Re: [HCDX] K9AY loop installed

Stig Hartvig Nielsen wrote:

> So what we need is saturated ground. This would make the K9Ay work fine - whereas a beverage would perform fine over poor soil - such as rocks and sand. Interesting.
>
> Now - when we dont have saturated ground (all year round at least) can we do the same "trick" as AM broadcasters by laying out a cobber-net on the ground or a few centimetres below the ground surface. This is probably a bit costly, but my question is - would it make the K9AY work as good as it does over saturated ground ??  And over how large an area would such a cobber net be required.

My "test" K9AY (one loop only) showed no directional characteristics without a decent ground. I laid out about 10 radials on top of the ground, each 10-20'in length (limited by the backyard). While our ground is quite damp at this time of year, that certainly made the aerial useful. So some sort of permanent earth is probably worthwhile, but for a DXpedition or temporary installation some
wires laid out over the ground seem to work quite well.

Richard