[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-59 April 26

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-59 April 26

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-59, April 26, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages. DXLD may not be reposted
in its entirety without permission}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO EXTRA 33: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/worx33.html

** ARGENTINA. 29810: Good News for LA-DXers. Tired of staying awake
all night long for getting those elusive signals from far away Latin
American stns? So, why not try for R Rivadavia from Buenos Aires,
which currently (1200 UTC) can be heard quite well on 29809.95 USB (yes!) with its usual program of nx and ads. While not being a real
rare catch, I have never before heard them on such a high freq. It certainly is one of these feeder freqs (like 8098, 15820 etc). Good hunt! (Harald Kuhl, Germany, Apr 24 via Wolfgang Bueschel, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CBC's Kitchen Party hosting Internet's first big singalong

The Nova Scotia Kitchen Party announces the first world-wide Internet sing-along.
On Saturday, April 29, CBC Radio One will broadcast the first (to its knowledge) live world-wide Internet sing-a-long from the Nova Scotia Kitchen Party. The broadcast will be live in RealAudio at http://www.halifax.cbc.ca/kitchenparty and on CBC Radio One at 4:05 p.m. [1905 UT]
Everyone is invited to sing a tribute to the great Stan Rogers.
The lyrics to Barrett's Privateers will be posted on the Web site. Join host Max MacDonald, McGinty, Frank Leahy, Rawlins Cross and the live audience for the final broadcast of the 11-week series.
Tickets are going fast to see the live show at Pier 21 in Halifax.
They are $15 and are available through Sobeys outlets and the Metro
Centre box office. Call 451-1221. - DN (Halifax Daily News, April 20, via Mike Cooper, Atlanta GA, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHECHNYA. A while ago Anatoly Klepov was running in his "RUS-DX" newsletter a frequency list for Radio Chechnya Svobodnaya, which also included 828 with 100 kW from a "mobile transmitter in Chechnya". The mentioned radio train was described to be able to cover the whole Caucasus region on both long- and mediumwave, suggesting more powerful transmitters than this 100 kW one, which I understand is put on a car instead. Perhaps the 828 frequency is actually operational already for a while and the now reported transmitter the second one (Kai Ludwig,
Germany, April 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. China Radio International to revamp English programming

Text of report by China Radio International newsletter 'The Messenger'
May-Jun 00 edition

Listeners at home and abroad will soon be hearing some new sounds
from the English Service of China Radio International [CRI]. Right now, staff from the English Service are working hard on reformatting the whole structure of both the domestic and overseas broadcasts. The ultimate aim of the reformatting is to make it more attractive to listeners.

The new format will combine daily news and current affairs together.
Our domestic and overseas reporters will bring the most up-to-date stories to our listeners. In an hour-long programme the first 30 minutes will be dedicated to international news and in-depth reports from CRI overseas correspondents, followed by domestic news and current affairs. On special occasions, major domestic news will be given priority. Frequent news updating will be stressed in this new format. Regular voice reports from CRI's overseas correspondents will be the striking feature of this new format.

The second half of the programme will take the format of a radio
magazine, concentrating on the extensive coverage of one particular field per day (e.g. sports, culture, social life). Listeners can hear how the ordinary Chinese people's life has changed and continues to change day by day, of exciting moments in Chinese sports, unique customs and development in different parts of China as well as major cultural events and a detailed introduction to China's cultural heritage. Weekend programmes will involve more participation of overseas listeners, not only in questions and answers, but also in real programme production.

This is just a brief introduction to the coming changes in the
programmes. You will find more surprises very soon.

Source: 'The Messenger', Beijing, in English May-Jun 00 (via BBC
Monitoring via DXLD)

** COLOMBIA. 5975, Abril 23: Radio Macarena/Radio Autentica, Villavicencio, reactivated frequency!! 1245-, SIO 242, with ``Tu Historia Preferida`` (religious program), Slogan "Radio Macarena,
llega mas lejos!". Also heard a 1940 UT, SIo 343, with gospel music (Yimber Gaviria, Colombia, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. R HCJB explored a new antenna farm field and purchased
the real estate. On Mar 17th, Mr. Engineer Gonzales Calbaral reported
to the managing board of Radio HCJB Quito that a suitable new antenna farm field has been explored on the Pacific coast near the peninsula Santa Elena 100 kms west of Guayaquil.

In the meantime that land has been purchased and the whole field is
fenced now; it will be prepared for the move.

The reason for the move is the Ecuadorian government plan, to erect the new Quito airport and the airway slope in direction to the HCJB's Pifo tx site. The project has been postponed few times yet, due to
the heavy economic crisis in the country. The move of the HCJB technical tx and antenna installations will start as late as the airport building started already. (DFC via Dr. Hansjoerg Biener
"Medien aktuell", Apr 22 via Wolfgang Bueschel, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE [and non]. The Greeks finally got their act together with
the Voice of America. The Delano transmitter on 17705 had been down
for the last ten days since April 11; it came back April 20 for the 1800-2200 service to NAm. 17565 has been cut back to two hours 2000-
2200 since March 26. April 21, VOA-USA in Delano finally shifted from
9690 to 15455 and exended an additional four hours, now 1200-1800.

The Greek elecions were the previous Sunday; PASOK made it again.
Maybe that was the word they were looking for, a continuation of the
powers that be. After a weak start on 15455, it built up to SINPO
55555.

VOG services to N & S America now shape up this way; all from
monitoring and frequency announcements in Greek at the beginning of
the services; nothing yet officially from VOG:

N America, Europe:
0000-0350 7450 9420 12110 15630
0600-0800 7475 9375 9420 15630
1200-1800 9420 15455 15630
1800-2200 9420 15630 17705

S America, Europe:
2000-2200 17565
2200-2250 12105
2300-2350 7475 9380 9420 12105

Internet: http://ert.ntua.gr

The only news in English I am aware of happens M-F 0200-0210; I do
not know the status of English which at one time were at 1900 on Sat
or Sun (John Babbis, Maryland, April 21, DX LISTENING DIGEST) As we
reported in the meantime, reconfirmed Sunday now at 1800, and also
English news at 0600 (gh, DXLD)

** GUATEMALA. R. Verdad, 4052.5, Chiquimula: I received today a very nice no-data color QSL card, full-data letter in EG from v/s: Dr. Édgar Amilcar Madrid Morales, Manager; and (get this) a bright red felt covered pressboard in the shape of a house w/ raised lettering inscribed "Dios bendiga este hogar" (God Bless this house). It's about 6x9 inches with a picture hook. All this in 1 month for $1 (w/ receipt from station). The full name of the station is 'Estación Educativa Evangélica Radio Verdad'. They are using 800 watts into a bi-pole full wave oriented NE/SW. Sched is 1125-0120 UTC. Power goes out all of the time and they are not using a compressor so they are purposely overmodulating to compensate. What Glenn and I heard in reference to their call letters TGW-1 is actually SW-1 or 'Short Wave One'. When they get their call letters they will probably be TGAV. I quote "Now,
you have won a prize, which we offered to the person who would report Radio Truth from the farthest away area" referring to the felt-board. They have been reported in Argentina, Chile, Peru, Colombia, Cuba, DR and (apparently) I was the first from the USA. Address is: Apartado 5, Chiquimula, Guatemala. (Terry Palmersheim, KC7LDP/FOØPAM, hard-
core-dx April 25 via DXLD)

** NETHERLANDS /ANTILLES. Hi Glenn, Just to let you know that I have updated the schedule at http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/schedule.html with current information. As you will see, the 0430-0530 English transmission has been restored on 9590 from Antigua. There are three transmissions out of Antigua, and also one from Ascension. Efforts are continuing to place most of the remaining transmissions elsewhere, in particular the morning services in Spanish to the Americas. I will keep you informed.

Today we received some photos of the devastated generator room at
Bonaire. I've put these on line at
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/bonaire000424.html. When you've
seen these photos you will understand why the prognosis is that it will be several months before the station is back in operation.
(Andy Sennitt, RN, April 24-26, standard disclaimer, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SLOVAKIA. R. Slovakia International: Not only the two men, but the
entire team of English section announcers has been changed. The new
team announces only their first names, and they are, with correct
spelling: Oxana, Martina, Jana, Silvia, Bill, Dushan. (Six people,
the first four ladies, then two men.)

How I know: I have been reporting regularly to RSI ever since they
began broadcasting. I have phoned them twice, about interference.
lately, I asked them for a list of their English announcers, so I
could spell their names properly in reception reports. The list
arrived about two weeks ago. It is the new team.

Oxana is the head of the English section. The new team seems to be
just as good as he old one. Still, I miss he old team. Best wishes.
(David Crystal, Israel, April 10, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. Lviv continues on 21510, noted today to put a weak scatter signal and a significant echo here into the skip zone. It seems they decided to use this frequency instead of originally planned 21520 for whatever reason, perhaps simply because it is included in their registrations, which are otherwise just wishful thinking (Nikolayev-
Kopani "Simferopol" frequencies etc.) (Kai Ludwig, Germany, April 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]/ MOROCCO. Polisario radio moves dial-position after interference

On 21st April and subsequent days, the Moroccan state broadcaster RTM
was noted using the same frequency, 7470 kHz, as Polisario radio, National Radio of the Saharan Arab Democratic Republic. The programmes of the Moroccan National Channel were effectively causing interference to the 2200 gmt Polisario radio transmission.

There has been an apparent response to the interference: Since 23rd
April Polisario radio has been heard on a new frequency - 10 kHz lower on 7460 kHz.

The Polisario Front campaigns for an independent Western Sahara. There
has been a recent clampdown on the Moroccan domestic media, following
attempts to criticize Morocco's policy towards the disputed Western Sahara.

According to the Polisario radio's web site (http://web.jet.es/rasd),
it broadcasts from Bir Lehlu in a Polisario-controlled part of Western
Sahara, about 200 km south-west of Tindouf, Algeria - although this has not been confirmed. The radio also broadcasts in the range 1540-1550 kHz mediumwave. Source: BBC Monitoring research 26 Apr 00
(BBCM via DXLD) ###