[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-82 June 29

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-82 June 29

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-82, June 29, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser, wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages and we are provided exchange
copies. DXLD may not be reposted in its entirety without permission}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1042: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1042.html

** ARGENTINA [non]. For the longest time RAE Buenos Aires` North
American service at 0200-0300 has been thwarted at least in my area,
probably much of the east coast and Midwest, by RHC 11705 USB to US.
Add to this splatter from RCI 11715 at 0200 and it`s really no-win!!
RAE tries to reach us on 11710 (Bob Thomas, CT, June 23, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Yes, it is quite a shame. Last time I heard RAE a few years ago, the
program was well-done, tho a bit formal, with tangos here and there.
One wonders why they keep broadcasting under the circumstances. I
recall hearing that their 100 kW transmitter is running much less,
and frequency-agility is a must in today`s ISWBC world. RAE would be
much better off getting time on one of the ISB feeders on 15, 20 or
29 MHz bands, even if they are aimed at Antarctica (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. Hello Mr Glenn, I`m a director of a radio group in Brazil
that has stations in AM, FM and one specially in ShortWave: - Radio
Educadora de Limeira - 2380Khz. The Educadora has already listen in
Italy, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Swiss, Russia, Danmark and other
European and South American countries. I want to know if you or other
people everytime received my station in your country. If this
happens, contact me or, please, try to listen our station. I will be
very happy if this "meeting" of cultures really happen! We`re waiting
for your retry, Thanks, (Bruno Arcaro Bortolan, Director, Organização
Bortolan Filho, bab@xxxxxxxxxx Brazil, June 28, WORLD OF RADIO 1042,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I think it has been reported in NAm, but rarely. Here`s the current
entry in Mark Mohrmann`s list:

2379.92 BRAZIL * R Educadora, Limeira [2136-0315/0507-0637](.90-.98)
Jun 00 250 watts (Conexion Digital, Argentina) (via DXLD)

** CHINA [non]. Falungong radio to be launched on 1st July |
Text of report by BBC World Service

Members of the banned Chinese spiritual group, Falungong, say they've
set up their own radio station and will begin broadcasting on
Saturday [1st July]. Staff members in the United States say the
station will transmit news about the movement and what the Chinese
government is doing in its efforts to suppress it. They say the
broadcasts, on shortwave, will be directed at northern and central
China and will aim to let ordinary people there know about what the
movement says is the widespread persecution of its members. The
Beijing government has denounced Falungong as an evil cult and
detained many of its followers.

[An AFP news agency report on 29th June added that World Faludafa
Radio will be transmitted from 1st July at 10 p.m. Beijing time -
1400 gmt - on 9915 kHz.]

Source: BBC World Service, London, in English 1300 gmt 29 Jun 00 (via
BBC Monitoring June 29 via DXLD) We heard the above item first at
1900 UT June 29 on BBCWS news, word for word, minus the []. Let`s
see, would 9915 be KHBN which is on 9910 at other times, or something
via Merlin which has a gap on 9915 from 1000 to 1600? Another mystery
to solve (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CROATIA [and non]. This service identifies as Croatian Radio
Shortwave (Croatian: "Hrvatski Radio, Kratki Val"). Croatian Radio's
domestic first programme is also carried on shortwave channels at
various times (see Hrvatski Radio 1 schedule for further details).
Some programming is produced by the Croatian Information Centre. This
schedule, valid until 29th October 29th, is based on information
supplied by Croatian Radio and monitoring observations. Most
frequencies are relayed via transmitters at Jülich, Germany. All
broadcasts will be one hour LATER in WINTER. The Multilingual
broadcasts may include programming in Croatian, English and Spanish.

Address   : Croatian Radio, Prisavlje 3, Zagreb, Croatia
Tel       : +385 1 616 3355    Fax: +385 1 616 3347
E-mail    : zelimir.klasan@xxxxxx  Web Site: http://www.hrt.hr
Croatian Information Centre, Meduliceva 13, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Tel: +385 1 484 8634
[Croatian language entries here are relays of Domestic 1st service]
0000-0500 Daily       MULTILINGUAL         Am     9.925
0102-0125 Daily         Prog in ENGLISH
0302-0325 Daily         Prog in ENGLISH
0400-0800 Daily       CROATIAN             Eu     6.165 7.365 9.830
0500-0700 Daily       MULTILINGUAL         Eu     9.470
0700-0800 Daily       MULTILINGUAL         EuAu  13.820
0800-0900 Daily       CROATIAN             EuAu   6.165 7.365 9.830
                                                13.820
0900-1230 Daily       CROATIAN             Eu     6.165 9.830 13.830
1230-1500 Daily       CROATIAN             Eu     6.165 9.830
1500-1700 Daily       CROATIAN             Eu     6.165 9.830 13.830
1700-2000 Daily       CROATIAN             Eu     6.165 13.830
2000-2100 Daily       CROATIAN             Eu     6.165 11.805 13.830
2300-2359 Daily       MULTILINGUAL         Am     9.925
(© BBC Monitoring June 28 condensed for DXLD)

** FINLAND. Welcome to Scandinavian Weekend Radio's homepage! SWR is
Finland's first private owned shortwave radio station. Our first
transmission starts at 30th of June, 2000, 22:00 UTC. SWR's
broadcasting license is granted! More details can be found on our
news page. SWR is on the air at every month's first Saturday 24 hours
(local time), starting at Friday 22.00 UTC and ending Saturday 21.59
UTC. SWR broadcasts in 25 meter band shortwaves. Our frequencies are
11690 and 11720 kHz. Frequency used depends of interfering stations.
Studios and transmitters are located in Virrat, western Finland.
(N 62 23' E 23 37' 129 meters high from sea level.) If you want to be
informed about our transmissions and other happenings, join our e-
mail list.
             Copyright © 2000 Scandinavian Weekend Radio
             Questions and comments: info@xxxxxxxxxxx
             Webmaster: v-v.haikarainen@xxxxxxxxxxx
( http://www.swradio.net via WORLD OF RADIO 1042, DXLD)

** IRAN [non]. Radio International was first heard in late 1998 and
early 1999 via US shortwave station WWCR in Nashville Tennessee,
which hires airtime on a commercial basis. The current broadcasts,
believed to be via a hired Moldovan shortwave transmitter, were first
heard in November 1999. Radio International appears to be based in
the UK. Programming has given prominence to Ali Javadi, publisher of
'Porsesh' ('Question') journal. The station's answerphone message
also gives contact details for the UK branch of the Workers'
Communist Party of Iran and its Kurdish counterpart.
Tel: +44 (0)20 8962 2707         Alt Tel: +44 (0)711 461 1099
Fax: +44 (0)20 8346 2203
1700-1730 Daily       PERSIAN              ME        15.550
(© BBC Monitoring June 28 condensed for DXLD)

** ITALY. It's admittedly minor, but RAI appears to have kicked up
the modulation on its broadcasts in various languages on 11800 kHz
from 00 to 02 UT.

The broadcast in English (0050 UT) has a curious charm, with
announcers who usually sound as though they're in the middle of their
cigarette and/or expresso and who deign to pause briefly to read a
few news items at a leisurely pace, often punctuated by the sounds of
rustling papers. The 20-minute English-language broadcast includes
about 11 minutes of news and 9 minutes of fill music (Mike Cooper,
GA, June 28, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Well, at least they`re not dead!
(gh)

** LESOTHO. Tony Rogers, What you heard was almost certainly a report
on/recording of the current trial of military officers accused of
taking part in the September 1998 mutiny (which led to South African
troops intervening in the country to restore order). The trial is the
top news story in Lesotho at present and it is possible that in the
evening Radio Lesotho is broadcasting recorded highlights of the
day's proceedings in court. (Chris Greenway, BDXC-UK via DXLD)

** NETHERLANDS. Dear Glenn: I have the sad news received today that
my dear friend Joop ter Zee of the Free Radio Service Holland died
today at 0508 local Holland time. I was in transit today from Detroit
back to Atlanta when I had an email from Peter Verbruggen telling me
Joop had died and giving me a telephone number to call. I called
Peter about 1/2 hour after I got home and to say everyone is pretty
upset is an understatement. Joop was one of the closest friends that
I had in the SWL community, and to say there is a huge void in my
life right now is pretty accurate. Joop's funeral is July 1st. If
people need further info, please feel free to email Peter Verbruggen
at the following email address: Peter.Verbruggen@xxxxxx (Maryanne
Kehoe, Atlanta, Georgia, June 28, WORLD OF RADIO 1042, DXLD)

** PAKISTAN. English news is still at 1100-1104 on 17835 & 21460
following World Service to Western Europe. It probably is the same as
that broadcast on 9540 in the Home Service, but I cannot confirm
this. I have heard another English news which I think was within
either this or the evening (1700-1900) World Service to WEu - I will
pay closer attention. Their Turkish service 1700-1730 also used to
feature some English, but I have not noted this recently. Please keep
up the good work - it makes for excellent reading and listening! 73's
(Noël Green, England, June 28, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOMALIA. New radio station reportedly set up in Mogadishu |
Excerpt from report by Somali newspaper `Xog-Ogaal' on 28th June

A report says a new radio station called The People's Voice [Somali:
Codka ummadda] has been set up in Mogadishu. The radio can be heard
on the 25-metre band and has a much stronger signal than FM radios.
The new station can be heard on all types of radios. The radio, which
is still undergoing testing, is reportedly pro-faction leader Musa
Sudi Yalahow and is based in the Madina district of Mogadishu, which
is controlled by him. The People's Voice radio is expected to be on
air soon. This is the 6th radio station to be set up in Mogadishu,
excluding the FM stations... Source: `Xog-Ogaal', Mogadishu, in
Somali 28 Jun 00 (BBC Monitoring via WORLD OF RADIO 1042, DXLD) WTFK?

** U K. A record global radio audience

At least 151 million people now listen to the World Service every
week, according to the latest global audience research. This is the
World Service's biggest-ever audience, up more than eight million on
the previous year.

The new global estimate includes new data from 22 countries and
includes both short wave and FM listening. Short wave listening is
still growing and accounts for more than 70% of the total
listenership. However, FM is playing an increasingly crucial part in
raising audiences in many parts of the world. Audience research also
reveals continued high ratings for trust and impartiality by our
listeners.

Major increases were recorded in Africa and the Middle East (up 5.1
million) and Asia & the Pacific (up 5.6 million). In Nigeria, nearly
three out of ten adults are World Service listeners. There were
notable increases in many other countries, including Bangladesh,
Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgystan, Mexico, Romania and Uzbekistan.
Listeners with plentiful media choice as well as those who have few
alternative sources of reliable information rely on BBC World
Service. In Kosovo refugee camps, World Service penetration of 50%
was recorded. And there is also strong demand for World Service's
news programming in the United States among key cosmopolitan groups
in Boston, New York City and Washington, 14% of whom listen each
week.

A new national study in China gave the World Service a weekly reach
of 0.3% and showed the difficulty of building an audience there.
Nearly half the people there never listen to any radio. Audiences in
South Africa remain disappointingly small and declines were recorded
in Albania, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan, parts of Russia and Zimbabwe.
No estimate is included for important audiences that are not possible
to measure, including Burma, Iraq and Iran. The World Service also
has a million listeners in the UK, mainly tuning in overnight on
Radio 4's frequencies.

The World Service is increasingly available in the UK in high quality
sound as we utilise digital technology ? via the internet, digital
satellite and digital radio.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/annual_report/index.shtml (BBC
Annual Review 1999-2000, referred by Richard Cuff, swprograms, DXLD)

** U S A. As I mentioned in my previous message the historic ex-RCA
and Marconi coast station KPH will return to the air for a
commemorative broadcast on 12 July using its original transmitters,
frequencies and antennas. Here is the time and frequency information
for those who may want to tune in:

Time: 5:01pm Pacific time 12 July, 0001 GMT 13 July
Frequencies, HF:  4247.0, 6477.5, 8618.0, 13002.0, 17016.8 Mc/s
Frequencies, MF: 500, 426 kc/s

The broadcast on HF will start with the KPH V marker followed on HF
and 500 kc/s with a CQ advising listeners that a commemorative
broadcast will follow.  These will be sent using a Boehme keying
head reading punched paper tape.

The commemorative messages will be sent by hand on HF and 426
kc/s by veteran operators who actually stood watch at KPH, KFS,
NMC and other coast stations.

The cycle will repeat, probably every half hour, so that all
operators will be able to get in some key time. Listen particularly
for the sine of each operator so you will know who is sending. We
expect to remain on the air until about midnight Pacific time.
Good listening! Vy 73, Dick/"RD"

                        Dick Dillman, W6AWO
Chief Operator at K6KPH of the Maritime Radio Historical Society
                     Collector of Heavy Metal:
              Harleys, Willys and Radios Over 100 lbs.
(WUN June 28 via Sheldon Harvey, and ham-list via Mike Harla, DXLD)

** YUGOSERBIA. R. ``Yugoslavia`` returned to 11870 UT Fri June 23 at
0000. It had been off since the 19th for 0000 and 0400 (Bob Thomas,
CT, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZIMBABWE [non]. On 28th June I heard Radio VOP on 7215 kHz with
their 1700-1730 broadcast in English, with rather better reception
here than usual. A clip of their signature tune and identification
announcement can be found on the website at
http://www.intervalsignals.com (Dave Kernick, hard-core-dx via DXLD)

** ZIMBABWE [non]. Radio VOP - Voice of the People began broadcasting
in June 2000 about 10 days before the Zimbabwean parliamentary
elections held on 24th and 25th June. It has announced that "This
station is for every Zimbabwean, it belongs to no political party, it
does not have to answer to any advertisers. It is your station, your
views, your life and we hope that you will be entertained and
informed by our programming. Our aim is to promote peace in these
troubled political times and we hope that hearing many different
views and many different opinions, Zimbabweans together can hope
build a democratic society."

"In the future we will be talking about health, the economy, human
rights, HIV, women's rights and all the topics that are so important
to us today. With elections just around the corner we will be
focusing on the various parties contesting the elections for the
first couple of weeks. We will be explaining how to vote and what
your vote could mean to the future."

It added that the reason for using shortwave is to reach rural
communities where those behind the venture believe the government-
controlled Zimbabwean Broadcasting Corporation is not giving airtime
to opposing views.

It is believed to broadcast via a hired shortwave transmitter in
southern Africa - possibly the Radio Netherlands relay station in
Madagascar. No contact details have been announced.

Languages : English, Multilingual, Ndebele, Shona
1700-1730 Daily       MULTILINGUAL         Af         7.215
1915-1945 Daily       MULTILINGUAL         Af         7.215
(© BBC Monitoring June 28 via WORLD OF RADIO 1042, DXLD)
This reminds us of a slight error in Chris Greenway`s analysis
pointing to Madagascar, but does not detract from it: there is a 27-
minute gap between 7215 ending at 1730, and RVI relay starting at
1757 (gh)

** ZIMBABWE [non]. Hi Glenn, I read the following in DXLD (via HCDX)
00-81 June 27 :

ZIMBABWE [non]. Glenn: Re: "I can't hear 11765 (or 909 !) but 17580
appears to carry News Now (Noël Green, UK, DSWCI Jun 25) Every day?
(gh, DXLD)"

At the time I wrote that comment, I'd been listening to V of the
People on 7215 until it went off air c1730 and found a weak VOA co-
channel, which I assume was Iranawila. On checking new 17580 I found
they were in // with News Now - or, strictly speaking, Talk to
America. However, I did subsequently hear Zimbabwe Forum at 1730 on
17580, so there does seem to have been some confusion about this
outlet, viz :

On the 17 and 24 June CW, I gave 17580 as a frequency for Zimbabwe
Forum. That should have been 15460 // 11765 909. The 17580 is the new
frequency for Talk to America to compensate for losing 909. Apologies
to all. 73 (Kim Elliott, June 26, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I did not try 15460 so cannot comment about that frequency. Tonight
(June 28th) 17580 had only Talk to America. (Noel Green, England, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

I wonder if Zimbabwe Forum is going out on all the Net B frequencies
(English to Africa), which was Talk to America 1700-1800 previously.
I'll check that today. The VOA on 7215 is Philippines, I think. 73
(Kim Elliott, DC, June 29, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I asked Dan Ferguson on #swl, and here's his reply [7215 VOA at 1700-
1800]: It's Philippines, 50 kw, 285 & 105? oh, and it's MO-FR only.
Hope this helps... 73', (Mark Veldhuis, the Netherlands, hard-core-dx
June 29 via DXLD)

7215 1700 1800 VOA P ENGL PHX 01 285 12345. PHX = 'baby' Tinang - 3 x
50 kW txs in the Philippines; 285 = azimuth -> Southeast Asia
(Bill Whitacre, IBB, hard-core-dx via DXLD)            ###