[HCDX] Isle of Man Longwave radio

Letter from our CEO

14th August 2000
Dear Browser,
We've just completed a very arduous period during which we have examined and
re-examined all the criteria used to select our site. Assisted by a first
class team of experts we have assembled a stout and robust defence to our
planning application, which is to be considered by a Special Inquiry sitting
on the Isle of Man in September.

The Inquiry will consider several objections to our proposals, all of which
we are certain we can firmly rebuff.   It's taken almost a year to get a
decision on the matter - it was October 6th 1999 that we submitted our
request for planning permission to build the transmission facility.  A lot
has happened in that time.

Finally we are ready. Today  the Proofs of Evidence were submitted to the
Office of the Planning Inspector and we can now make the final preparations
for the Inquiry itself. It takes starts at 11 am on Monday 11th September at
the Grand Island Hotel, on the outskirts of Ramsey. A superb location and
one I recommend if you are in the area. The hotel has direct access to the
beautiful Ramsey Bay beach, and one of the best collections of Scotch on the
Isle of Man (what a pity I am a rum drinker!).

Elsewhere on our web site you will find details of our engineering
proposals, and some updated views of the area showing our antenna in place.
Perhaps you will have some thoughts after looking at these? I would be
delighted to hear from you, either by fax (UK 01 624 817094)  by e-mail
(CEO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) or by the regular post. (P O Box 279, Ramsey, Isle
of Man).

This weekend we welcomed our intrepid Director of Engineering, Derrick
Connolly, back from a trip to the Egyptian border with the Sudan, where he
has been supervising a further set of measurements on how well the Crossed
Field Antenna performs.  The results will be released at the time of the
Inquiry and we hope to put full details on this site.  Despite baking in the
searing 115 degrees heat,  running the gauntlet of wild herds of camels and
risking meeting marauding Sudanese bandits, Derrick came back pleased as
punch (and ready for a few English beers).  Pictured below you can see
Derrick Connolly with Dr Brian Stewart enduring a sandstorm with the  100
kilowatt Barnis CFA beaming away (surely thats what radio antennas do???) in
the background.

On a more serious note, it was on this day in 1967 that the UK lost a fleet
of  ship borne radio stations that once had a combined audience of over 10
million -  Radio London, Radio 270 and Radio Scotland all closed down that
dreadful day, which suitably was one of heavy rain and a howling gale.
Radio Caroline, with one ship off Frinton, Essex, and another here in Ramsey
Bay continued, bravely defying the powers at Westminster who wanted all
radio run from London.   The Isle of Man Government bravely stood up to
Westminster and demanded that the Island be given its own high power
international radio station.

Now after a long series of battles in Geneva, London, and skirmishes in
other countries around Europe, we are on the brink of hearing a truly free
Manx voice.  The long time it has taken has been worth the struggle, and we
are now within sight of that goal.  Why not get some new batteries ready for
your radios.

Paul Rusling