From: jerry.monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jerry.monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 8:15 AM
To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [HCDX]: Re: horizontal loops

Patrick, couple of answers regarding your horizontal loop.

First I assume you mean a horizontal loop which is four  posts supporting
the loop at some equal height above ground,
I wonder how high off the ground the loop is.

As far as where you feed it being the corner of in the middle of a span,
that should not matter.
Probably feed it such that the feedline isn't in the way of your lawnmower..

Wonder why you opted for 230 feet , that would seem to resonate at 4.36 Mhz?

My guess is you would get equal performance for 90 and 120 meters??

As far as the performance, I have heard these antennas work excellent for
these frequencies, with regards to high and medium angle receive angle.
For low angles though  a wavelength or two longwire pointed in the desired
direction would be better.

I attribute your excellent reception, though to the fact that you were
listening in local twilight where the signals at that time even
from distant dx come in at at medium angle.

Kind of curious how you feed this antenna. If you are using coax , you might
want to find a clamp on torroid (like they use on computer monitors) and put
that on the line at the antenna end , to keep the feed line pickup from
messing up the pattern of
the loop.

Loops work great, I use circular loops for 10 and 15 meters with tremendous
results..

Jerry KC2UT
Central NY