RE: [HCDX] Radio Thailand in English

Hello,

This is from a recent Cumbre DX (http://www.cumbredx.org , report from
Richard Lam in Singapore):

THAILAND   On 1 July, R THA introduced a new sce in En for dom listeners.
The only annd freq is MW 918 (which formerly carried a R THA sce in Thai
for the Bangkok area), but it is also on all three of the stn's dom HF
freqs 4830, 6070 and 7115, which also formerly carried dom networks in
Thai. The annd operating times are 5 a.m - 11 p.m. LT (2200-1600 UTC).

I can confirm that s-off is indeed at 1600. Programming mostly consists of
uninterrupted American & British pop oldies, with a short recorded ID just
after the top of the hour by an American-accented male saying 'R THA, the
sound of [or 'sound and'] the soul of THA', or 'R THA, your companion in
the Land of Smiles'.

However, the stn does also relay R THA nx progrs in En, including at 0000-
0100, and also carries the ext sce progr entitled 'VoTHA' with chit-chat
and tourism promos at 1300-1330.  As with all Thai dom stns, 'ticking-
clock' mx, chimes, a time signal, time annt and Nat Anthem are carried at
0100 and 1100. A more detailed annt is made at the end of these relay
segments, and also just before s-off, when it is repeated in Thai.
Unusually for a Thai dom stn, no Royal Anthem was played at s-off on 5
July. (Alan Davies-MLA, direct and via Cumbre Jul 1-5)

I have been hearing this too on 4830, 7115 and 1296 (which used to carry R
THA Pattani). The annt on the hour was to the effect that since 1 Jul, R
THA has carried out a reorganisation of its network. 4830 is now the main
channel for Network 3, the main network for non-Thai speakers. They bc
from 0500-2300 LT (2200-1600). That said, I have yet to hear any other
langs on these freqs. I think these freqs are now relaying FM 97 MHz in
Bangkok, which for years has simulcast the ext sce and also provided its
own expatriate progrs for local listeners. Just like the Thai lang stns,
En lang stns in Bangkok relay En nx from the "ext sce" of R THA (in actual
fact FM 97), plus the clock chimes and Nat Anthem at 0100 and 1100.

On the En stns, the time annts are voice over in En, whereas Thai lang
stns would of course carry these annts in Thai. If you do manage to hear
the NA on a MW stn during these times, stay around for a stn id at the end
of the anthem. (Lam)

73',
Mark Veldhuis, the Netherlands.
E-mail: dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx