Re: [HCDX]: sound processing results ?

Guido

I've been trying DSP software on some old DX recordings.  The two
programs I've tried are DARTpro32 (http://www.dartpro.com) and Pristine
Sounds (http://www.pristinesounds.com).  Both are loaded with audio
processing features and sell for about $100US.  You can download
shareware versions from their web sites, the evaluation versions limit
you to 30 seconds per recording but you can try most of the other
features.

Both programs are good at improving the subjective listening quality of
the recordings, in terms of reducing tape hiss, adjacent channel
interference, atmospheric noise, and possibly electrical noise.
However, you have to experiment with the settings many times before you
get decent results (it's a lot easier to make a recording sound worse
than it is to make it sound better!)  Although the programs do make the
recordings sound "cleaner", I've found very little improvement in
readability.  Sometimes there's a word or two I wasn't sure about that's
now distinct, but that's about it.

Bruce