Re: [HCDX] K9AY = Super Antenna?

In general, the K9AY loop does need the direct connection to ground.
However, some have experimented with disconnecting it, and at times it
gives better performance.

As far as "good" ground goes, if you look at Figures 7 & 8 in the
original QST article:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9709043.pdf

the plots show that the F/B actually is better over "poor" ground
compared to "very good" ground!  The F/B ratio of this antenna is
nowhere near as good as a pennant or flag.  And as you stated, the flag
and pennant are much less dependent on the surrounding ground.

The strength of the K9AY in my opinion lies in the ease with which you
can change directions, and if you have a Vactrol (in place of the
terminating resistor), the ease with which you can optimize your nulls.

I invite any HCDX readers interested in the K9AY loop to join a
separate discussion list on this antenna at:

http://www.egroups.com/group/K9AYloop

73's

George