[HCDX] 1206 & 1377: thanks for help

Here's a compendium of ideas from Medium Wave Circle and Hard Core DX
members about my recent unID's on 1206 and 1377 (logged from Eastham, MA on
UTC 6 AUG).  Thanks for all the help.

*** 1206 ideas ***

I wrote "A Koranic vocal was heard on 1206 kHz at 0050 UTC ... seemingly not
the typical fare from Israel or France."

 Thomas Adam, Germany <adam@xxxxxx>
"In April I heard Morocco on 1206v // SW (15345 kHz). "

Dave Kenny, UK <dave_kenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"1206 could be by Radio Payam, Iran (a national news network from Tehran)
Payam is also live on the IRIB web site, so may be possible to get a
parallel."

My conclusions: Propagation loss to from here to Morocco is much less than
from here to Iran, although enhancements of Middle Eastern signals over
normally-easier more-westerly stations can occur with ionospheric tilting
prior to dawn on the transmitter end.  I'll check for that 15345 parallel
next time.  I do get 1503 Iran sometimes, so maybe they'd be parallel (or a
shortwave freq. ?)  A Web site parallel is not of much use to me since
receiving is done in the car at seaside sites (not at home) and I don't have
a laptop with wireless modem yet.  If Radio Payam is a news station, would
Koranic chanting be a likely component of the programming ?

*** 1377 ideas ***

I wrote "Middle Eastern sounding music (strings, etc.) on 1377 kHz at 0055
UTC - likely not France unless some kind of ethnic service."

Steve Whitt, UK <steve.whitt@xxxxxx>
"1377 probably either Asian Sound from Manchester, England (but that's high
latitude signal path), or RFA Tanzania.  Despite much listening around
midnight UTC these are the only two stations I observe on 1377 in SE
England."

Martin Elbe, Germany <elbe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Most likely Prizren/Kosovo. They carry German programming from 'Radio
Andernach' (a service for German soldiers, like BFBS or AFRTS) from 18-21
UTC, later on own programming in Albanian. France signs off at around 1830
UTC."
"Steve, may I suggest to try it earlier, between 20-21 UTC. Depending on
conditions I can hear either Prizren with the R. Andernach programming
(sounds a little overmodulated, format is pop-music of course with few
German announcements), then an UNID Chinese station, carrying mostly
classical music, waltzes etc. On most days Tanzania comes through already at
that time, and then of course there is Asian Sound pesting.  The Chinese
station fades out at around 21 UTC, so I think, it's really Fujian, as my 98
WRTH suggests. Sunrise there, while the rest of China is still in the dark."
"Is just now (2030 UTC) coming through with a SINPO of 44343. They had a
Chinese ID at 2030, have to listen to the Minidisk to puzzle that out."
"Found 7935 kHz in parallel. So it's CNR1. ID at 2100 mentioned Beijing
too."

Christoph Mayer, Germany <cm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(re China) "Try to check SW parallels of CNR1 and CNR2. This spring, I got
the CNR1-px
at about the same time on 1377."

 Max van Arnhem, Netherlands <mvarnhem@xxxxxx>
(re China) "The station is still audible here in the Netherlands at 21.25
UTC.  ALA1530 direction north-east gives best reception: male and female
Chinese talks."

Julius Hermans, Netherlands <hermans.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Regarding your station on 1377: if the music sounded a bit Indian it could
well have been Asian Sound from the UK, this station is quite dominant on
1377 over the last days here in Holland."

Dave Kenny, UK <dave_kenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"1377 could the music be Balkan/Albanian? - if so perhaps Radio Prizren from
Kosovo "

My conclusion: Kosovo, next to Albania, is far enough south that the
propagation could be viable.  The Muslim culture of Albania has music
plausibly similar to what I heard.  It didn't really sound Indian and if UK
was propagating that well I would have had one of their 1548 stations
competing with VOA Kuwait.  Virgin-1215 would have been overriding Spain.
That wasn't the case.  The only UK signals of decent strength were 693 and
1089.  Would Tanzania have Middle Eastern sounding string music ?  China, of
course, would not be heard here in August ... if ever.  Earliest
Trans-Atlantic fade-ins now are at about 2245 UTC and you have to be right
at the seaside to manage that.  Saudi Arabia on 1521 is the usually the
first station to fade in.  Unfortunately this "juggernaut" shares the
channel of the most likely Chinese station to be heard here.  In the days
when Urumqi was on 1525, it was often logged in autumn around sunset on the
east coast of the USA and Canada.