Re: [HCDX]: Why QSL? (Paraguay story)

I've never used an embassy or similar office to help me get
a QSL. I did once, unintentionally, get the help of another
station. In 1988 I had a friend who was going to Paraguay
to do some research. He had lived there for several years
and spoke both Spanish and Guarani (Paraguay's second
official language) fluently. The later is very unusual for
a foreigner. My friend took reports of mine for Radio
Nacional in Asuncion and for Radio Encarnacion (11940v
kHz), although he didn't expect to get to the city of
Encarnacion.

His Guarani wowed the people at Radio Nacional and he got
me a nice QSL and several good pictures for me. At that
point in his visit he knew he wouldn't get to Encarnacion
and he mentioned the Radio Encarncion report to the manager
at Radio Nacional. The manager said not to worry, they had
a special courier who was going to Encarnacion the next
day. The courier could take the report and deliver it in
person along with a letter from the manager instructing the
station to answer my letter. My friend handed over my
report, not exactly expecting any results.

Did it really get sent by special courier? I don't know,
but less than two weeks later - before my friend was back
from Paraguay - I had a QSL in the mailbox from Radio
Encarncion, sent via special handling, registered mail.

In this instance, the power of high officials obviously
worked in my favor. Ironically, I did not receive a QSL
from Radio Nacional in 1985 for the same reason - power of
officals. I visited the station that year while in
Asuncion, but had waited until my last day in the city to
go there. It turned out to be a holiday, which I hadn't
read about, and all the higher officials at the station
were gone. Only a few lowly announcers and technical people
were there. Although very polite (they gave me a great
tour), they all refused  to issue me a QSL since that was
clearly an important document that only someone like a
manager could sign.

=====
Don Moore     mooredxer@xxxxxxxxx
Radio: http://www.swl.net/patepluma