[HCDX] Re: CBC 6160

Re: 6160 Newfoundland vs. Vancouver

I think Newfoundland has been 24 hrs for a long time, contrary to
old published skeds indicating an off period overnight. They
merely ran CBC network overnight similar to now. Back then, it was
the FM network's "Brave New Waves" show.

As evidence for this I suggest the following: One morning a few
years ago, I heard CBC on 6160. I was hoping I had Vancouver, but
suddenly, the Newfoundland Sign-on was slammed into the audio
chain. There was no signal strength change that you would get if
they had just powered up to obliterate Vancouver. I suspect a lot
of eastern-north-american dx'ers have heard Newfoundland
overnight, and still believe they heard Vancouver due to the
published schedules.

Be careful folks - check pgm hour and time to make SURE you have
the right Canadian time-zone before jumping to conclusions.

The old CBC 940 in Montreal did quite a few unannounced
overnight relays of Brave New Waves too, presumably for testing
purposes. 6160 Newfoundland may have done that too; if they
were not on every night.

Larry in Michigan USA