[HCDX]: Why QSL? (was: Re: addresses)

In DXing, as in other activities, you will find all sorts of people, from outright crooks to bona fide hobbyists.

I have met with people who said that they did not mind using the WRH (this was before the book was renamed WRTH) for "programme details". And I have seen their veries, which helped them win the QSL ranking competitions of the day.

I have also met with people whose action was fraudulent, and yet unintentional. One case was a DXer whose hearing was damaged during WW II. Despite his handicap, or perhaps rather on account of it, he was keenly interested in DXing, eagerly trying to decipher those tiny and squeaky noises you sometimes encounter when tuning the bands on a poorly aligned receiver.

At the end of the 50´s this guy had assembled an unprecedented collection of pennants from Mexican MW stations.  At this time, during live and open stage broadcasts, stations in Latin America and the Philippines (the Roman Catholic church being the common denominator) used to attach a big pennant onto their microphones so that all attendants would be aware of which station was transmitting the event.

Typically, these rectangular-shaped pennants would measure 20 x 50 cm or so, showing the station call sign in yellow on a background of green. There would be no other logo on the pennant, only the call letters.

This OM from the town of Avesta, in Sweden, had a large number of these unique items on the wall at the entrance of his house. Most of them were from Mexicans that have yet to be logged by Lemmenjoki DXpeditiionaries.

Those who knew this guy said he was was friendly and generous, but to the "fundamentalist" Swedish DXing community his attitude was inadmissible, and so he was ousted from submitting logs and QSL´s to the current publications.