[HCDX]: Re: Somali mail

Hi,

in early 1997 Radio Hargeisa was heard here
in Finland on 7537 and I tried to send them a
reception report. I contacted our Postal Service
Headquarters and they told me that letters from
Finland to Somalia are ok and they'll be delivered
to Hargeisa Airport. Anyway, after couple of days
my envelope bounced back (from Frankfurt I guess)
with "Retour - service postal suspendu" markings.
Earlier I had noticed that the Ethiopian Postal
Service was very reliable, so I decided to try
them. New envelope, this time "via Ethiopia"
was sent. Couple of weeks went by and again
my envelope came back. This time it had travelled
to the town of Jijiga near the Ethiopia-Somaliland
border. Good try. Checking the map, I noticed there
is (or has been) a railway from Djibouti to Hargeisa.
Next letter was sent "via Djibouti". And still waiting
for the results :-). At this stage I gave up. There
might be a chance by routing a letter via Yemen,
who knows. But of course if one has personal contacts
to the area it's best to use their help.

73's
Jari Savolainen
Finland