[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-17 Jan 28

	DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-17, January 28, 2000
		EDITED BY GLENN HAUSER

[Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages}

        WORLD OF RADIO AND CONTINENT OF MEDIA
        SHORTWAVE-ONLY SCHEDULE AS OF JANUARY 28, 2000

You are cordially invited to listen to our weekly program WORLD OF
RADIO, primarily but not exclusively about shortwave; and our monthly
CONTINENT OF MEDIA, covering primarily non-SW media in the Americas.
We have some new times on WWCR, and the WBCQ time has shifted. RFPI
may revise its frequency schedule Feb 1. Days and times strictly UT

Wed 1730 COM RFPI 25930-USB
Wed 2230 WOR WBCQ 7415 [ex-2200]
Thu 0930 COM RFPI 6975
Thu 2130 WOR WWCR 9475 [March: 15685]
Fri 1030 WOR WWCR 7435 [NEW from Jan 21]
Fri 1900 COM RFPI 25930-USB
Fri 1930 WOR RFPI 25930-USB
Sat 0300 COM RFPI 15049 6975
Sat 0330 WOR RFPI 15049 6975
Sat 0400 WOR WWCR 3215 [NEW from Jan 29]
Sat 1100 COM RFPI 6975
Sat 1130 WOR RFPI 6975
Sat 1230 WOR WWCR 15685
Sat 1730 COM RFPI 25930-USB
Sat 1800 WOR RFPI 25930-USB
Sat 2030 WOR WWCR 12160
Sun 0130 COM RFPI 25930-USB 15049 6975
Sun 0200 WOR RFPI 25930-USB 15049 6975
Sun 0330 WOR WWCR 5070
Sun 0730 WOR WWCR 5070
Sun 0930 COM RFPI 6975
Sun 1000 WOR RFPI 6975
Sun 2300 WOR RFPI 25930-USB 15049 6975
Mon 0131 WOR WWCR 3215
Mon 0601 WOR WWCR 3210
Mon 0700 WOR RFPI 6975
Mon 1500 WOR RFPI 25930-USB [repeat default]
Tue 1200 WOR WWCR 15685 [ex-1330 from Jan 25]
Tue 1900 WOR RFPI 25930-USB
Tue 2000 COM RFPI 25930-USB
Wed 0300 WOR RFPI 15049 6975
Wed 0400 COM RFPI 15049 6975
Wed 1100 WOR RFPI 6975
Wed 1200 COM RFPI 25930-USB 6975

For latest revisions in this version of schedule see
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wormassw.html

For complete schedule of all our broadcasts, including local times
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wormast.html

** ANTARTICA. 15476, LRA 36 has been inactive during a recent
changeover of personnel at Base Esperanza, according to sources at
Comando Antartico. In the next few days, a new contingent of
personnel will arrive at the Base and the station will probably be
reactivated shortly thereafter (Gabriel Ivan Barrera, Argentina, Jan
27, Cumbre DX via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. Hi Glenn, I don't know if you followed the case of John
Laws, the Australian talk radio host who was accused of selling his
opinions (and who probably did do just that). It broke last July, and
was the talk of Australia for months. It didn't get much publicity on
the media shows, save for brief mentions on "Communications World"
and "Media Network." I followed it extensively, through reports in
the Internet media, and did a couple of long reports on it for
"International Radio Report." If you want a generally interesting
overview of this guy John Laws, check out an article [LONG] in
Saturday's "Sydney Morning Herald" at this url:
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/0001/29/spectrum/spectrum1.html>. 73-
(Bill Westenhaver, Jan 28, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC. 9900, Radio MINURCA (tentative): flirted
with this one again on a great African afternoon. 2125 rock, but
hampered by RNW on 9895. Deep fades, gone for minutes at a time and
didn't get any easier. Seemed to be splatter from Cuban jamming on
9955 that became a problem about 2200. This splatter was covering
many portions of 9900-10000. MINURCA remained weak and I could only
catch music, no announcer was audible. Hung in there till 2224, but
some Spanish-speaking folks came up to converse on 9900U so I gave
up. First time to get any audio from the 1 kW transmitter. (Hans
Johnson, FL, Jan 22 Cumbre DX via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COLOMBIA. CLANDESTINE 6060.98, La Voz de la Resistencia 2224,
Spanish ballad, then signed off with a chant/prayer, hymn, Andean
tune, ID and another anthem. Gone at 2235. Fair signal with ute and
SSB QRM. (Mark Mohrmann, VT, Jan 23, Cumbre DX via DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. Many thanks to Allen Graham for going out of his way to
get a hard copy of the HCJB Spanish program schedule to us, since it
is not available on the website and fax would not work. This one is
dated 2000y, so presumably new and current. We extract the musical
and a few topical programs which should be of broad interest and
major newscasts besides some more of 15 or 30 minutes.

Iberoamerican frequency schedule is:
0900-1100 11960 17670 [even before sunrise??]
1100-0500 6050 15140

All days here are strictly UT:

Sun 1100-1200 Musica del Ecuador
Sun 1500-1600 Musica del Ecuador
Sun 1800-1900 Allegro [classical]
Sun 2300-2400 Musica del Continente
Mon 0300-0400 Foro Latinoamericano
M-F 1130-1230 Informativo Vozandes
M-F 1700-1800 Informativo Vozandes
M-F 2000-2100 Patria Grande
M-F 2300-2400 Informativo Vozandes
Fri 0145-0200 Galapagos
T-S 0200-0230 Conozca el Ecuador
T-F 0300-0330 Informativo Vozandes
Sat 0300-0430 Concierto de Oracion
Sat 1100-1130 Musica del Ecuador
Sat 1730-1745 Musica Latinoamericana
Sat 1930-2000 Vibraciones en Jazz
Sat 2200-2300 Foro Latinoamericano

European Service:
0700-0730 9765
2130-2230 15550 12025

Mon 2145-2230 Foro Latinoamericano
Tue 0700-0730 Musica del Ecuador
Wed 2145-2215 Galapagos
Wed 2215-2230 Conozca el Ecuador
Fri 0700-0730 Musica del Ecuador
Fri 2215-2230 Conozca el Ecuador

(HCJB via Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Hi Glenn, As you know, the bands have not been good
over the last couple of days anyway. Yesterday I did listen a bit
more (after I sent the email to you) and you are right; it does
indeed sound like it's Dr. Scott's tramsmitter on 11775 [splattering
upon Indonesia].

Today Indonesia did indeed fade in at about 1845 UT, freq was a bit
different at 11784.856. So variable a bit. The splattering was again
sticking its ugly buzzies across the 25m band.

Well, at 1913 UT Indonesia was starting to approch 6 S-Units on the
WJ HF1000. I am not hearing anything on 15149.825 again today. A
dirty shame that DW uses the same channel just before 2000 UT (1955
usually) .

As is the case with many distant SW signals, Indonesia varies in
reception widely from day to day, one day it's OK, the next, nothing.
Of course I'm using some "higher" end receiving equipment and good
outdoor antennas, I don't think that a portable is going to begin to
capture a weak signal like this. Of course tuning these weak signals
using SSB mode (LSB/USB) can help a great deal.

I know the ATS 909 is not the most sensitive portable set around for
weak signals on SW (fair at best from my own testing). If the signal
was around say for another hour, you might have a chance to hear it ?

Anyway it has been most fun hunting this one. Thanks for informing
all. (Dave Zantow, Janesville, WI, Jan 28, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO? Open carrier at poor/fair strength found on Jan 28 at
1545-1700+ on 9599.84 [4 ATS-909 clicks below 9600.00] makes me
suspect XEYU has turned their transmitter back on. No modulation
audible, but possibly would have been with lower noise level. Less
likely possibility is Cuba/Rebelde staying on late (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PERU. 7141.6, R. Real, Huarmaca, Huancabamba, Piura; 0030-0100
33333 mx de la zona norte ID "Radio Real de Huarmaca" mx ID "7 y 38
de la noche en Radio Real desde Huarmaca.." mx ID "De la programación
de Radio Real de Huarmaca" mx ID "Saludos a nuestros amigos de Radio
Real de Huarmaca...." (Pedro F. Arrunategui, Lima, Jan 24, Cumbre DX)
New? Used to be a R. Ayabaca around here. (Hans Johnson, Cumbre via
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA Tatarstan. The station "Tatarstan Awazy" (Voice of
Tatarstan) now confirms listeners' reports with QSL cards. You may
address you reports to: QSL manager, P.O.Box 134, Kazan, Tatarstan,
420136, Russia. Unfortunately, due to the lack of funds, station asks
its listeners to compensate costs of printing and posting the cards.
The return postage is 1 IRC for Russia and CIS states, and 2 IRCs (or
1 US$) for the rest of the world. Alternatively, listeners in Russia
may send mint stamps (3 x postage price of ordinary internal letter).
The station also introduced the honorary diploma. To receive it,
applicants must send in 12 correct reports during a year. The diploma
costs 2 IRCs for Russia, and 4 IRCs for abroad. Direct your
applications to the above address. You will receive the detailed
diploma conditions together with your first QSL.

Voice of Tatarstan -- Schedule valid until 25 March 2000

0500-0600 15105 kHz (for Far East)
0700-0800 15105 kHz (for North-West Asia)
0900-1000 11915 kHz (for Europe)

The last programme of the day is also relayed locally on 252 kHz.
Language is mostly Tatar. Regular broadcasts in Russian go out only
on Wed (3rd transmission) and Thu (1st and 2nd transmissions).
Irregularly they appear on Mon (3rd transmission) and Tue (1st and
2nd transmissions). On week-days, station transmits news bulletins in
Russian. All programmes are produced in Kazan studios and relayed via
powerful Samara site. Broadcasting is intended for ethnic Tatars who
live outside their national republic. The info was obtained from the
station's QSL manager. (Dmitri Mezin, Russia, Jan 27 via Wolfgang
Bueschel, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. Jan 27th, I was hearing Radio Thailand with an excellent
signal at 0030 (to 0100) on 13695. I cannot hear this every day
either, as I was unable to hear even a faint signal on 1/28 (next
day). Portugal was winning on 13700 this night. Regards, (Dave
Zantow, Janesville, WI, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Ironically, in countries that demonize the United States
such as Iran and Afghanistan, more people listen to Voice of America
than any other foreign radio service, according to surveys in 1998
and 1999 by the VOA Office of Research.

Some 91 million people each week listen to VOA worldwide, an increase
of 5 million over 1998, the VOA reports. Half the listeners are
concentrated in five countries: Nigeria, Bangladesh, China, Ethiopia
and Afghanistan. The next five countries, in terms of numbers of
listeners are Iran, Burma, Tanzania, India and Ukraine. (Ben Barber,
Washington Times, Jan 24, via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

For complete article, see http://www.washtimes.com/national/news3-012400.htm
(Sonny Ashimori, Cumbre DX)

And the NY Times recently ran an article that VOA and RFE Serbian
broadcasts have been cut back to approximately what they were before
the war (gh, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Have to chuckle at 570 radio here in Dallas....they haven't
rcvd their new call yet and in near desperation hammering home "The
Big 570." Come legal ID time they are using "The Big 570" followed by
"KLIF" played at five times the speed of sound ~~ so fast ya have to
be alert for it coming and then the reaction still is "what the hell
was that." Clever I guess. Guess you have a bit of snow...we are iced
up here outside Dallas, 31 was our high today...antennas are still
sagging under ice weight. 73 from (Bill Smith, W5USM "Shortwave Since
1950", Jan 28, DX LISTENING DIGEST)                    ###