become legit through the FCC's new micropower FM
plan and they were vague about their future. Given that these guys
are such anarchists, I'll bet anything they elect to continue as
outlaws. (Harry Helms, Alameda, CA, Jan 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Here`s an organization in the Boston area promoting LPFM;
also has a link to Radio Free Alston, busted pirate. The Citizens's
Media Corp. Web site is http://www.citizensmedia.org (Clea Simon,
Boston Globe via Artie Bigley, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. From HRO web Site: BREAKING NEWS HEADLINES Early Sunday
morning, January 23rd, 2000 a major fire raged through the shopping
center where the Anaheim, Ca. Ham Radio Outlet store was located. The
fire, which originated in a neighboring store, resulted in the
complete loss of the HRO Anaheim location. For the next two weeks the
800 line and the local phone number for Anaheim, CA will be
redirected to the Burbank, Ca. store. Personnel from Anaheim will
relocate to the Burbank store temporarily. While arrangements have
been made to re-open as soon as possible, the specific schedule is
unknown at this time. Rest assured however, that HRO Anaheim will be
up and running just as quickly as humanly possible. [Stewart
MacKenzie reported on this earlier on rec.radio.shortwave] (via David
Zantow, Jan 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** YEMEN. (presumed), 9780, Radio Yemen, broadcast in Arabic good
into Ohio once interference signed off at 2100 until Yemen signed off
at 2211 after presumed anthem. Many, many songs were played after
what sounded like a call-in program at 2100-2115 (Lee Silvi, OH,
January 23, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UNIDENTIFIED. Spot checking for WBCQ-2 9340 on a memory, heard SSB
to the side, which proved to be on 9337 USB at 1245 Jan 24, 2-way
conversation about something measured in ``kilos`` -- what could that
be? Makes as much sense as calling Megahertz ``megs`` as both are
really nothing but multiplier prefixes. When I think I speak Spanish,
all it takes is trying to decipher an informal conversation on the
radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

PRECISION FREQUENCY MEASUREMENT
Thanks for your talk about "Radio" displays "SIGNIFICANT DIGITS, AND
MEASURING FREQUENCIES ON THE ATS-909" in DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-11. I
had a bit of a time reaching the last 20~30 Hz with my NRD-545, when
even installing the High Stability Xtal unit (option at about
$100). You would think that would be dead on after installing it.
Nope... More info about this on one of my web pages.
(http://www.ticon.net/~davez/nrd545.html). Regards, David Zantow
Janesville, WI, Jan 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)            ###