[HCDX] Survivor Dx

Hi Dan

>What an story!  Hope they didn't hurt your SPR-4...which I have found to be a Great DXPedition receiver...
No thankfully we had preamps with crocodile clips.. they just pulled away. Happened twice, later on in the evening we had a wallaby get tangled in the wire and drag it for a bit. Had fun walking through the snake infested grass. There were copperhead & tigersnakes everywhere. Nearly stepped on a few. The park ranger told us later that it is one of the worst snake invested areas of Victoria.. And here I was sleeping with the tent open at night to cool down. lol. And yeah.. I find the SPR4 to be a great DXpedition receiver. The power consumption is great.. It's sensitive & if you can get over the 500 kHz tuning steps.. and the poor filters then I think it rates as one of the best MW rigs. I've done the mods to it that have given it a narrower filter.. however would still like something a bit in between.

>How was the noise levels?  It should have been quiet.

Noise levels are mostly okay although here in Australia we have had record thunderstorms especially in the north. It really depends on the time of the year & how far north you go. Getting up to the top end of Western Australia, Queensland & the Northern Territory you start getting the heat lightning & noise from the tropics. Perth is fine. I'd head just south of Perth to dx if I was you. Albany, Bunbury etc. You should get a truckload of Africans and Asians.

>I am coming to Australia (West Australia) and plan to do similar things with an AOR7030+ while I'm there.  >Hopefully I won't run across any bodies!!

You will enjoy Western Australia.. Beautiful warm climate & so many places to dx from. There is so much wilderness to dx from. If you are into Indonesians then this is the place.

As Mark Fine suggested.. It can be Survivor dx though. hehehe.

Cheers
Dave