[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-15 Jan 26

	DX LISTENING DIGEST, 00-15, January 26, 2000
		EDITED BY GLENN HAUSER

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1021: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1021.html

** ANGUILLA. Don`t blame Dr Gene Scott personally for technical
problems. He is not an engineer and has people working for him to
take care of them. Caribbean Beacon has been advised of the spikes
from 11775, and to keep modulation down to some 70 percent until a
new processor with 4.5 kHz bandwidth can be installed, perhaps within
30 days. Part of the problem may be widely varying input levels in
the satellite uplink, and hence downlink (George McClintock, TN, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Hello, Here's what we're working on for this week`s show...
Meet Richard Taylor - the man who found the quark. Taylor is a
Canadian scientist from Alberta who was the first person to
demonstrate the existence of quarks .... sub-atomic particles that
are the basic building blocks of everything in the universe. He won
the Nobel Prize in 1990 for his work - which proved that the name of
our program wasn't just a hypothetical whimsy. Plus - we'll find out
why MSG tastes so good. All that and more on Quirks and Quarks,
Saturday, right after the noon news, on Radio One. (Bob, Quirks and
Quarks, Jan 26) That`s Sat 2205 and Sun 1305 on RCI (DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC (not!). 5900, Tantalizing signal at 0340
tune-in. Music sounded African initially, and I was sure I had Radio
Minurca. Talk seemed to be in French. Very weak. Mission Impossible
theme music at 0354:30, but as I listened more, it began to sound
like a DX program... It was! This was Bulgaria's Russian service,
with a DX program. References to WWCR and WBCQ. Into IS at 0359, and
Radio Bulgaria ID at the top of the hour in unknown language. Drats!

(Volodya Salmaniw, BC, 23 January, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COLOMBIA/CLANDESTINA: 6240, Enero 19 Voz de la Resistencia, +2058-
2115*, 343, con historia del plan del Tolima. ID "Voz de la
Resistencia, Voz insurgente del pueblo colombiano. cerrando a las
2115 con usual "Compan~eros de la FARC. 6261.v Enero 19 Voz de la
Resistencia-Bloque Oriental (FARC-EP), 1150-1155. 343, con programa
politico, 6261.v Enero 19 Voz de la Resistencia-Bloque Oriental
(FARC-EP), 2138-2140, 343, con Notienfoque. (Yimber Gaviria, Cali,
Colombia, Jan 26, DX LISTENING DIGEST))

** CUBA. RHC finally got my message about referring to AM as FM in
their French opening announcements: Jan 25 at 2131 on 13660-USB
(13750 being dominated by DGS) she now refers to 13750 as
``modulation normale`` -- does not the word ``Amplitude`` exist in
French or is that too technical for the presumed audience level?
Surely no more so than ``bande laterale unique`` on 13660 (Glenn
Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INTERNATIONAL WATERS. Bandscanning toward Miskut just in case it
be back, Jan 26 at 1250 found USB ragchew on 5772 between two fishing
skippers in the eastern Gulf of Mexico. Salty language, re weather
broadcasts, what to fix for breakfast, bait, engine temperatures and
problems. Never heard any legal ID, and barely caught the name of one
of them, Rick; instead of ``over`` would say ``come back``. Finally
finished at 1311* until another QSO at lunchtime. Since this is not a
marine band, and no legal IDs, may I safely assume these are illegal?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KASHMIR [non]. Voice of Free Jammu & Kashmir is currently
regularly heard in Europe opening at 0230 on 5988.6 kHz, but beware
of Radio Liberty in Uzbek splashing over from 5985 kHz at this time.
You can hear a recording of this on the Interval Signals Archive, at
http://home.clara.net/dkernick (David Kernick, Jan 26, hard-core-dx
via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. KCYI 97.9 [cf DXLD 00-14] What I've heard from the folks
at Clear Channel is that KCYI will be going CHR to go head to head
with KJ-103 (KJYO 102.7). I have a couple .wav files of the countdown
if anyone wants to hear them (John Zondlo Yukon, OK, Jan 25,
amfmtvdx) FM DX Web http://members.aol.com/fmdxweb (via DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** PERU. 4862.55, Radio La Hora 0957, is the unID from yesterday, up
slightly from nominal 4855 with 0957 sign-on into typical Andean
music program with time checks, and this time ID's. Very good signal.
(Mark Mohrmann, VT, Jan 26, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. Voice of Russia has just extended its Farsi program from
60 to 90 minutes: 1530-1700 UTC on 9840 (St. Petersburg, 400 kW, 147
degrees) //Samara 5925 and 5935. Additional Voice of Russia frequency
for Russian service: 12030 1600-1700 UTC (St. Petersburg, 400 kW, 147
degrees). All from Jan 24th. (Mikhail Timofeyev, St. Petersburg, Jan
26, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. Radiostantsiya Tikhiy Okean (Radio Pacific Ocean), main
studio Vladivostok, is a service for Russian seafarers in the Pacific.
This schedule is based on monitoring observations. Tikhiy Okean
broadcasts may also be relayed via domestic-service transmitters at
Khabarovsk, Magadan and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. Language: Russian, Daily:
0130-0215 21.750
0815-0900 0.234 0.810 7.175 7.210 7.490 10.344-usb 12.045 17.675
          71.85
1215-1300 0.810
1900-1945 0.648 7.345 9.885 9.900
(© BBC Monitoring via WORLD OF RADIO 1021, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOMALIA. Aydid radio suffers further problems, expected back on
the air "soon" -- Text of report by Somali newspaper 'Ayaamaha' on
25th January? The Voice of the People of the Somali Republic radio is
expected to be back on the air soon. The radio, which supports Husayn
Muhammad Aydid, one of the armed Mogadishu faction leaders, is off
the air [see below] and Aydid has been busy rehabilitating and
equipping the radio for the past few months. The radio is expected to
operate on shortwave and FM. Husayn Muhammad Aydid has issued a
circular appointing Mr Abd al-Qadir Dahir Abdi (Hudhayfi) as the new
director-general of the radio. It is hoped that the radio will soon
be on the air. Aydid recently imported a new FM radio transmitter
from the United Arab Emirates and an Italian engineer was flown to
Mogadishu to set up the new equipment. Husayn Aydid also said in his
circular that the staff of the radio would receive regular salaries
and allowances. Currently there are two radio stations on the air in
Mogadishu: Voice of Somali Pacification, which backs Uthman Hasan Ali
Ato; and HornAfrik [a new FM station said to be independent and owned
by Somali individuals who live in the USA and Europe]. Meanwhile,
Husayn Haji Bod is also making efforts to have his own radio in
Mogadishu. [Voice of the People of the Somali Republic was observed
back on the air on 16th January, having been unheard since July 1999.
However, this reappearance was short-lived and the station has not
been heard for several days.] (Source: 'Ayaamaha', Mogadishu, in
Somali 25 Jan 00 p 2 via BBC Monitoring, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Listened to the apparent debut of ``On Being Human`` as
mentioned on AWWW, Tue Jan 25 at 2230-2300 on WBCQ 7415. Very
informal man and woman talking into a built-in tape recorder mike,
the external purchased from Radio Shack not working. I gather these
are two former professors, who quit teaching three years ago and are
now psychotherapists. They have a website http://www.onbeinghuman.com
which explains all this further. They beg for response, and if the
program proves popular may expand to an hour. Mentioned contacts on
air as: 631-654-5622, area code in process of changing from 516.
onbeinghuman@xxxxxxx but the website gives 631-654-3581 and
whatever10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx plus P O Box 3328, Patchogue, NY 11772. Will
be getting a toll-free number.

They have a book, not available at Borders, and being sold themselves
(for $19.95), ``Eat or Be Eaten --- The Marriage of Darwin and
Machiavelli. Also tapes and brochures. Gave their names at the end,
but semi-mumbled, so from website they are, both Ph.D.: James Gibson,
and Patricia Bravata-Brozinsky.

They spell Mach`s first name as Nicole rather than Niccolo.
``Gutenberg discovered the printing press.`` - well, there is quite a
difference between discovery and invention!

Gist of what this is all about: We have spent the last bimillennium
denying our animal instinctual nature. We are evolutionary animals,
using deception and aggression to survive. We are now in an age of
intuition. Linearity(?) thinking is now a thing of the past. This is
for a return to instinctuality.

Quoted from their home page: ``As you go the way of life, you will
see a great chasm. JUMP. It is not as wide as you think. Welcome to
the Third Millennium.`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Glenn, You mentioned the excellent "Tech Nation" with Moira
Gunn in the DXLD dated Jan. 22. You listened to it on AFN. T.N.. can
be heard on demand in True Speech (?) at an IBM website: For the most
recent show (and some backgound about the show)
http://www.ibm.com/industrytalk/technation/ Additional shows are at:
http://www.ibm.com/industrytalk/technation/previous.phtml T.N. is not
distributed by NPR, but made available to NPR stations. It originates
out of KQED in San Francisco. It can be heard 'live' on the web via
KACU, Abilene, TX at 12 noon CT (18 UT), Sundays http://www.kacu.org/
http://www.kacu.org/schedule/enddayschedule.html And via WHYY,
Philly, Tues. at 10 PM ET (Wed 3 UT), http://www.whyy.org/
http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html WHYY usually posts a paragraph
about the show in its 'daily hot sheet' which gets posted the night
before--great place to see what's on other NPR shows (as well as
Charlie Rose!) each day!: http://www.whyy.org/91FM/91fmtoday.html
(Chet Copeland, DC, Jan 26, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. An Alabama SW station is being heard worldwide in the
daytime on its second harmonic, 23750, along with others from 25m in
the 23.4 to 24.1 MHz range (Arnie Coro, RHC DXers Unlimited Jan 26)
Hmm, checking all the Alabama stations on 11875, I suspect it is
WEWN. Ever notice how Arnie does not like to get too specific? This
is the closest he comes to a genuine DX tip, something he derides on
other DX shows. I do not doubt such a harmonic, but I am too close
and would suspect receiver-production if heard, from overloading
blaster on fundamental (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KAIJ will soon be moving to another 50+ mb frequency at
night, 5755 authorized by FCC, in an effort to find one that works
better than 5835 (George McClintock, TN) Still on 5835 UT Jan 27
(Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 9515, Enero 15 [Sat] VOA, 2325-2329, 444, mini programa DX
con Hector Velazquez Mejia (La VOA aumento de 10 minutos a 30 minutos
en Internet desde el 3 de Enero). (Yimber Gaviria, Cali, Colombia,
Jan 26, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** YEMEN. Following up on Lee Silvi`s tip in DXLD 00-13, checked 9780
(no het heard, but did not measure to see if offset as previously
reported), Jan 25 2130 indeed with lots of Arab music but I was
concentrating on Marion`s Attic 2365 kHz below; 2200 ID mentioned
Yemen, news, 2205 or so Qur`an, 2208 brief anthem and off 2209* Are
they running later than before? Quite nice reception. The Time
Almanac 2000 I just purchased, says Yemen is not an Islamic state,
tho the tourist-kidnapping rebels last year had that as their
objective. But I`ll bet you won`t hear readings from the Bible,
Torah, or O`Hair on this station where they obviously do not
appreciate the benefits of separation of church and state (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UNIDENTIFIED. [Re: 9337] Sounds like drug dealers to me, arranging
a drop. Possibly one in Colombia and the other in Bahamas or
whatever... kilos are units of quantity of course. Time of day seems
valid, also. I've heard a couple of these guys in past years
73 (Bob Foxworth, FL, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

THIS DAY`S ITALIAN LESSON

Perhaps you have the capability of listening to digital audio files
like .wav, .aiff, or .au file formats with your PC and web browser,
Glenn. If you do, go to this web page,

 http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/italian.html

and put in "Quaglieri, Figliozzi, Padula.", select the file format
that works with your web browser and PC configuration (.AIF, .WAV,
or .AU) and hit the "Synthesize" button.

You should hear a completely mechanical, by-the-book Italian
pronunciation.

WAV
http://wwwtts.research.bell-labs.com/cgi-user/tts/ittts?text=Quaglieri%2C+Figliozzi%2C+Padula.&rate=slowest&audio=.wav

AIFF
http://wwwtts.research.bell-labs.com/cgi-user/tts/ittts?text=Quaglieri%2C+Figliozzi%2C+Padula.&rate=slowest&audio=.aiff

I thought it was an amusing side-bar to the war about words. (Pietro
Costello, Gen 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Grazie, Pietro, I`m LOL and ROTF (Hauser, DXLD)

PROPAGATION OUTLOOK FROM RSGB
And now the solar forecast. This week the quieter side of the sun
will be facing us. Solar activity should be low, but could increase
to moderate next weekend with solar flux levels gradually increasing
to around 170.

Geomagnetic activity is expected to be 'unsettled' but could reduce
to 'quiet' towards next weekend. MUFs during daylight hours at equal
latitudes are expected to be about 33 MHz for the south and 30 MHz
for the north. The darkness hour lows should be around 7 MHz. Paths
this week to Japan should have a maximum usable frequency, with a 50
per cent success rate, of about 29 MHz. The optimum working
frequency, with a 90 per cent success rate, will be around 23 MHz.
The best time to try this path will be around 0900 UTC. Updated
propagation information since this bulletin was prepared is available
at: http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/por/update.htm and for more on
propagation generally see http://www.rsgb.org/society/psc.htm

(Radio Society of Great Britain GB2RS News, posted January 26, via
John Norfolk, DX LISTENING DIGEST)                            ###