Re: [HCDX] e-mail address

Impressive as they may seem, the e-mail lists Pentti refers to
contain information which is highly volatile and thus subject to
frequent changes. At least as far as Latin America is concerned.
Just as in the case of an ordinary frequency listing one cannot be
sure if the info is up to date or not.

So don´t take anything for granted. There is no such thing as a
free lunch. There are, in fact, quite a lot of people that earn a buck
or two in exchange for their skills. This happens in the realm of
DXing, too.

Incidentally, and returning to the topic of e-mail addresses, you might
stand a better chance of obtaining a reply if you use the real name
of the person you are writing to, not just his acronym or pseudonym
contained in the e-mail address. By crossreferencing the address info
with that of some other list, you may be lucky to find the appropriate
full name of the hitherto anonymous veriesigner. But who has got the time
to check it out, and what if the info is already out of date?

So if you are in a hurry, the phone may prove to be ultimate solution
for some of the LA stations Daniele mentions. The phone is, in fact, the
missing chain between p-mail and e-mail. In many parts of Latin America,
the phone is novel. While postal services are expensive and unreliable,
the Internet is still on the wanting list. Some Bolivian phone numbers are
in the Database I mentioned in an earlier posting today. (All of the URL
should be used, even the part which does not come underlined and has
to be typed manually).

Among the Peruvians mentioned,  R Satélite and Ondas del Río Mayo had
their phones only 3 years ago. I suppose I can´t list their numbers here on the
HCDX list, as they are listed on another site, which is copyright  ;-)  ;-) but
by all means feel free to find them for yourself at
http://www.algonet.se/~ahk/Dline97.htm

If desperation sets in after many failed p-mail and e-mail reports, then
it´s the right time to phone in your report. But in so doing, don´t forget to
record your conversation with the party at the other end of the line.
As an initial precaution, it is essential to ask the receiving party to verify
that he or she is speaking on behalf of the station you wish to have
verified. Too many people will answer by saying "aló" or "bueno" or "a ver"
or whatever, and or course won´t do.  Once you have inquired about the
other party´s health, given your own local time and explained from which
country you are calling  (this is the difficult part, because such info rarely
comes in the standard report forms, but no doubt someone could work
them out for general usage as soon as the QSLing habits evolve)  you
may proceed to quote the programme detail you have in your log book in
order to see if the other party is in a position to verify your reception. With
the present-day low cost fares, you may thus obtain a verie in no more than
two or three minutes for the equivalent of one or two dollars. And by phoning
the station, no one can claim to have been a middleman in the process ;-)

Many people in Latin America will understand a few words in languages
different to their own. Some station managers are fluent in English. Others
are not. But, strictly speaking, why wouldn´t a voice QSL count as much as a few
lines scribbled on a plain sheet of paper? I have collected many of both kinds
over the years. Of course, if needed, you could have the voice message
transcribed to a piece of paper or cardboard which would facilitate its storage.

Finally, as for La Voz de Bolivia, which still is R Illimani, their e-mail adress
was submitted to the HCDX list July 27, by German DXer Michael Sander.
I used the address myself to inquire about their satellite relay and the answer
was published on DXLD a fortnight later. See
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/dxld0101.txt

It is illimani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but when writing please be sure to address
your message to the general manager, whose name is Gabriel Astorga Guachalla.
I don´t think he would mind receiving e-mail DX reports, but the PO Box is OK, too,
he said.

If he cares to answer is an altogether different matter.

Personally, I no longer look for veries.

Henrik Klemetz