[HCDX]: Re: Vactrols

Patrick Martin wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find Vactrols? I checked the internet and
the only source I found was in 1996 and is longer available.

These are getting hot stuff for all interested in the K9AY antenna...
(For more info on that, have a look at the HCDX web site at http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/)

To answer the question, I have dug into this matter somewhat recently, and below you will find copies of two useful answers.
The first from PerkinElmer Optoelectronics, who used to manufacture a often referred to Vactrol, now out of production. The second is from Bert, VE3QAA. Hope some of this will be of use.

Copy of message from PerkinElmer Optoelectronics:
The VTL3A series incandescent optocouplers were discontinued about 5-7 years
ago.   We do not have a direct replacement part.  The only optocouplers we
are making today are LED units. You could try our competitor Clairex at
http://www.clairex.com .  They have a part CLM310 that might be a close
equivalent to our VTL3A27.  If I can be of any further assistance please
contact me.  My numbers are listed below.

Regards;
PerkinElmer Optoelectronics-St. Louis

Al Anthony
Applications/Sales Support Engineer
Tel: 314-423-4900 ext 208
Fax: 314-423-3956
E-Mail: aanthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copy of message from Bert, VE3QAA: "I spent a frustrating 2or3 days trying to get info on Vactrols on the internet. Allied radio has them, but I found their web site useless. Entering "vactrol" produced nil, even though they are listed in their latest paper catalog. I finally phoned them.

The units you are probably interested in are:

Stock No. Mfrs. no. Resistance

980-0700 VTL5C1 200 - 600 ohms for 40 - 10 ma

980-0705 VTL5C2 200 - 800 ohms " " "

980-0715 VTL5C4 75 - 125 ohms " " "

Prices are in the range of US$ 2.50 to 2.70

I bought 10 of one type and 2 of another, and the characteristics were
quite uniform, typically within 5 percent or so of the mean."