Re: [HCDX]: DX Locations

G'day Hermod

> You are correct in assuming that DXing near salt water is better than most
> other places. This gives boost in signals due to what is labeled "sea
> gain". This is also why many transmitter sites are located in such places.
> It gives you a better ground plane.

Yeah, it's where most of my top dx has come from. And it has been
interesting to note that in some cases even terminating the antenna a few
hundred metres further back from the ocean has had a noticible effect. (For
MW) The signals were not as good.

One or two others I know have experienced the same.

> In spite of this, many early AM transmitter were situated way inlands,
such
> as the Horby transmitter site in Sweden. Why? Because of military security
> reasons. It should be more difficult to destroy the transmitters.

That's interesting.. however that has never been the case out here in
Australia. Thankfully War has never reached our shores except for the
bombing of Darwin during WW2 and some of the West Australian Coast. Sydney
was also attacked by a midget Japanese submarine.

Where we dx from at Woodside in Victoria the Omega tower (450m high) is only
7km away. This was once regarded as a military target.. Sometimes I've
wanted to bomb the place myself while we were Dxing. hehehe Thankfully the
transmitters have been switched off in recent times..

Can now understand why a few European transmitters are where they are.
Thanks for that insight.

Dave