Re: [HCDX] EWE Antenna

Hi all,

My understanding of a EWE antenna is that it approximates a Yagi design with
the front vertical being the driven element and the rear vertical the
reflector. The horizontal segment is a connector rather than intended to act
as an aerial. Following that premise, the rear vertical should be 5% larger
than the front vertical if unidirectionality is desired. Theory would
suggest that it would be possible to add one or more directors in front of
the driven element to further increase directivity. In all this, the spacing
between the vertical components would be critical and thus make this antenna
more suited to uni-band design.

Running a second wire to connect the lower ends together would turn the
aerial into a loop rather than a quasi-Yagi...

Not sure the exact purpose of the earthing... whether it's impedance
matching or designed to mirror-image the antenna in the ground... would like
to learn more.

Plenty of room for experimentation!

Cheers,

Paul