Re: [HCDX]: How QSL? (was: Why QSL?)

Following the debate on QSLing, I was going to come up with similar suggestions to
Mauno. It doesn't have to be an individual, DX Clubs could also become involved.

Over here the Australian Radio DX Club handles reception reports for Radio Australia
(currently handled by John Wright). John also personally handles reports for the Radio
Italia narrowcast MW stations, and has contacted other Sydney-based narrowcasters - as
a consequence it is now possible to get replies from some of these. Reports to CFRX
Ontario are handles by the Ontario DX Association. So perhaps Clubs could volunteer to
handle reports for stations in their country.

One advantage of this would be a higher standard of reporting - the Clubs could refuse
to issue a QSL unless certain essential details are included. If the report isn't up
to standard, return a form letter advising why the QSL hasn't been granted. I believe
some of the Radio Australia reports from DXers who should know better are absolute
shockers.

Winter Monges in Venezuela has volunteered to collect reports and get them verified
for stations in his country. Post or email your report to him and he offers to visit
the station, explain what it is about and try to get a reply. As I understand it there
is no charge until he gets the QSL, when he will ask for postage costs. Have a look at
http://members.tripod.com/~wintermonges/index.html (Info via WordWide DX Club). I have
emailed him a report recently but I presume he hasn't visited Radio Tachira yet.

People know which stations are difficult to get replies from, and if there are some of
those in your local area then perhaps a call to the station, asking them if they know
about QSLs and what to do with them - and possibly offering help - may not go astray.
The worst that can happen is a station will say they are not interested in replying,
or having anyone reply for them. At least we then know where we stand and can save
money on trying to report that station.

This counts for MW and SW stations equally, and not only to those people living in the
bush. Perhaps we should check our local MW stations and see what their policy is - if
anyone is having trouble with Sydney or Newcastle MW stations, then send me an email
and I will see what I can do. I might need some help the other way soon, hopefully I
will get some more North Americans in the next few months.

As for postage costs, I wouldn't plan on seeing people making a profit from this.
Postage from Australia worldwide is now A$1.50 max for a standard letter, so US$1
should cover it. We can simply do it as a way to help others in the same hobby, and
hope someone will do the same for us. I prefer sending stamps if possible, that way
there is hopefully less temptation for the person at the other end to simply pocket
the money - but access to stamps from some countries is a problem (if anyone wants
some A$1.50 stamps then let me know, I have already done swaps with North America and
New Zealand - and I am sure something can be worked out either as a stamp swap or for
the equivalent in US$.) Of course that is only worthwhile if you plan on sending a
number of reports to the one country.

That all turned into a bit of a rambling conversation, but has hopefully shed a bit
more light on the subject.

Richard