[HCDX] Niscemi Sicili * 6847khz * QSL Followup

[HCDX] Niscemi Sicili * 6847khz * QSL Followup

I have received a few e-mails regarding the QSL I received from Niscemi so I
am posting this to try answer all of your inquiries at once.  Electronic and
print publications may edit this as needed to fit.

I originally sent reports to Naval Media Center Washington for 6847.5 (August
13, 2000) and 16847 (August 14, 2000).  For both I received letters back
stating neither was a published / authorized frequency for AFN.  So I set out
and sent reports for both frequencies to NAVCOMTELSTA Sigonella and NCTS
Diego Garcia.  Apparently one of them (I presume Sigonella) forwarded by
report to Niscemi.

My full data typewritten QSL has a return address of PSC812, Box 3290, NRTF
Niscemi,  FPO AE 09627-3290.   In part it states "This signal originated from
Naval Radio Transmitter Facility Niscemi, Sicily".

Regarding the locations of Niscemi and Sigonella I spent an hour on the
Internet last night and came up with the following which leads me to believe
Niscemi is about 75 kilometers from Sigonella:

Niscemi is located 80 kilometers west of Catania, and it appears to be a few
kilometers northeast of Gela, which is on the Southwest coast of Sicily.

Sigonella is located about 7 kilometers southwest of Catania, and 5 km from
the East Coast of Sicily.  It is in the Valley of Catania near Motta, Sicily.

After searching several different Internet sites I finally found the
following:
Niscemi is at 37N 6' 16" and 14E 6' 25"
Sigonella is at 37N 24' 07.92"  and 14E 55' 20.64"

I hope this answers all of your e-mails regarding my QSL, etc.

(I have not yet received any verification for 16847usb on August 14)

Lee Silvi
Mentor, Ohio