Re: [HCDX] K9AY loop installed

It's unfortunate that John in South Africa has had such a bad experience with the Wellbrook K9AY antenna. I had the opportunity to experiment with two on the Washington Coast with expert DXers John Bryant, Guy Atkins, Don Nelson, and Bill Smith this past March, and the results were nothing short of amazing. Nulling was absolutely astounding at times, especially on long and medium wave, and even slightly on the tropical bands. Performance equaled 300 to 500 meter Beverages. We even fed one from the sand dunes overlooking the ocean some 300 to 400 meters away, in order to compare it to one installed immediately adjacent the motel. The performed pretty much identically.

The main difference appears to be in the ground environment. We were on the ocean coastline, in the pouring rain, with a high water table (often above the ground!). The local power lines did not seem to cause any problem, even with the one K9AY adjacent the motel. I'm a convert!
Upto to my introduction to this antenna, I was a die-hard Beverage man, and used a T2FD at home. I know that Guy was planning on removing his T2FD as he has been so pleased with his K9AY. I personally would not be in a hurry to return the unit. Perhaps waiting for the wet season may correct the problem?

...............Good DX from Victoria, BC, Canada.

Walter R. Salmaniw, MD email: salmaniw@xxxxxxxx Victoria, British Columbia DXING FROM CANADA'S WEST COAST, using CANADA premier radio receivers:

Rockwell/Collins HF-2050
(250) 592-1033 Collins R390A,ITT Mackay 3031A,
Racal RA.117, JRC NRD 535D, and
Kenwood R5000.